British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   BTEC National Diploma & CES (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/btec-national-diploma-ces-903621/)

JayJJeffery Sep 21st 2017 2:23 am

BTEC National Diploma & CES

Hey guys,

So I have tried my best to find a definitive answer on here but can't seem to find anything. Basically this is my last resort after ALOT of researching.

At first I thought my BTEC would not count as I saw alot of people say WES counts 2 year BTEC as a one semester course.

Recently I saw someone say they got a 2 year btec marked by CES and they have said it was worth a 2 year year program

I have a BTEC National Award in Uniformed Public Services. The Award comes to graduating the first year. I left after the first year as I pursued my Royal Marines application (I was studying Uniformed Public Services).

My question is do people think this would count under '1 Year program'

If so this would get me enough points! but i'm unsure as it is only the 1 year. Has anyone else been in this situation where you've only done a 1 year course or something?

Thanks in advance!! :goodpost::goodpost:

Engineer_abroad Sep 21st 2017 1:45 pm

Re: BTEC National Diploma & CES

The only real way of knowing is to submit an application.

However, note that only academic qualifications are assessed as part of an ECA not vocational.

JayJJeffery Sep 21st 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Regarding the vocational bit though, as a BTEC the whole point is you're mainly studying one subject (with different components to it) The forum posts I saw previously they were IT and something to do with Mechanics which are both vocational and they got it through?

I think even BTEC classes themselves as vocational

graeme.baker Oct 1st 2017 4:45 am

Hey there, I was one of the people who got turned down by WES, but approved by The university of Toronto last year.

To be clear, that was for a 2 year national diploma though in music technology from 2002, so I can only speak to that.

It makes me so angry that there isn't one standard being applied here, and the fact I wasted hundreds of dollars on WES. There is a reason their turn around times are so quick in comparison. If I hadn't of reapplied in hope, I would have given up on Canada because of them.

So don't give up and good luck!

JayJJeffery Oct 1st 2017 6:51 am

Thanks Graeme,

It's certainly a flawed system if one gets you it and another doesn't. It should be the same all around. I've just gotta hope they consider the year I did complete as 1 year.

I'm just awaiting my certificates/for them to be sent to CES now. Ill definitely post back in here in February when i get my results (17 week wait :(:( ) to let everyone know the outcome

JayJJeffery Mar 13th 2018 11:02 pm

Just a heads up for all, both WES & CES came back negative.

christmasoompa Mar 14th 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by JayJJeffery (Post 12462077)
Just a heads up for all, both WES & CES came back negative.

Sorry to hear that, I hope that now the points have dropped a bit you are still in with a chance.

Thank you for coming back to update the forum and good luck.

RealVileLev Mar 18th 2018 9:50 pm

I'm waiting on a b tec level 5 professional diploma in music performance with BCIT and this is killing me, I'm having trouble sleeping. If my grade assessment isn't as good as expected is it pretty much over for me? So stressful!

RealVileLev Mar 18th 2018 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12462314)
Sorry to hear that, I hope that now the points have dropped a bit you are still in with a chance.

Thank you for coming back to update the forum and good luck.

What are the points at the moment pal?

JayJJeffery Mar 18th 2018 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RealVileLev (Post 12465417)
I'm waiting on a b tec level 5 professional diploma in music performance with BCIT and this is killing me, I'm having trouble sleeping. If my grade assessment isn't as good as expected is it pretty much over for me? So stressful!

You should be good with level 5

RealVileLev Mar 18th 2018 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by JayJJeffery (Post 12465448)

I hope so Jay. What makes you think that? I struggle to find information online. Give me a percentage of how sure you are please. No pressure, I'm just desperate for an idea.

christmasoompa Mar 18th 2018 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by RealVileLev (Post 12465419)
What are the points at the moment pal?

Last draw was 456. Last few months they’ve all been between 440 and 460ish.

HTH.

christmasoompa Mar 18th 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by JayJJeffery (Post 12465448)

The level isn’t the only thing though, remember that vocational qualifications aren’t assessed, only academic ones count for points purposes. I’ve no idea if music is considered academic or not though.

JayJJeffery Mar 19th 2018 1:59 am

Mine was a BTEC level 3, on my many many hours of looking I saw someone who studied Music Level 3 (2 yrs) and got it. I would say 80% but that's a complete estimate just based on what i've seen searching.

RealVileLev Mar 19th 2018 8:18 am

Mine was level 5 but only for a year...fingers crossed