Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

can I leave canada after filing for citizenship?

can I leave canada after filing for citizenship?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 3:28 am
cml

A friend told me once you start the application process you better stay til they give you
the citizenship. Any truth to that?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 5:31 pm
WebImmigration.Com

Hi:

There is nothing preventing you from exiting Canada after you have filed your application
for Citizenship. Permanent Residents are entitled to exit Canada 183 days out of a 6 month
period without jeopardizing the loss of their Canadian permanent residency status.

For information on Canadian citizenship go to www.webimmigration.com

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

> A friend told me once you start the application process you better stay til they give
> you the citizenship. Any truth to that?

Old Feb 10th 2001, 3:35 pm
cml

Thank you for you reply. Hpwever, I do have an incicdent to tell. I have a friend whose
first application got rejected in a circumstance similar to such. She had stayed here for
3 years straight and then filed for citizenship. Then she left the country for about 5 1/2
months. When she came back, she still did not receive the notification yet for test or
anything. Then two weeks later she got a letter from the authority that her application
had been rejected because they did not consider her to have enough days here in Canada to
apply. Evidently, there must be an official snafu there. But to cut the story short, she
ended up re-applying for it and lost the previous application fee.

I just want to verify if there's a legal precedent as such. If not, I guess my next
question is how should I appeal if such a problem comes up?

>Hi:
>
>There is nothing preventing you from exiting Canada after you have filed your application
>for Citizenship. Permanent Residents are entitled to exit Canada 183 days out of a 6
>month period without jeopardizing the loss of their Canadian permanent residency status.
>
>For information on Canadian citizenship go to www.webimmigration.com
>
>Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.
>_________________________
>Webimmigration.com, Embrace Opportunity 688-287 Broadway Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada R3C
>0R9 Tel: 1-204-943-3303 Email: [email protected]
>

>> A friend told me once you start the application process you better stay til they give
>> you the citizenship. Any truth to that?
>>