BC MEDICAL INSURANCE

Old Feb 18th 2001, 8:19 am
Stuart Butt

Hi,

We are landing in Vancouver on 3rd of March from the UK, We understand that we are not
covered by BC health insurance until the end of the second month,after the month we arrive
in. So 1st of June onwards.

I have been trying desperatley to get medical cover for the period upto June but it
seems impossible in the UK,(unless you lie and say your coming back) which defeats the
object really.

Can anyone help, does anyone know of any companies in Canada that I can insure with.

Many Thanks

Stuart & Lisa

Old Feb 18th 2001, 11:26 am
Jade Naaman

Well well!

I thought newly arriving immigrants had health coverag from day 0!

Or am I missing something?

Jade.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:19:33 -0000, "Stuart Butt"

>Hi,
>
>We are landing in Vancouver on 3rd of March from the UK, We understand that we are not
>covered by BC health insurance until the end of the second month,after the month we
>arrive in. So 1st of June onwards.
>
>I have been trying desperatley to get medical cover for the period upto June but it
>seems impossible in the UK,(unless you lie and say your coming back) which defeats the
>object really.
>
>Can anyone help, does anyone know of any companies in Canada that I can insure with.
>
>
>Many Thanks
>
>Stuart & Lisa
>
>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.usenet.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:11 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

> Well well!
>
> I thought newly arriving immigrants had health coverag from day 0!
>

Not in British Columbia. Some provinces, such as Manitoba, will provide coverage for newly
arrived immigrants from the day that they arrive, but this is not required by law.
Manitoba simply chooses to do more than the law requires.

In BC, newly arrived immigrants must wait the remainder of the month in which they apply
plus two more months before their provincial medical insurance becomes effective.

It's similar in Ontario. Newly arrived immigrants do not receive medical coverage until
three months after they establish residence in Ontario.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 18th 2001, 4:39 pm
Adnan Al-Saadi

Quebec provincial government offers free medical insurance retroactively from day-1.

--
A. H. Al-Saadi Canadian Immigration 2000 http://www.arabimmigration.com
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email (Canadian Immigration 2000 policy is to assist individuals and
families of the Independent Category how to compile and submit their immigration file
to the appropriate Canadian visa office by themselves for free)

> > Well well!
> >
> > I thought newly arriving immigrants had health coverag from day 0!
> >
>
> Not in British Columbia. Some provinces, such as Manitoba, will provide coverage for
> newly arrived immigrants from the day that they arrive, but this is not required by law.
> Manitoba simply chooses to do more than the law requires.
>
> In BC, newly arrived immigrants must wait the remainder of the month in which they apply
> plus two more months before their provincial medical insurance becomes effective.
>
> It's similar in Ontario. Newly arrived immigrants do not receive medical coverage until
> three months after they establish residence in Ontario.
>
> Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 18th 2001, 11:28 pm
Luke

can u not just use travel insurance until the bc health insurance kicks in?

> Hi,
>
> We are landing in Vancouver on 3rd of March from the UK, We understand
that
> we are not covered by BC health insurance until the end of the second month,after the
> month we arrive in. So 1st of June onwards.
>
> I have been trying desperatley to get medical cover for the period upto
June
> but it seems impossible in the UK,(unless you lie and say your coming
back)
> which defeats the object really.
>
> Can anyone help, does anyone know of any companies in Canada that I can insure with.
>
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Stuart & Lisa

Old Feb 19th 2001, 1:40 am
Rich Wales

Stephen C. Gallagher wrote:

> It's similar in Ontario. Newly arrived immigrants do not receive medical coverage
> until three months after they establish residence in Ontario.

When my wife, daughter, and I landed at the end of 1992 (and settled in Ontario), we were
able to get OHIP coverage right away. However, around the middle of 1993, the Ontario
government changed the provin- cial law so that new immigrants would not be covered until
they had been in the province for three months. This change didn't affect us, but I do
remember some friends (non-immigrant foreign students) who had been covered under OHIP but
lost their coverage altogether when this change took effect.

As far as I'm aware, the Canada Health Act (federal law governing health care) only
=requires= provinces and territories to cover people who are residents (citizens or landed
immigrants) and who have been in the province for at least three months. If a province
wishes to go beyond this bottom-line requirement, that's OK, but they don't have to.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.