Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I really just invest $800,000 CAD and get citizenship?

Can I really just invest $800,000 CAD and get citizenship?

Old Dec 10th 2017, 12:57 am
Just Joined

redea61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I really just invest $800,000 CAD and get citizenship?

The Immigrant Investor Program seems to state that I can invest $800,000 CAD into the Canadian economy, which has a guaranteed return, and get citizenship. Is it really that simple?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 1:12 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I really just invest $800,000 CAD and get citizenship?

Originally Posted by redea61
The Immigrant Investor Program seems to state that I can invest $800,000 CAD into the Canadian economy, which has a guaranteed return, and get citizenship. Is it really that simple?
No it is not that simple. That program ended in 2014, it was a net worth of $1.6m, an $800 000 interest free loan to the Canadian govt for 5 years. The capital is guaranteed, but there is no return on the investment. In return the investor got a PR visa.

Quebec have one
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...ors/index.html

The Canada wide program now requires an at risk $2m investment and a net worth of $10m.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 10th 2017 at 1:17 am.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as said above, you're looking at VERY out of date info (plus it was for PR, not citizenship).

But if you've got $10M it's an option.

Welcome to BE.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, as said above, you're looking at VERY out of date info (plus it was for PR, not citizenship).

But if you've got $10M it's an option.

Welcome to BE.
The way it's advertised by immigration consultants is the Québec route, which is $800,000. This is the thing that makes the whole Canadian immigration system a joke. Under Article 6 of the Charter of Rights they can't stop you from moving out of Québec as soon as you've arrived, basically you just have to arrive in Québec first.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 12:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The way it's advertised by immigration consultants is the Québec route, which is $800,000. This is the thing that makes the whole Canadian immigration system a joke. Under Article 6 of the Charter of Rights they can't stop you from moving out of Québec as soon as you've arrived, basically you just have to arrive in Québec first.
There may be some contractual agreement and penalties with the funds though.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so but you would have to leave the 800000 behind for 5 years as an interest free loan to the program. Add to that the additional assets required upfront are not insignificant and the selection process is likely pretty intense enough to assess your long term intentions are genuine both for Quebec and Canada as a whole .

Last edited by PB65; Dec 17th 2017 at 6:34 am.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They can't stop you moving, but they can revoke PR if you're deemed to have misrepresented yourself during the application.

If you moved to another province as soon as you arrived, it would be pretty clear that misrepresentation was committed when the Declaration of Intent was signed.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Be it PR or Citizenship perhaps Provinces can learn from the PEI PNP fiasco

P.E.I.'s PNP a "serious failure," says Kenney | Local | News | The Guardian
P.E.I. withholds $18M in PNP deposits from immigrant investors - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

I wonder if IRCC will be referring those 177 investors to CBSA to have their PR status revoked as noted in the 2nd link.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Be it PR or Citizenship perhaps Provinces can learn from the PEI PNP fiasco

P.E.I.'s PNP a "serious failure," says Kenney | Local | News | The Guardian
P.E.I. withholds $18M in PNP deposits from immigrant investors - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

I wonder if IRCC will be referring those 177 investors to CBSA to have their PR status revoked as noted in the 2nd link.
I wonder how many of those investors saw this loss of capital as the price of PR in Canada?