Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Best way of moving to Canada with a Canadian spouse?

Best way of moving to Canada with a Canadian spouse?

Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way of moving to Canada with a Canadian spouse?

Originally Posted by IAP
Many thanks Former Lancastrian, Christmasoompa and Vulcanoid.

That seems quite easy: once I have the visa (!) I can land before the expiry of the COPR to activate my PR status. But then could leave again if I need to. And since my spouse and I will be living together that satisfies the Residency Obligation.

Vulcanoid - thanks for the reminder of the need to prove intent to reside in Canada. This does seem tricky but the wiki has some suggestions so we'll give it a shot. Any additional tips welcome.

One other question I have is about translating documents:

Following a minor miracle I am now in possession of a letter from the Afghan Ministry of Interior stating that I have no criminal record in Afghanistan. This letter is in Dari.

I presume that I now need to get a translation of the letter into English. Is this correct and are there any guidelines around this?

Thanks as always.
From the CIC website
What language should my supporting documents be in?
Unless we tell you otherwise, all supporting documents must be in English or French.

If it is not in English or French, you must send it with:

the English or French translation and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and
a certified photocopy of the original document
What language should my supporting documents be in?