Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR - Eligibility and Process Steps

Applying for PR - Eligibility and Process Steps

Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Drthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for PR - Eligibility and Process Steps

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding applying for PR whilst living and working in Canada - For some background -

My family and I moved out to Canada this year after I accept a job offer in Canada. I moved out on a inter-work transfer visa for initially two years. My job got extended last week and I am now in discussions about being offed a permanent position. I am currently working in the IT field as a senior project manager NOC 0213. Prior to this role, I was working as a Systems Analyst (10 years plus experience).

In terms of education, I only completed secondary education and I speak English (no French) reading and writing at an advanced level. My wife has two bachelor degrees and worked as a probation officer in the UK for 10 years, we are both in our mid 30’s.

So, having done some basic reading on the PR process, my understanding is that I would be eligible to apply under the federal skilled worker express entry visa, however what I am not sure off, is what my employer needs to provide to support my application. I would also be interested to know (based on the above) your thoughts on my eligibility to apply for PR.

All feedback welcome and thank you.

Regards
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR - Eligibility and Process Steps

Originally Posted by Drthorne
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding applying for PR whilst living and working in Canada - For some background -

My family and I moved out to Canada this year after I accept a job offer in Canada. I moved out on a inter-work transfer visa for initially two years. My job got extended last week and I am now in discussions about being offed a permanent position. I am currently working in the IT field as a senior project manager NOC 0213. Prior to this role, I was working as a Systems Analyst (10 years plus experience).

In terms of education, I only completed secondary education and I speak English (no French) reading and writing at an advanced level. My wife has two bachelor degrees and worked as a probation officer in the UK for 10 years, we are both in our mid 30’s.

So, having done some basic reading on the PR process, my understanding is that I would be eligible to apply under the federal skilled worker express entry visa, however what I am not sure off, is what my employer needs to provide to support my application. I would also be interested to know (based on the above) your thoughts on my eligibility to apply for PR.

Regards

If you want to know your chances of getting PR through FSW, then the points calculators you need are at Selection factors: federal skilled workers (for FSW - you need 67 points to get into the pool) and Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry (for Comprehensive Ranking - you need a varying number, currently around 440, to be drawn out of the pool).

You may also be admissible through Canadian Experience Class, due to skilled work in Canada (Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class).

Going through either of these, any job that you're claiming points for, the employer will need to verify dates and responsibilities, to ensure that you meet the criteria.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Regards
As said you will likely be eligible under CEC and if you were you would be offered PR on that basis before FSW.

Check you CRS points this will tell you if you need anything from your employer except confirmation of employment and duties.

I have just got my PR by going through a process very similar to yours so feel free to reach out if you need more info.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for your response. Have a few extra questions if you don't mind helping.

My understanding is that I can apply for PR (CEC) after being in Canada for over 12 months, I also believe that we need to undertake language tests prior to making an application. Should I be concerned by the lack of education I have? I believe we will hit the points target based on the fact my partners role/experiences is taken into account also?

Also, how long did the process take for you, and what sort of background information did you need to supply?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:46 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey.... Ive only gone and posted this in the wrong thread....

Ignore this and carry on!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your response. Have a few extra questions if you don't mind helping.

My understanding is that I can apply for PR (CEC) after being in Canada for over 12 months, I also believe that we need to undertake language tests prior to making an application. Should I be concerned by the lack of education I have? I believe we will hit the points target based on the fact my partners role/experiences is taken into account also?

Also, how long did the process take for you, and what sort of background information did you need to supply?

Thanks for your help.
You can apply once you have 12 months of skilled Canadian work experience and meet the eligibility criteria here: Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

Yes, you need to have language testing before you apply. In relation to education it is going to depend on two things:

1) Your CRS points; you can check that here:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

2) If a minimum level of education is typically required for the NOC code you are claiming your work experience in. For example, I am a civil engineer, so the typical education requirement for a job is a bachelors degree in civil engineering. Without that I may not be considered to meet the requirements for the career.

My timeline gives a good idea of the process I went through. We will be 'landing' this weekend to activate PR.

I did start collecting information prior to that so all in all I expect it will be just shy of a year for PR (from TFW ICT SK). You will need to supply (for each person) personnel history, travel history, work history etc. for the past 10 years or back to 18 years of age. criminal record checks for anywhere you have lived for 6 months or longer since age 18. Proof of employment incl. employer references (these have to include your duties and responsibilities), proof of education (for points being claimed), proof of language testing, proof of medical.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much - Looking at the NOC description it says the following -

A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is usually required.

Several years of experience in systems analysis, data administration, software engineering, network design or computer programming, including supervisory experience, are required.

I certainly have the experience, but It does not say a bachelor degree IS required, so given I am in role I should be ok. