Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canada Permanent Residency Medical Exam

Canada Permanent Residency Medical Exam

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold
Default Canada Permanent Residency Medical Exam

Has anyone who's gone through the medical exam for Canadian permanent residency tell me about it?

I'm also wondering how long it takes. I have a young baby who's breastfed, so I'm not able to leave her, and she'll be going with me and my husband to the exam. A co-worker told my husband it takes all day. Is that accurate? He said he was there from 8am-3pm and not given a break to leave for lunch. That can't be right, can it?!?

We also have a pre-registration appointment a week prior to the actual medical exam. Has anyone else done that and can tell me how long that takes?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:16 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Permanent Residency Medical Exam

never heard of a pre reg appt.

x ray takes approx 2 minutes. I have no recollection of the exam itself lasting more than half an hour
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Err, never heard of anyone having a pre-reg. I went with my husband for his. He went in, chest xray, blood work, pee in a cup, physical exam. From when we arrived to when we left it was maaaaybe an hour all in? Pretty straight forward process, really.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:30 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

are you in Canada or the UK at the moment?
where are you having the exam done?

This sounds unusual compared to other's experiences.
The only thing I can think off is that they want you to get blood/urine tests done first then the exam itself.

you probably ought to ask the actual Doctors surgery these qs
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, your husband's co-worker isn't correct, it shouldn't take more than an hour max. Perhaps he's thinking of something else, a different kind of medical maybe?

Which docs are you going to? The pre-reg appointment also sounds unusual.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

BritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to beholdBritainNewfoundland is a splendid one to behold

We're having it done in St. John's, Newfoundland.

His co-worker got his medical from the same office we're going to and it was just done last year, so he's not confusing it for another appointment. He's so unhealthy (two-pack a day smoker, eats nothing but fast food, etc), it probably took them all day to determine if Canada's healthcare system could actually support his lifestyle!

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see how long it takes once we get there. I wasn't told to prepare for an all-day appointment.

As for calling them, I know that does sound like the logical answer, but when I've called before to set up appointments, I left a message on their voicemail and they didn't get back to me for THREE WEEKS! They only call you back when they actually have an appointment available, which I was told after leaving several messages. Things are done "differently" in Newfoundland. It's a strange place.

Thanks for the replies
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:45 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I was in and out in well under 2 hours. Everyone I've seen talking about medicals has reported similar. Don't remember hearing anyone say it took all day...what could they possibly test for that takes that long. You don't have to run a marathon to prove you're fit or anything.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Take your baby with you and when you are getting x-rayed your husband can hold her and vice versa.

All of the other testings she can be sat with you.

We had to wait around for xrays and the docs were running late but the exam itself - 30 minutes and my hubby and son all went in together.

Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Had ours just over a month ago:

Arrive.
Sign a form to allow the medical results to be communicated to the immigration office.
Desk held passports for duration of medical.
Digital photo taken (eMedical enabled places only iirc)
Pee in a pot
Chest X-Ray
Eye test
Height and Weight Noted
Strip to underwear
Blood Pressure Taken
Listen to heart and breathing
Presses on stomach
Reflex test by tapping knee and ankle
Repeat Blood Pressure Taken
Blood Sample Taken

Get dressed, told everything is fine, then sat around for 15mins while the wife underwent the same.
In total we were there just under 3 hours, but most of that was waiting between having the X-rays and seeing the doctor.

Hope that helps.