Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

In Canada on an IEC visa, want PR but hate my job

In Canada on an IEC visa, want PR but hate my job

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

firsttims is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In Canada on an IEC visa, want PR but hate my job

As mentioned in this topic, I'm in a job that qualifies me for immigration but I'm having a hard time at work, so much so that normally I would have quit by now.

I've been in Canada since the start of May and been with the company since the end of August meaning I just hit my 6 months meaning I qualify for PNP.

My boss is swings from being a nice guy to extreme anger, every mistake feels like the end of the world and he's threatened to fire me more than once.

Engineer_abroad advised that check if

) You qualify
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

2) What is your CRS score assuming you have the 1 years of Canadian experience. (assume language tests scores at the moment)
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool - Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

These are my answers, though I was a bit confused about some of the questions:

-----
Eligibility

What would you like to do in Canada?

Work (I want to move eventually)

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?

Temporarily - more than 6 months

Which country issued� your passport?

British citizen

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada

Canada

Family member

no

Date of Birth

age 30

Lawful permanent resident of USA

No

What is your current immigration status?

Is it worker or temporary resident permit holder (on IEC Visa)

If I pick worker then all the answers are no for the next set of questions

Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

no

Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?

no

Do you have a written job offer?

Yes

Marital status?

Single

province of destination

Saskatchewan

----

For worker it says Work Permit (in Canada)

If its temporary resident permit holder then it gives me more options (like an open work permit)

-----------

CRS

What is your marital status?

single

express entry age

highest level of education

Bachelors degree

Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?

Language

Not yet, put yes

celpip

Skilled work experience

Right now its less than a year though I put myself down as a year

In the last 10 years how many years of skilled work experience do you have

This is my first skilled job

qualification from a Canadian province or territory?

No

Valid job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment

Not right now but I assume I can get one or at least apply

NOC Code

B

Nomination certificate

No

Core/Human capital factors

Subtotal Skill transferability factors

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

---------

I appreciate everything you guys are doing for me, the process is overwhelming to say the least so thank you.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:57 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Canada on an IEC visa, want PR but hate my job

If you're scoring 515 on CRS then absolutely submit an Express Entry profile, and you should have your ITA for PR pretty quickly as 515 is well above the recent minimum points required to be selected. Once you get your PR via EE then you can quit.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Using your info above I get your score at 477 btw. This is still a very good score and you would be selected from pools quickly. As I mentioned before you need the 1 year of skilled experience in Canada to qualify for CEC which means you don't need the proof of funds.

I think the reason our eligibility test is saving work permit is because you put temporarily for the How long are you planning to stay in Canada question. The systems is not going to direct you to a permanent residence application unless you answer permanent to that question.

What work permit are you currently on, IEC? If so I would start looking now for a new skilled job in the same NOC code. You have enough points for EE that if you were in the pools right snow you would be selected. With that in mind I would not stick in a job I hate hoping that your boss may or may not do a provincial nomination for you for points you don't need.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarrely, I'm not getting anywhere near yours or Engineer_abroad's points score. When you scored yourself at 515 were you saying yes to a LMIA? That doesn't sound likely from what you've said about your boss, so I wouldn't rely on that.

Can you double check your points on this page and let us know what you're giving yourself for each section? Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Bizarrely, I'm not getting anywhere near yours or Engineer_abroad's points score. When you scored yourself at 515 were you saying yes to a LMIA? That doesn't sound likely from what you've said about your boss, so I wouldn't rely on that.

Can you double check your points on this page and let us know what you're giving yourself for each section? Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

1. The OP doesn't have 1 years skilled employment either in Canada or overseas.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The OP doesn't have 1 years skilled employment either in Canada or overseas.
No, but he's based his answers above on having done the full year and being eligible for CEC, so I did the same. I still don't get anywhere near 515 though!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry guys, at work at the moment and it suddenly got busy.

So to answer a few questions

I selected work visa because I was worried I wasn't going to have time to qualify for experience class, I don't want to have to quit a job and leave the country but I'm painfully aware that I only have a little over a year left on my visa.

