British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Can I bring this into Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/can-i-bring-into-canada-904214/)

benbb Oct 6th 2017 10:36 am

Can I bring this into Canada?

A while ago I came across a supermarket that was offering a very good deal on a branded mouthwash, so not thinking I bought quite a lot of it in order to save money later on. After working out the rate I'm using it up, I have 22 months supply left(!) Forget keeping it all in the bathroom, it's filling up kitchen cupboards and other rooms too! I don't have an obsession it was just a good deal at the time so I thought it would be a good idea to stock up.

These are all technically new, as in unopened, so my question is can I take that into Canada when my PR comes through as personal effects, or will this be classed as new and I'll be charged some sort of tax on it?

Thanks,
Fresh Breath Ben

mikelincs Oct 6th 2017 11:08 am

Re: Can I bring this into Canada?

Originally Posted by benbb (Post 12354841)
A while ago I came across a supermarket that was offering a very good deal on a branded mouthwash, so not thinking I bought quite a lot of it in order to save money later on. After working out the rate I'm using it up, I have 22 months supply left(!) Forget keeping it all in the bathroom, it's filling up kitchen cupboards and other rooms too! I don't have an obsession it was just a good deal at the time so I thought it would be a good idea to stock up.

These are all technically new, as in unopened, so my question is can I take that into Canada when my PR comes through as personal effects, or will this be classed as new and I'll be charged some sort of tax on it?

Thanks,
Fresh Breath Ben

Does it contain any alcohol? many of them do.

Shakyuk Oct 6th 2017 11:18 am

Thanks,
Fresh Breath Ben

I can't tell if this is serious or a joke? I was already laughing but then the 'Fresh Breath Ben' drove me over the edge! :rofl:

Please change your forum name to Fresh Breath Ben.

Former Lancastrian Oct 6th 2017 11:25 am

Thanks,
Fresh Breath Ben

OK I will play along.
Customs D Memo Settlers Effects D2-2-1 says

Ownership, Possession, and Use

14. For the purposes of tariff item No. 9807.00.00:

(a) "ownership"
means that the settler has acquired, by purchase or other means, the legal right to have goods as personal property and to exercise control over their use and disposition. Goods which are leased do not qualify;
(b) "possession"
means that the settler has, in person, physically accepted the goods; and
(c) "use"
means that the settler has actually put the goods into an action or service for a purpose for which they were designed or intended.
Memorandum D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00

So what do you think?

benbb Oct 6th 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12354858)
Does it contain any alcohol? many of them do.

No, all alcohol free.

benbb Oct 6th 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12354862)
I can't tell if this is serious or a joke? I was already laughing but then the 'Fresh Breath Ben' drove me over the edge! :rofl:

Please change your forum name to Fresh Breath Ben.

It's kind of a bizarre situation I know, but yes this is a genuine question!

benbb Oct 6th 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12354868)
OK I will play along.
Customs D Memo Settlers Effects D2-2-1 says

Ownership, Possession, and Use

14. For the purposes of tariff item No. 9807.00.00:

(a) "ownership"
means that the settler has acquired, by purchase or other means, the legal right to have goods as personal property and to exercise control over their use and disposition. Goods which are leased do not qualify;
(b) "possession"
means that the settler has, in person, physically accepted the goods; and
(c) "use"
means that the settler has actually put the goods into an action or service for a purpose for which they were designed or intended.
Memorandum D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00

So what do you think?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. I thought there was some restriction on the item being used though I wasn't sure what it was. Not sure how tight they are about that rule, presumably they're not going to be inspecting every item in my cargo for signs of use.

I can probably give the mouthwash out to friends before I go, some of them could benefit from it.

Thanks for the pointer.

Engineer_abroad Oct 6th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by benbb (Post 12354882)
Thanks, I hadn't seen that before. I thought there was some restriction on the item being used though I wasn't sure what it was. Not sure how tight they are about that rule, presumably they're not going to be inspecting every item in my cargo for signs of use.

I can probably give the mouthwash out to friends before I go, some of them could benefit from it.

Thanks for the pointer.

The cost of shipping 22 months of mouthwash may well outweigh the cost of buying here. Assuming 1 x 1 l bottle per month. That is around 22 kg of mouthwash or a another checked bag on an airline.

for info 1 lire of mouthwash costs around $5.

Also expect customs to have a field day with you when you arrive with a hold bag of nothing but bottles of mouthwash. Nothing wrong with it but it will certainly be beyond the normal traveler so will attract scrutiny.

I cannot wait to see this episode of Canadian border security.

Aviator Oct 6th 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by benbb (Post 12354882)

I guess if you are leaving the country, keeping friends is not a concern. At least you can go out with a clean slate, no friends left behind, new country make new friends.

benbb Oct 6th 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12355013)
The cost of shipping 22 months of mouthwash may well outweigh the cost of buying here. Assuming 1 x 1 l bottle per month. That is around 22 kg of mouthwash or a another checked bag on an airline.

for info 1 lire of mouthwash costs around $5.

Yes I think what I'll end up doing is stuffing the odd bottle here and there to fill space in my cargo. I'm planning on using air freight as it seems the cheapest but they charge based on volumetric weight. I'm sure taking a few bottles in won't be an issue.

This is nothing compared to my alcohol collection, I'm having to re-home more than 30 litres of spirits.

Former Lancastrian Oct 6th 2017 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by benbb (Post 12355434)

This is nothing compared to my alcohol collection, I'm having to re-home more than 30 litres of spirits.

Is that code for drinking it before you move? Unless its very rare alcohol tbh not worth bring it as you will definitely have to pay on this and dependent on province might have to obtain a permit to do so.

benbb Oct 6th 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12355452)
Is that code for drinking it before you move? Unless its very rare alcohol tbh not worth bring it as you will definitely have to pay on this and dependent on province might have to obtain a permit to do so.

I'm planning to give it to my very grateful friends before I leave - I couldn't possibly drink it all! I think I can bring 1L IIRC but no more without taxes. Also I figured the extra cost simply isn't worth it, it's more of a luxury, no point in paying to transport it.

Aviator Oct 6th 2017 9:39 pm

[QUOTE=benbb;12355434I'm planning on using air freight as it seems the cheapest but they charge based on volumetric weight. [/QUOTE]

All shippers use cubed weight.

Shakyuk Oct 9th 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by benbb (Post 12355434)
I'm having to re-home more than 30 litres of spirits.

You were born with a home for alcohol... your stomach :thumbup:

aerivona Oct 9th 2017 6:41 pm

Omg this thread is hilarious :)