Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Child with ADHD / Autism; Can we pass Canada Medical?

Child with ADHD / Autism; Can we pass Canada Medical?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road
Default Child with ADHD / Autism; Can we pass Canada Medical?

Dear All,

A friend of mine got kid with mild ADHD / autism symptoms although he is self dependant for all his basic needs.

He has applied for Canadian immigration and process is now about to complete. He is worried about the passing his medical exam.

Can anyone please guide on this including any past references of similar cases.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Fred, F.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

TheStennings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child with ADHD / Autism; Can we pass Canada Medical?

Hi

Our 13 year old son has mild autism and is on the spectrum but not with typical traits as he is has some characteristics but not all. Unfortunately we failed due to him as it was deemed that he may be a drain on the resources. I understand where they are coming from and it can be hurtful however we were willing to pay for any assistance, jump through any hoops and agreeing to anything that was requested of us but alas it wasn't enough.

We could apply again when he is out of school but I don't know. It s a little demoralizing when you agree to do anything they ask, provide all the paperwork from doctors to school assessments etc then told no. It kind of felt that they requested so many things they figured we couldn't do it all i.e. fail in our own way but to agree to everything, show all the paperwork etc then told no well it wasnt great but that's the system which we have to respect.

Let me know how you get on.

I hope you have better luck then us and wish you all the best though to get a better way of life for your family.

Regards

Mark
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:17 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto on the above post, our PR was refused for the same reasons. Have a look at my previous post you will see how it all went.
I think these days also their isn't the same need for immigrants as their used to be and they are cutting back on the number they allow in so applicants like us usually don't succeed...jmo!

Give a try though and you can always appeal to Federal Court if it doesn't go your way. We decided we'd had enough and didn't want to spend anymore money as it would have cost around $8000 to appeal so we are going home after being here nearly 3 years.

Don't know any details of your son, age,needs etc but the more info you can get to prove his independence the better. My son was 16 yesterday and the Educational Psychologist here in Canada did an assessment on him when he first arrived for school which was pretty damming. And for school his needs are quite high, remember we are dealing with academic stuff, however, nearly 3 years on, he is very independent and we had another assessment done on him which immigration refused to take into consideration as it countered everything the original one said.
Anyway be prepared for a battle and like i said get as much info as possible because as soon as immigration here 'Autism' they hear alarm bells. They believe that they never improve and live independent lives which is so not true!
Anyway good luck and let us know how you go on...if you want any advice or more about what we did you can pm me, take care
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

there are people who have successfully made it through. each case is supposed to be judged in isolation in terms of what support would be needed and how much it would cost. it is not uncommon to have to go to appeal though.

hopefully some of the successful families will see this and reply - if not, a search of the boards should let you know pretty quickly who to contact for advice.

our case was slightly different as our daughter has cerebral palsy. we found providing all the information up front (years of reports from therapists, and an up to date educational psychologist report) meant that we didn't get asked to provide any additional information - we had supplied everything up front.

good luck!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:42 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

f4fred

Have sent you a PM!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

We have somehow managed to get granted PR, though my son is now 18. He has high functioning Autism which is also known as Aspergers....depending on who you see. He isn't a drain on anyone else other than us now and he doesn't know if he is even going to settle out there with us. He has until March 2014 to decide in order to maintain PR, having just landed.