As for the type of Visa I have, its IEC I went through BUNAC to get it.

As for the LMIA, I assumed that whatever employer I ended up with I'd need it which is why I selected yes, I was also assuming I would have the needed work experience.

As for the number, I might have just counted wrong.

Maybe I need to re do the tests with a focus on permanent residence and my actual score.

Thank you to everyone thats been helping, I've been so confused and stressed over this the help has been amazing at just making me feel happier.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The thing is, that without at least one years full-time skilled work experience, you wouldn't qualify for PR under any EE stream anyway.

The only way you'd qualify for PR if you don't have that experience would be under a PNP, but that means your boss helping and you sticking it out. It will also depend on the province you're in as to whether or not you're eligible.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

My biggest concern is that my boss is going to turn around and say he's not going to support me.

Which means I need to find a job else where and I'll need a work permit to give me some extra time and I don't really know how to apply to that.

I'm more than a little stressed.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by firsttims
My biggest concern is that my boss is going to turn around and say he's not going to support me.

Which means I need to find a job else where and I'll need a work permit to give me some extra time and I don't really know how to apply to that.

I'm more than a little stressed.
OK, don't panic! You have got until May 2018 before your current IEC expires, is that right?

So you've got a few options, but can you give us more info to help you figure out which may be best? Firstly, which province are you in, and secondly, have you double checked your CRS score as suggested above and if so, what is it (or what will it be in August when you've got a year of skilled work experience)?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, you have no idea how much this means to me, I have dyslexia and dyspraxia which makes filling out forms a super stress, so any help makes a huge difference.

In answer to your questions:

I live in Saskatchewan
My IEC runs out in 2018.

I'm working on the CRS now, with the question about the valid job offer/lmia do I answer yes to that?

Anyway in answer to your question, if I went with no:

Age = 105
Level of education = 120
Study in Canada = undefined
Official Languages = 124
First Official Language = 124
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 40
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 389

--------------------------
Education

A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
B) Canadian work experience and education = 13
Subtotal = 38

Foreign work experience

A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
B) Canadian and foreign work experience B) = 13
Subtotal = 38

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 76

Grand total = 465

-----------------------------------

If I go with yes

Additional points = 50

Grand total = 515

--

That's assuming I do relatively well on the language test which I haven't taken yet.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier on you said this was your first skilled job? You've given yourself 38 points for foreign work experience (25 for languages with FWE, 13 for Canadian work experience with FWE). That has to be skilled work as well (Ministerial Instructions for the Express Entry Application Management System) in order to get any points for it.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yup this is my first skilled labour job I've held, I used the online test and all it asked is what my language level was at with the ratings from a particular test.

If I took off the foreign experience it went down to 433.

But are you saying my score should be lower?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by firsttims
Yup this is my first skilled labour job I've held, I used the online test and all it asked is what my language level was at with the ratings from a particular test.

If I took off the foreign experience it went down to 433.

But are you saying my score should be lower?
What do you mean by 'first skilled labour job'? As Vulcanoid has said, you can't give yourself points for foreign work experience if you haven't got any *skilled* work experience.

So looking at your points above you need to take at least 38 points off, if what you've said above about this being your first skilled job is correct. You also can't claim the 50 points for a job offer, unless your employer is prepared to sponsor you and do the LMIA for you. But that would still be a reasonable score, and you'd be in with a chance of getting an ITA if the points keep dropping.

So it looks as though you could apply for PR as soon as you've done the year in Canada to get your points up and hope that the points keep falling a bit so you get an ITA pretty quickly.

In the meantime, you can job hunt for something else and hopefully find a nicer boss!

Best of luck.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

I worked as a sales assistant for most of my career, I was going through depression for a long time, I tried building a film career but it didn't pan out and my heart wasn't in it I also had a couple periods of unemployment.

So this job in Canada is the first job I've had that would count as skilled.

Ok well thats good news I guess, it says the lowest person had 441 points so thats something.

thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.