Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you extend your work permit if your in the express entry process?

Can you extend your work permit if your in the express entry process?

Old Nov 14th 2017, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

firsttims is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you extend your work permit if your in the express entry process?

I've got until the start of may until my current work permit runs out and I'm applying to be in the express entry lottery.

Assuming I get selected are you allowed to extend your work permit whilst you wait to be processed?

thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you extend your work permit if your in the express entry process?

You can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit if your PR application is being processed - Extend your work permit – Bridging open work permit

You mention Express Entry 'lottery', but just to clarify there's no lottery element of it at all, simply those that are scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. So long as you're scoring 430ish or above, you should be well on your way to PR before your work permit expires, it's even possible you'll already have it by then!

Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you extend your work permit if your in the express entry process?

Depends what you mean by selected? If you mean you are in the express entry pool and waiting to be selected from that pool then no, you cannot extend a work permit on the basis that you are in the express entry pool.

If you receive an ITA and have submitted your application for PR via express entry then you may be able to apply for a BOWP to tied you over till a decision is made on your PR application.

Extend your work permit – Bridging open work permit
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much, I'm not in the system yet and I'm rushing to get my degree accredited which I've been told can take up to 20 weeks.

So I'm a little stressed because this is down to the wire.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit if your PR application is being processed - Extend your work permit – Bridging open work permit

You mention Express Entry 'lottery', but just to clarify there's no lottery element of it at all, simply those that are scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. So long as you're scoring 430ish or above, you should be well on your way to PR before your work permit expires, it's even possible you'll already have it by then!

Good luck.
Interestingly we have just had a guy at work who applied for his PR via express entry and a BOWP at the same time. COPR came through before the BOWP.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by firsttims
Thank you so much, I'm not in the system yet and I'm rushing to get my degree accredited which I've been told can take up to 20 weeks.

So I'm a little stressed because this is down to the wire.
Do check the other orgs mine took less that 4 weeks with BCIT. A friend of mine had a nightmare with the guys based in Toronto and took 6 months.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not in the pool yet but I'm getting ready to get in it, I need to get my police check sorted and my degree accredited then I'm good to go.

I've been approved for provincial nominee but there's a good possibility that the job offer is going to fall through (my employer made a lot of promises he can't keep).

so now I'm scrambling trying to get myself out of this hole.

technically right now I have over 1000 points because of the nomination approved by the province but like I said I'm worried I'm going to loose it.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Do check the other orgs mine took less that 4 weeks with BCIT. A friend of mine had a nightmare with the guys based in Toronto and took 6 months.
I applied with ICAS, who are toronto based.

Crap
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Crap
If you can spare the money think about having it done at a second organization.

As I said my friend did it with ICAS and had no end of problems, told him 10 weeks, then he rang in week 11 and was told 20 weeks, then rang on week 21 and was told 6 months. Had a constant run around from them.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Crap
Icas is 20 weeks (their processing time is on their website - https://www.icascanada.ca/new/immigr...to-canada.aspx).

If I were you, I'd apply with somebody else asap, somebody like WES only has a processing time of a couple of weeks usually.

Good luck!