Calgary Port of Entry TFW advice

Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary Port of Entry TFW advice

I've just booked my flight to Calgary for 18th November and although I've read around, it would be great to get personal advice as the date looms largely.

POE:
- I have to hand over $155, do I need cash or can I pay by credit card?
- I need two photos of certain dimensions, will they just clip them out to the correct size with their gadget or should I get them prepped myself?

Shipping:

This is slightly more difficult as I'm still not sure how this works despite looking at the wiki and then reading other posts.

- can anyone recommend storage locations for my personal goods to pass on to the shipper
- OR are they simply held at YYC until I turn up and THEN I have to get them moved on?
- personal effects inventory: one I keep with me, the other to the shipper or in one of the boxes?

There will of course be many more questions to come now that I have the date.

Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Port of Entry TFW advice

Originally Posted by Caribou Jones
I've just booked my flight to Calgary for 18th November and although I've read around, it would be great to get personal advice as the date looms largely.

POE:
- I have to hand over $155, do I need cash or can I pay by credit card?
- I need two photos of certain dimensions, will they just clip them out to the correct size with their gadget or should I get them prepped myself?

Shipping:

This is slightly more difficult as I'm still not sure how this works despite looking at the wiki and then reading other posts.

- can anyone recommend storage locations for my personal goods to pass on to the shipper
- OR are they simply held at YYC until I turn up and THEN I have to get them moved on?
- personal effects inventory: one I keep with me, the other to the shipper or in one of the boxes?

There will of course be many more questions to come now that I have the date.

Thanks.
Credit Card is fine for payment. Has the employer paid the compliance fee? If its an open work permit then a further $100 is required to be paid by you.
Notice – Changes to strengthen employer accountability under the International Mobility Program

Photos not required.

The goods to follow are normally held in a bonded warehouse until cleared. How are they being shipped and who is shipping them? Normally the shipper/freight forwarder will tell you that the goods have arrived and supply you with the manifest. You take the manifest and the list of goods to the nearest Customs office and present them. Once released the goods will be delivered or can be picked up once the warehouse receives the stamped Customs delivery part of the manifest.

More info required.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Credit Card is fine for payment. Has the employer paid the compliance fee? If its an open work permit then a further $100 is required to be paid by you.
Notice – Changes to strengthen employer accountability under the International Mobility Program

Photos not required.

The goods to follow are normally held in a bonded warehouse until cleared. How are they being shipped and who is shipping them? Normally the shipper/freight forwarder will tell you that the goods have arrived and supply you with the manifest. You take the manifest and the list of goods to the nearest Customs office and present them. Once released the goods will be delivered or can be picked up once the warehouse receives the stamped Customs delivery part of the manifest.

More info required.
Thanks for the swift response FL

1. Work permit is LMIA approved for two years, all prepared by their solicitors with the instructions of fees and photos. Credit card is good to know so if there is any extra I am able to pay and sort that at a later date.

2. Shipping company (Glenn Freight Services) was suggested by UPS and last night I re-contacted them about the process to confirm their initial response (nothing back yet) so last month's reply is below:

- We can collect before you go and have it arrive a day or 2 after you if you wish.
- 24 hours notice to collect. No add-ons. Cannot insure personal effects (can recommend our broker if you want to take out your own policy)
- Packing list showing UK & Calgary address.

The questions are whether my "Calgary address" is the airport and that's my shipping completed and I deal with it myself from there; and how long I can leave it there until I can get it moved to whichever apartment I decide upon some weeks later?

I am now starting to look at boxing my stuff (clothes, shoes, books, paperwork, couple of small electric goods, sporting goods, guitar and the like). Bit hectic!
Old Oct 25th 2016, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If being sent by air freight its best they arrive after you do. The Calgary office is located at
Local Address:
175 Aero Way North East
Unit 162
Calgary AB T2E 6K2

Mon to Fri 0800-1600 for clearance.

As you have the LMIA then just the work permit fee of $155 is payable on entering Canada.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

If being sent by air freight its best they arrive after you do. The Calgary office is located at
Local Address:
175 Aero Way North East
Unit 162
Calgary AB T2E 6K2

As you have the LMIA then just the work permit fee of $155 is payable on entering Canada.
I've read much of your advice on the forum and it makes a huge difference - I really can't thank you enough.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the LMIA. It's great to hear that some people are still being successful in getting in to Canada. Stories on here in recent months all seem to be about why people can't get in! Good for you. I hope you have an exciting adventure!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Lets us know how you get on, me and my girlfriend are aiming for Calgary so I'm always interested in how people find it.

Good lucks
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Will keep you updated on anything relevant and be prepared for other threads as I ask silly questions along the way
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Local Address:
175 Aero Way North East
Unit 162
Calgary AB T2E 6K2

Am about to create the order for the shipping company and one final piece of advice would be helpful.

Would I address to myself simply as in this general example using 'John Smith'?

John Smith
175 Aero Way North East
Unit 162
Calgary AB T2E 6K2

Thanks.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Am about to create the order for the shipping company and one final piece of advice would be helpful.

Would I address to myself simply as in this general example using 'John Smith'?

John Smith
175 Aero Way North East
Unit 162
Calgary AB T2E 6K2

Thanks.
No you would use your own name and address you will be living at. The goods will be held in bond at a bonded warehouse. You go to the Aero Way address to clear the goods and then the goods can be released for delivery or pick up at the warehouse address they are stored at.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Great, makes sense.

I'm staying in an Airbnb room for two weeks while I find an apartment and I imagine they wouldn't be too thrilled at me using their address. Can you recommend any options of the following:

- find a storage company, use their address (how long will YYC keep items?)
- ask a colleague or place of work to let me use their address as a contact point, then when I find a place (three weeks later?) just take it straight to new address instead?
-further options?