Bristol to BC

Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Davrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bristol to BC

So here is my situation.
I'm a 39 year old guy from Bristol (roofer) I have 3 kids living in BC they are UK born to a British mum. My ex moved over about 4 years ago with her gf and although we get on the logistics of seeing the kids is taking it's toll. My kids are 17,15 And 9 and the older ones keep asking why I don't just move over. In all honesty I have nothing here apart from work and friends so thought I would see if it possible. The internet is confusing the hell out of me so thought I would reach out to some people with some experience/knowledge. So the advise I am after is do you think it's even possible for me to move over and what would be my best course of action.
Thanks for reading and any advise given.
Rich.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bristol to BC

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Best thing to do is take a look at the CIC eligibility test and see what it comes back with - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...come-to-canada

Once you've done that, let us know what it says.

Are your children Canadian citizens or PRs? If so, then your eldest could sponsor you for PR once s/he is 18, so that's a potential back up if there's no way to get there sooner.

HTH.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:35 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Best thing to do is take a look at the CIC eligibility test and see what it comes back with - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...come-to-canada

Once you've done that, let us know what it says.

Are your children Canadian citizens or PRs? If so, then your eldest could sponsor you for PR once s/he is 18, so that's a potential back up if there's no way to get there sooner.

HTH.
1, It is unlikely that a 18 year old could sponsor, as s/he would require 3 years of employment that met the Minimum income + 30% to submit an application to the pool for parents and grandparents.
2. The OP would probably have to apply under EE
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that.
So last night I did that about 100 times lol and answered in various different ways trying to narrow down what I need and it looks as though I need to do the language tests and make sure I have enough money. Is one or the other of the English tests better out of IELTS and sorry I've forgotten I think it began with a c.
The wizard certainly is a handy tool I hadn't found that before so appreciate the link.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, It is unlikely that a 18 year old could sponsor, as s/he would require 3 years of employment that met the Minimum income + 30% to submit an application to the pool for parents and grandparents.
2. The OP would probably have to apply under EE
Ok that does make sense that a sponsor should contribute before bringing someone in. At the minute it looks like if I put enough away and do the English test then I should be eligible.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davrich
Thanks for that.
So last night I did that about 100 times lol and answered in various different ways trying to narrow down what I need and it looks as though I need to do the language tests and make sure I have enough money. Is one or the other of the English tests better out of IELTS and sorry I've forgotten I think it began with a c.
The wizard certainly is a handy tool I hadn't found that before so appreciate the link.
Yes, the IELTS exam is mandatory for EE apps, ditto the proof of funds amount.

So if it says you're eligible to enter the EE pool once you've got/done those, then that's good but it's only the first step.

You also need to check your points score on the CRS test, to see what you'd be scoring on that. Once you apply under EE and enter the 'pool' of applicants, then only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR, so to be in with a chance you'll need to be scoring reasonably well on that as well. You can check your score here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

As a roofer, you'd be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, which luckily can have a much lower points requirement than the other economic streams.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, the IELTS exam is mandatory for EE apps, ditto the proof of funds amount.

So if it says you're eligible to enter the EE pool once you've got/done those, then that's good but it's only the first step.

You also need to check your points score on the CRS test, to see what you'd be scoring on that. Once you apply under EE and enter the 'pool' of applicants, then only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR, so to be in with a chance you'll need to be scoring reasonably well on that as well. You can check your score here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

As a roofer, you'd be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, which luckily can have a much lower points requirement than the other economic streams.
Just had a quick look at the crs and I scored 318 doesn't seem great but I will have to have a better look later.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Ok so far things are looking ok and I will be creating my account on the express entry site. I want to try and be as prepared as possible so I am booked in for my IELTS next month.
What other paperwork/documents/test will I need to include in my application? Just want to try and get everything ready.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok so far things are looking ok and I will be creating my account on the express entry site. I want to try and be as prepared as possible so I am booked in for my IELTS next month.
What other paperwork/documents/test will I need to include in my application? Just want to try and get everything ready.
Do you mean applying just to enter the EE pool? Or your actual PR application if you get an ITA?

If the former, then you will need your IELTS exam results, your ECA, and if you want to be considered under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (which is your only option with a low score), then you'll also need either a job offer or provincial certification. You aren't eligible without one or the other of those.

If you mean once you actually apply for PR then there's a lot more paperwork involved, but if you can clarify we'll try and help.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Yes for now just for the pool.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes for now just for the pool.
OK, so just the above then.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

So once I have applied for the express entry and get into the pool. What happens next? Is that when I apply for work or can I do that now?
When would I be able to go over for work etc. I really am lost at this point. Many thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So once I have applied for the express entry and get into the pool. What happens next? Is that when I apply for work or can I do that now?
When would I be able to go over for work etc. I really am lost at this point. Many thanks.
So you get all of the above sorted (ECA, IELTS, and either provincial certification or a job offer). You are then eligible to apply to enter the EE pool.

Once you're in the pool you wait until you (hopefully) receive an Invitation to Apply. If you don't receive an ITA after a year then your profile just expires and you have to reapply.

Once you've got an ITA you then have 90 days to submit your full application, and that results in PR. Processing times are about 6 months as a rough guide (from when you submit the actual application).

You can't go over and work until you have PR, unless you get a job offer/sponsoring employer/LMIA/TWP.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 27th 2018 at 9:53 pm.