Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

BTEC Level 3 Diploma & WES Evaluation

BTEC Level 3 Diploma & WES Evaluation

Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

graeme.baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BTEC Level 3 Diploma & WES Evaluation

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum to see if I could find a similar issue, but didnt find an exact match.

I have a UK BTEC Level 3 National Diploman in Music Technology. It was a full time 2 year course, and got me into several universities here in the UK. WES have assessed it and said they consider it only to be worth 1 single semester of post secondary education.

I did appeal, but this was their response: "We understand your concern, however please be advised that it was upon examination of the specifications for BTEC National Diploma, as well as after taking into account the level, scope, and intent of the program of study, it was determined that these represent the equivalent of one semester of post-secondary study."

Does anyone think I could achieve a better result with one of the others? It doesnt seem right that a 2 year course be worth a few weeks in Canada.

Or am i simply just wrong about it?

I'd really love peoples opinions, as I was counting on those points!

Thanks,
Graeme
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BTEC Level 3 Diploma & WES Evaluation

I think it's worth getting it evaluated by ICAS, but I'd also point out that A levels (which are also 2 years and get you in to university in the UK) are only counted as secondary education for points purposes.

So the duration of the course and it getting you in to uni doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth more than WES have assessed it as I'm afraid.

Good luck, and if you do decide to try ICAS do let us know what they say.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, based on the A-level result, it sounds like I dont stand a chance, as they're considered more "academic" than the BTEC courses.

In truth, they're basically on par.

I was holding out hope the others may see it differently and base it on hours of study. Sounds like I'm probably out of luck, and its nto worth several hundred more dollars!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Well, CES just got back to me and said the following:

"Thank you for your email. CES does assess 2 year BTEC Level 3 National Diplomas. We consider them equivalent to a 2 year college diploma. Sincerely,"

Thats got to be good right?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graeme.baker

"Thank you for your email. CES does assess 2 year BTEC Level 3 National Diplomas. We consider them equivalent to a 2 year college diploma. Sincerely,"

That is indeed good - go with an assessment from them then, it'll be accepted by CIC as they're a designated agency, so hopefully should get you the answer you're looking for.

Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

I was just worried in case anyone may have had false promises from CES in the past at all. Its an expensive gamble if theres any risk, and im sure they wont bind themselves to an email until theyve seen the qualifications themselves eh?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was just worried in case anyone may have had false promises from CES in the past at all. Its an expensive gamble if theres any risk, and im sure they wont bind themselves to an email until theyve seen the qualifications themselves eh?
Of course, but if you need the points then what else can you do really? It could be a waste of money, but I think you'll need to take the chance unfortunately.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration.

Good luck, and fingers crossed for you.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:01 am
Tryna move to T.O

Jamieb14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graeme,

I am in the exact same boat, please advise what you did in regards to this situation?

Did you get ECA through CES in the end?
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jamie,

Bloody awful isn't it? I did opt to go for the CES route. However the reason I went with WES in the first place was that CES processing times are a mean average of 13 weeks compared to WES's 20 days. Also, they have no on-line anything; they do however email you once they've received your payment etc and docs.

So I'm still waiting for a result, which may not come until the end of next month/beginning of September.

I'll post back here when I get a result! If you have any luck trying anything else, let me know.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old Jul 21st 2015, 1:16 pm
Tryna move to T.O

Hi Jamie,

Bloody awful isn't it? I did opt to go for the CES route. However the reason I went with WES in the first place was that CES processing times are a mean average of 13 weeks compared to WES's 20 days. Also, they have no on-line anything; they do however email you once they've received your payment etc and docs.

So I'm still waiting for a result, which may not come until the end of next month/beginning of September.

I'll post back here when I get a result! If you have any luck trying anything else, let me know.

Cheers,
Graeme
Okay yeh it is dreaded wait!

Okay yes please let us all know, fingers crossed it the result we both want!

I sent them an email too asking them what they would mark as the equivalent but no response yet.

I'll wait to hear back from you and then go from there
Old Jul 21st 2015, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

It is surprising that the two agencies would evaluate so differently. So much for having the same standards across the board!
Old Jul 21st 2015, 2:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

My take on this ....

BTEC level 3 being a vocational qualification against the A Levels as academic, then if you consider the BTEC level 3 as somewhat equivelent to A levels (6th form) both as an entry qualification to first year university or HFE, then a Canadian academic high school diploma grade 12 (advanced academic subjects & marks) [6th form] that the holder is accepted to first year university would be similar if not the same as the holder of A levels in the UK.

Someone with a BETEC level 3 wanting to continue their studies to HFE, is likley to go to the HNC or maybe an HND rather than first year university.

Someone with A levels in the right subjects could gain entry to the first year of an HND program in the UK.

In Canada similar, that someone with a general high school diploma [less than 6th form closer to GCSE] would not gain a place in University & more likely to opt for a community college course similar to a 2-year full time program as the UK BTEC

So having said that, my broad based opinion is that a UK BTEC level 3 diploma is equivelent to a 2 year community college course Diploma in the same disipline/subject.

If any of that made any sense?

for reference & comparison

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qu...ication-levels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_grade

http://www.cwc.ac.uk/Courses/Pages/1131.aspx

What do I need to get on to the HND course?

You need to be at least seventeen years of age with four GCSEs at Grade C AND one A level, or an equivalent qualification (e.g. BTEC National Diploma, or GNVQ Advanced Level 3 in an appropriate subject) for the HND year 1.

You will then progress to the HND year 2 programme. You will be asked for some written work so that your academic written level can be assessed. Mature applicants without formal qualifications will be considered on their individual merit. As much practical material, be it creative or technical, should be collated into a form of show-reel or portfolio. This will give admission tutors a clearer idea of music technology ability and in turn helps us provide a greater learner experience

Last edited by not2old; Jul 21st 2015 at 2:38 pm. Reason: added links
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

It all made sense. A BTEC level 3 will get you onto most proper bachelor undergrad courses. IT did for me anyway.

I think that the core thing, there are various types of BTEC diploma qualification varying skill level and hours of study.

I can only think WES haven't looked at it properly....

Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:36 pm
Tryna move to T.O

It all made sense. A BTEC level 3 will get you onto most proper bachelor undergrad courses. IT did for me anyway.

I think that the core thing, there are various types of BTEC diploma qualification varying skill level and hours of study.

I can only think WES haven't looked at it properly....

Fingers crossed!
Agreed, Hope for the best!
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum to see if I could find a similar issue, but didnt find an exact match.

I have a UK BTEC Level 3 National Diploman in Music Technology. It was a full time 2 year course, and got me into several universities here in the UK. WES have assessed it and said they consider it only to be worth 1 single semester of post secondary education.

I did appeal, but this was their response: "We understand your concern, however please be advised that it was upon examination of the specifications for BTEC National Diploma, as well as after taking into account the level, scope, and intent of the program of study, it was determined that these represent the equivalent of one semester of post-secondary study."

Does anyone think I could achieve a better result with one of the others? It doesnt seem right that a 2 year course be worth a few weeks in Canada.

Or am i simply just wrong about it?

I'd really love peoples opinions, as I was counting on those points!

Thanks,
Graeme
If it got you into several Universities, wouldn't your degree (presuming you have one) give you the points you need instead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.