Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR through FSW program from within Canada on Working Holiday permits?

Applying for PR through FSW program from within Canada on Working Holiday permits?

Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

mcurrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Applying for PR through FSW program from within Canada on Working Holiday permits?

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to Canada on IEC Working Holiday permits in Jan. However, he qualifies to apply for express entry PR under the FSW program, and we want to get this process started asap. We had filled in all the application to get in to the pool but are waiting on WES evaluations before submitting and it looks like potentially they might not come through before we leave for Canada (although there is more than 20 days from them receiving our documents to when we depart, I hear they are sometimes over on this).

What I'm wondering is, what is the process for applying for PR from within Canada if we run out of time? Is it possible? My husband has a job to go to in Canada, which is exempt from LMIA ...it is a permanent job offer in an NOC code 0 job. Not sure how this could impact our application, if at all. Generally finding very little information about applying for PR from within the country so any info/tips would be much appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR through FSW program from within Canada on Working Holiday permits

The process is exactly the same no matter where you apply from, so you'd just carry on with applying as you would if you were in the UK, it's no different.

If you're borderline points wise on the CRS, then you might want to wait until he's done a year's work experience in Canada so that you qualify for CEC and get the extra points, but your call.

HTH.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR through FSW program from within Canada on Working Holiday permits

P.S. In your previous post you said you had included points for a job offer as your husband had a LMIA, but now say he won't have a LMIA? Just so you're aware, you can't include points for a job offer if that is the case.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

Yep that's right, on further conversation with his employers we found out that they are LMIA exempt. I must have made a mistake using the points calculator previously as his score is now coming out at 360! This seems really low, considering he has over 10 years experience as a skilled worker in jobs 0 and A, a degree and high scores in language tests. I expect the only way to achieve higher scores is with Canadian work experience, a masters or PhD or a qualifying job offer?

I know the last draw invited candidates with points much higher than this. Do you think there is no point entering the pool at this time? If you're already working in Canada, does this affect points at all as it wouldn't be a job offer but current employment?

Say he does a year in this job then leaves it to become self-employed (which i know doesn't count towards work experience) would he still be eligible for CEC? How many points would the years work in Canada add?

Many thanks
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mcurrid
Yep that's right, on further conversation with his employers we found out that they are LMIA exempt.
An employer can't be LMIA exempt, only certain jobs can. Perhaps they mean that because he has an IEC a LMIA isn't needed? Which is correct, but of course means you won't get the points for a job offer to start with unfortunately.

I must have made a mistake using the points calculator previously as his score is now coming out at 360! This seems really low, considering he has over 10 years experience as a skilled worker in jobs 0 and A, a degree and high scores in language tests. I expect the only way to achieve higher scores is with Canadian work experience, a masters or PhD or a qualifying job offer?
That is odd as he must be aged 30 or under to get the IEC (normally it would be older applicants that struggle to score enough even with good education etc, as they lose so many points for age).

I would double/triple check again, but this time do it both with the calculator and also use the details of each points section so you can make sure you're claiming points correctly -

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html

I know the last draw invited candidates with points much higher than this. Do you think there is no point entering the pool at this time?
Not at 360 really - the lowest it's ever gone to was 415 iirc, so he's quite a way off that. But once he's worked in Canada for a year or more, he'll get more points (although also potentially lose some for getting older, depending on how old he is now and when his birthday is). You might as well apply now though, just in case the points do drop, you never know. Have you also checked your points score in case you score higher?

If you're already working in Canada, does this affect points at all as it wouldn't be a job offer but current employment?
Only once you've got enough work experience (see the link above which sets out the various ways to get points). And the job offer would count once he's worked there for a year or more, as then he'd be moving from a temp employment offer (on the IEC) to a permanent one.

Say he does a year in this job then leaves it to become self-employed (which i know doesn't count towards work experience) would he still be eligible for CEC? How many points would the years work in Canada add?
Self-employed work does count towards work experience for a FSW application - any 'skilled' work does, no matter who he works for. See above again for more info on the points.

HTH, good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you!

This makes a lot of sense, as I forgot to mention he's Irish and 35, the maximum age he can be to participate from Ireland! So he's essentially lost 25 points on age alone, and would lose another 10 in the next two years. No harm in applying I guess, you never know for sure.

Many thanks