Landing and PR Card Process

Old Nov 24th 2017, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing and PR Card Process

Hi guys,

So today I received my COPR and to say I'm happy and relieved is an understatement.

My attention is now turning to the landing process. I'm already in Canada so planning to return home to the UK for Christmas and then officially land upon my return to Canada.

The tricky part is that I want to move between now and January - which address will CIC send the PR card to? Will they ask for an address at the border?

Will the PR card be automatically sent to me once I land or do I have to complete an application form? Is there a fee attached to the PR card?

Finally,I understand that once I've landed I won't be able to leave Canada until my PR card arrives. Why is this?
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing and PR Card Process

Hi

Originally Posted by El Supremo
Hi guys,

So today I received my COPR and to say I'm happy and relieved is an understatement.

My attention is now turning to the landing process. I'm already in Canada so planning to return home to the UK for Christmas and then officially land upon my return to Canada.

The tricky part is that I want to move between now and January - which address will CIC send the PR card to? Will they ask for an address at the border?

Will the PR card be automatically sent to me once I land or do I have to complete an application form? Is there a fee attached to the PR card?

Finally,I understand that once I've landed I won't be able to leave Canada until my PR card arrives. Why is this?
1. When you "land" you will be asked for a residential address, if you don't have one (or you don't want it sent to a friend) you will be given a fax form to send in with an address within 6 months with an address.
2. The PR card is completed by CBSA when you "land" using the copy of the COPR with the photos.
3. The fee was included in your Immigration application, but if you wait more than 6 months to supply IRCC with an address, you have to apply for a new PR card and pay the fee.
5. You can leave, but an airline won't board you for the return trip without either a PR card, or PR travel document. Which has to be obtained overseas.
6. You can enter Canada at a land border in non commercial vehicles by showing your passport and your copy of the COPR.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing and PR Card Process

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. When you "land" you will be asked for a residential address, if you don't have one (or you don't want it sent to a friend) you will be given a fax form to send in with an address within 6 months with an address.
2. The PR card is completed by CBSA when you "land" using the copy of the COPR with the photos.
3. The fee was included in your Immigration application, but if you wait more than 6 months to supply IRCC with an address, you have to apply for a new PR card and pay the fee.
5. You can leave, but an airline won't board you for the return trip without either a PR card, or PR travel document. Which has to be obtained overseas.
6. You can enter Canada at a land border in non commercial vehicles by showing your passport and your copy of the COPR.
What PMM said.

The reason the airlines wont allow you to board a return flight is that they have strict instructions NOT to allow permanent residents to board unless they show either a PR card or a PRTD (your ETA should have been cancelled once they start to process your PR card application). The airlines do not have the computer access that a CBSA agent has, so cannot actually check directly, which is why you can get back on foot etc through a land border.