Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CIC June Updates to IMM 5589 (common law sponsorship)

CIC June Updates to IMM 5589 (common law sponsorship)

Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

honeymuffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIC June Updates to IMM 5589 (common law sponsorship)

Hi there!

I was about to submit our application for spousal sponsorship (common law inland), and noticed that the document checklist had been changed a bit. I ended up rearranging the application with the new checklist:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5589E.pdf

The forms have become even more easy to fill out and understandable.

Some things I noticed (please give feedback to this):
1) The checklist only asks for supporting documents showing you are currently living together for applicants who are common-law, and not for the past 12 months (which the last version clearly asked for). The focus seems to be more on the relationship being genuine, and not about proving the 12 months history.

2) The asked documentation for employment/source of financial support has become more detailed. Does anyone know of the requirements for ability to support your partner has changed? I thought there were no such requirements. Or perhaps CiC only like to know how we are planning to sustain ourselves?

I'm just a bit unsure about how much these two things will impact the decision of the application. We have joint leases to prove 12 months living together, but our finances are a bit strained, especially since one of us is currently unable to work due to being on visitor status.

Any insights are welcome.
Thank you :-)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 6:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC June Updates to IMM 5589 (common law sponsorship)

Don't know if the answers are in there, but I'm assuming you've checked the FAQ about the new forms? http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...-forms-892311/

And just checking, but you mention the checklist changing, the forms did too and if you submit old ones your application will now be rejected (they did give a grace period after the forms changed initially, but that's now passed). So do make sure you are definitely using the current forms!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

honeymuffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Christmasoompa,
I'm referring to changes made this month, and it seems many are not aware of it, please see link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2017-06-13.asp

Thanks

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't know if the answers are in there, but I'm assuming you've checked the FAQ about the new forms? http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...-forms-892311/

And just checking, but you mention the checklist changing, the forms did too and if you submit old ones your application will now be rejected (they did give a grace period after the forms changed initially, but that's now passed). So do make sure you are definitely using the current forms!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 3:08 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a look, and in the Reminder section of the "Proof of Relationship to Sponsor" section (Item 7), it still says: If you are applying under the Family Class, you need to show that you previously cohabited in a common-law relationship for a minimum of 12 months.

So while the list of required documents (from which you have to provide two) doesn't explicitly list 12 months of proof, you still do have to satisfy CIC that you qualify as common-law, which means 12 months of cohabitation.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymuffin
Hi Christmasoompa,
I'm referring to changes made this month, and it seems many are not aware of it, please see link:

Notice – Updated spousal guides and checklists

Thanks
Yes, as long as you're using the current forms then that's ok - wanted to check just in case!