Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

canadian immigration language test.

canadian immigration language test.

Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Cburns85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian immigration language test.

hi, just a quick question realy if anyone can help, do you have to do the english language test before you do the points system ? its just alot of money to spend if you then fail on points or is there anyway you can do the points first as an example, obviously you will have less points but you would still have a guideline and if you assume you get full points on the english test you yourself could add them to what you got and then you would know with the test done you will have enough points so then worth persuing.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian immigration language test.

I think it depends what route you are taking. If I remember rightly, we didn't absolutely have to have our IELTS for the provincial nominee programme (I think that is dependent on your NOC), but as we wanted to go through express entry rather than the paper based PR route we did need it for that.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cburns85
hi, just a quick question realy if anyone can help, do you have to do the english language test before you do the points system ? its just alot of money to spend if you then fail on points or is there anyway you can do the points first as an example, obviously you will have less points but you would still have a guideline and if you assume you get full points on the english test you yourself could add them to what you got and then you would know with the test done you will have enough points so then worth persuing.
You can check how many points you'd get using the links given in your other thread, is that what you mean? Assume maximum points for English as a native speaker, so that will give you an idea at least. What are you scoring, both on the FSW score and the CRS? If you're borderline, then you'll know you absolutely have to score maximum on the IELTS exam, so you'll need to practice lots.

The IELTS exam is usually about £180, so as long as you're reasonably sure you should score enough to qualify for a visa, then it's a risk you have to take I'm afraid. You also have to have your ECA done before you can apply. But it's a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration unfortunately!

I'll move this thread to the immi section of the forum - for future ref, please note any visa related queries should be put there. If in doubt, have another read of the Newbies sticky thread (link on the main page or in my signature) which will help.

Good luck.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Cburns85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can check how many points you'd get using the links given in your other thread, is that what you mean? Assume maximum points for English as a native speaker, so that will give you an idea at least. What are you scoring, both on the FSW score and the CRS? If you're borderline, then you'll know you absolutely have to score maximum on the IELTS exam, so you'll need to practice lots.

The IELTS exam is usually about £180, so as long as you're reasonably sure you should score enough to qualify for a visa, then it's a risk you have to take I'm afraid. You also have to have your ECA done before you can apply. But it's a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration unfortunately!

I'll move this thread to the immi section of the forum - for future ref, please note any visa related queries should be put there. If in doubt, have another read of the Newbies sticky thread (link on the main page or in my signature) which will help.

Good luck.
ok thanks just a quicki then regarding the points if me and my wife do the points together is it double the points i.e the maximum points you can get on the language section is 24 is that then 24 between us if we both get top marks or each which then looks quite high as we could get 48 points on just one section, i know this is probably a realy silly question to ask lol.

its ok iv now found it

Last edited by Cburns85; Nov 20th 2017 at 1:10 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cburns85
ok thanks just a quicki then regarding the points if me and my wife do the points together is it double the points i.e the maximum points you can get on the language section is 24 is that then 24 between us if we both get top marks or each which then looks quite high as we could get 48 points on just one section, i know this is probably a realy silly question to ask lol.
Only for one of you - whoever the principal applicant will be. It will depend on your ages, education level etc as to who that would be, best thing to do is for both of you to do the points tests and see who scores the most, then go with that.

HTH.