Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizenship rules face broad reform in 2014

Canadian citizenship rules face broad reform in 2014

Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian citizenship rules face broad reform in 2014

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I just applied for my son's passport using his Alberta birth certificate, which makes no mention the parents' citizenship and Passport Canada does describe it to be proof of citizenship on the application form:
How can it be proof if not everyone who has a Canadian birth cert is a Canadian citizen? It might be accepted as proof for most people but simply having a Canadian birth cert is actually not definitive proof of Canadian citizenship. See below.

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
Are there already systems in place for Passport Canada to identify people who have given up their citizenship, despite having a birth certificate? It sounds like that would require a system to cross reference provincial birth and federal citizenship records.
I assume so otherwise people like Conrad Black who renounced their citizenship would be able to apply for a Canadian passport.

I wonder how they know that a Canadian born child is not a Canadian citizen due to the fact that its parents were in the country as foreign diplomats. I just checked my daughter's Ontario birth cert. It does indicates the parents' places of birth but it does not have their citizenships or occupations listed. Also, the passport application form does not ask for details of the parents. In fact, Canadian passports have been issued in error to people born in Canada who are not Canadian citizens. Here is one such case:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...portation.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 29th 2014 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hmm not sure I like the sound of the "longer to qualify" part.

I will be eligible (under current rules) to apply for citizenship around this November 2014, so knowing my luck they'll implement this/move the goalposts around October 2014!!! ;p
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I wonder how they know that a Canadian born child is not a Canadian citizen due to the fact that its parents were in the country as foreign diplomats. I just checked my daughter's Ontario birth cert. It does indicates the parents' places of birth but it does not have their citizenships or occupations listed. Also, the passport application form does not ask for details of the parents. In fact, Canadian passports have been issued in error to people born in Canada who are not Canadian citizens.
A quick look at CIC's policy manual on citizenship did not uncover any detailed discussion about how cases of non-acquisition of Canadian citizenship by birth due to diplomatic/official status of parents could be identified. Those who have renounced citizenship are included on CIC records, which should stops any new passport being issued. But if someone who was born in Canada to diplomats can simply present a Canadian birth certificate to get a Canadian passport, that is clearly a loophole.

Although there are cases where people have acquired citizenship by being born in Canada with a foreign diplomat/official parent. This includes situations where the other parent is a Canadian citizen/PR, or prior to February 15, 1977, some cases concerning British/Commonwealth diplomats.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

How can it be proof if not everyone who has a Canadian birth cert is a Canadian citizen? It might be accepted as proof for most people but simply having a Canadian birth cert is actually not definitive proof of Canadian citizenship. See below.

I assume so otherwise people like Conrad Black who renounced their citizenship would be able to apply for a Canadian passport.

I wonder how they know that a Canadian born child is not a Canadian citizen due to the fact that its parents were in the country as foreign diplomats. I just checked my daughter's Ontario birth cert. It does indicates the parents' places of birth but it does not have their citizenships or occupations listed. Also, the passport application form does not ask for details of the parents. In fact, Canadian passports have been issued in error to people born in Canada who are not Canadian citizens. Here is one such case:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...portation.html
It does now as of the new biometric passport form http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
It does now as of the new biometric passport form http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc155.pdf
That's only for children under 16 and it doesn't ask for the parents' occupations e.g. to determine if they were in Canada as foreign diplomats at the time of the child's birth.

For those aged 16 and over, there is a different passport application form which only asks for the mother's last name at the time of her birth. It asks for no other details of the mother and asks nothing about the father.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf

Contrast this with the application for a Canadian citizenship certificate. It specifically asks if the parents were in Canada as representatives of a foreign government or agency.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...n/CIT0001E.pdf

"Was (s)he employed in Canada by a foreign government or international agency?"

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 31st 2014 at 7:15 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

That's only for children under 16 and it doesn't ask for the parents' occupations e.g. to determine if they were in Canada as foreign diplomats at the time of the child's birth.

For those aged 16 and over, there is a different passport application form which only asks for the mother's last name at the time of her birth. It asks for no other details of the mother and asks nothing about the father.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf

Contrast this with the application for a Canadian citizenship certificate. It specifically asks if the parents were in Canada as representatives of a foreign government or agency.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...n/CIT0001E.pdf

"Was (s)he employed in Canada by a foreign government or international agency?"
Ah OK I thought you were speaking of the child passport application for some reason... CIC really needs to improve that so non-Canadian citizens are not granted access to Canadian passports !!!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ah OK I thought you were speaking of the child passport application for some reason... CIC really needs to improve that so non-Canadian citizens are not granted access to Canadian passports !!!
Passports Canada only recently became part of CIC. Prior to that, CIC did not have direct control over the issuance of Canadian passports.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow... I was in the passport office the other day, me and my mum, applying for my little brothers new passport. Cripes could they be any more inefficient? We waited 20 mins in line only to be given a number, then had to sit down for another half hour before our number was called and we could process the application. Would it not be more efficient to just stand in one line, screw the numbers and just process the applications, no numbers and waiting?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the Canada Passport application, I am surprised by how much information they require...

References, guarantor. Crazy...

The US doesn't even ask for all that...
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be more efficient to just stand in one line, screw the numbers and just process the applications, no numbers and waiting?
Here, I got a number as I went in the door. I guess your office hasn't worked out that's a good idea, yet .

The main benefit of the numbers is that you can sit down for half an hour rather than having to stand in line. But that doesn't help much if you have to stand in line for half an hour to get the number.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looking at the Canada Passport application, I am surprised by how much information they require...

I know right? Especially for a country that considers everyone born here minus diplomatic immunity kids a citizen... The Maltese passport application isn't even that complicated, and they have strict and weird laws pertaining to who is and isn't a citizen...
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarkG
Here, I got a number as I went in the door. I guess your office hasn't worked out that's a good idea, yet .

The main benefit of the numbers is that you can sit down for half an hour rather than having to stand in line. But that doesn't help much if you have to stand in line for half an hour to get the number.
No, it hasn't unfortunately... The way your office does it sounds friendly and a non-annoying government bureaucratic process... And it makes sense too. I'd rather sit and play on the mobile for half an hour than wait in line, but as you said if you have to wait in line half an hour to sit half an hour, it kind of cancels itself out...
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Well it's to stop someone from using someone else's birth cert and their own photo to fraudulently obtain a passport.

First time applicants for US passports (and all applicants under 16) have to apply in person and they must present ID and submit proof of US citizenship.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's to stop someone from using someone else's birth cert and their own photo to fraudulently obtain a passport.

First time applicants for US passports (and all applicants under 16) have to apply in person and they must present ID and submit proof of US citizenship.
I know, been through the process before. No reason Canada could not do the same to remove the pain of getting references and all that.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know, been through the process before. No reason Canada could not do the same to remove the pain of getting references and all that.
Exactly... The real hurdle being the "guarantor" has to be a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian passport, that you've known for at least 2 years. This may be no trouble finding in Canada, but what if you are living abroad and getting a Canadian passport for a child you have that was born abroad? Depending on where you live it might be hard to find a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport (valid) that you've known for 2 years...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.