Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Border crossing day after Canadian citizenship ceremony

Border crossing day after Canadian citizenship ceremony

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Border crossing day after Canadian citizenship ceremony

I have my citizenship ceremony on Friday and was planning on heading to the US on Saturday. I believe I'm correct in saying that I have to surrender my PR card at my ceremony so will be traveling on my British passport with my Nexus card. My last I94-W has expired so I was going to renew this entering the US. Will I have any problems coming back into Canada? Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border crossing day after Canadian citizenship ceremony

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
I have my citizenship ceremony on Friday and was planning on heading to the US on Saturday. I believe I'm correct in saying that I have to surrender my PR card at my ceremony so will be traveling on my British passport with my Nexus card. My last I94-W has expired so I was going to renew this entering the US. Will I have any problems coming back into Canada? Any help greatly appreciated!
I suggest taking a copy of the PR card and letter regarding the Citizenship ceremony and explaining you had to hand over the PR card at the ceremony. I believe you get the Citizenship certificate at the ceremony so you could also take that although its not a travel document.
I dont see any huge problems.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with FL...also remember once you get your Canadian passport you have to update NEXUS details and you will get a new card.

You won't have a problem entering the US on just your UK passport without a PR card, and on the way back showing UK passport and citizenship certificate (assuming you are crossing by land and not air).

When you come back to Canada make sure you hand in your I94 as you won't be needing it anymore as the next time you cross you'll be crossing as a Canadian.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated! To be safe I'll take a copy of my PR card, citizenship certificate and British passport. Also thanks Gozit for the reminder about handing in my I-94W.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

CBP have a cow if any of the details in your NEXUS record are wrong, I know from experience (turned out to be I'd forgotten to fill in some field to do with my passport, even though you don't even need the thing if you've got NEXUS). Bit late now but you don't say whether you're going by air or land anyway. By land I would have updated the NEXUS details and entered as a Canadian and given the guy at the POE the I-94. By air you have to have a passport to go through check-in, so options are limited, either don't use NEXUS or cross your fingers and hope they don't notice you're Canadian.

You can enter Canada using almost anything, it's only the Americans that care. You can use a DL for example to enter Canada or your citizenship certificate (or letter or whatever they're handing out these days).

CBP at secondary inspection awhile back got a bit uppity with me because I'm a dual citizen and the inspector wanted to know if I was taking the piss by using different passports and I've never entered as a British citizen since becoming Canadian so that saved an argument. It only takes one jobsworth.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I got a new NEXUS card but you have to physically apply for a replacement through you TTP account (once you've updated your docs at an office.)
Old Apr 25th 2018, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
CBP have a cow if any of the details in your NEXUS record are wrong, I know from experience (turned out to be I'd forgotten to fill in some field to do with my passport, even though you don't even need the thing if you've got NEXUS). Bit late now but you don't say whether you're going by air or land anyway. By land I would have updated the NEXUS details and entered as a Canadian and given the guy at the POE the I-94. By air you have to have a passport to go through check-in, so options are limited, either don't use NEXUS or cross your fingers and hope they don't notice you're Canadian.

You can enter Canada using almost anything, it's only the Americans that care. You can use a DL for example to enter Canada or your citizenship certificate (or letter or whatever they're handing out these days).

CBP at secondary inspection awhile back got a bit uppity with me because I'm a dual citizen and the inspector wanted to know if I was taking the piss by using different passports and I've never entered as a British citizen since becoming Canadian so that saved an argument. It only takes one jobsworth.
To clarify, I'm having my ceremony this Friday morning, and going to the US Saturday morning, crossing by land at Peace Arch. I don't think that is sufficient time to update my NEXUS card. Also, I cannot apply for a Canadian passport for at least two days after my ceremony so could not possibly cross the border with a Canadian passport despite technically being a Canadian.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated! To be safe I'll take a copy of my PR card, citizenship certificate and British passport. Also thanks Gozit for the reminder about handing in my I-94W.

I wouldn't bother with the copy of the PR card...as a Canadian citizen it is not valid as you are not a PR anymore. Take your citizenship certificate and UK passport - you will be given an I94-W at the US border and you should hand it back in on the Canadian side, and if you want to err on the side of caution don't use NEXUS - I recall a bit saying if any of the details changed and I didn't update them before I next used my NEXUS card I could lose my membership. It only takes one jobsworth. If you just enter as a plain British citizen on the US side, and as a Canadian with your certificate+UK passport on the Canadian side, then update your NEXUS details when you get your new Canadian passport you should be OK.