Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Carpenter and family looking to move to Canada from UK

Carpenter and family looking to move to Canada from UK

Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Staceymarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carpenter and family looking to move to Canada from UK

Hi there.

I'm so sorry if this has been repeated elsewhere. Had a look but couldn't see anything that was as relevant as I was hoping for.

My husband and 1 and 3 kids are looking to move to Canada. We have family in Ontario so ideally there. He has 8 years experience as a qualified carpenter/joiner (we are Scottish)

We are hoping to apply down the federal skilled trades program through express entry?? Correct?

We are about to book the IELTS test then apply once that's sorted.

We don't have a job offer!! How difficult have people found it to get job offers especially with lmia and so on.

Do we need to have his credentials/qualifications verified?

Anything else?

It's all so new to us and confusing.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance 👍🏻.

I have a few questions.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenter and family looking to move to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by Staceymarr
We are hoping to apply down the federal skilled trades program through express entry?? Correct?
Yep!

You need more than that to be able to apply - see below.

We don't have a job offer!! How difficult have people found it to get job offers especially with lmia and so on.

For a FST application, you need one of the above - either a job offer/LMIA, OR provincial certification. Without either of these your application will be rejected. More info on what he would need to be eligible is on the FST page on the CIC website - Determine your eligibility — Skilled trades So do make sure you've got everything before applying (IELTS, enough funds, job offer or certification etc). It's not mandatory for FST, but you'd also need an ECA done if you want him to be able to claim points for his education under the CRS.

Anything else?
You'll also need to check his points score on the CRS. He'll need to be scoring above approx 460-480 to be in with a chance. If he's not at the moment, then you know he'll need a job offer and for you to go over on a Temp Work Permit first.

HTH a bit, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 4th 2016 at 1:00 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenter and family looking to move to Canada from UK

Hi there.

I'm so sorry if this has been repeated elsewhere. Had a look but couldn't see anything that was as relevant as I was hoping for.

My husband and 1 and 3 kids are looking to move to Canada. We have family in Ontario so ideally there. He has 8 years experience as a qualified carpenter/joiner (we are Scottish)

Anything else?

It's all so new to us and confusing.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be so gratefully appreciated.

Thank you in advance 👍🏻.

I have a few questions.

It is very difficult to find an employer willing to support and LMIA from the UK. You will probably need to travel to Canada as a visitor to job hunt.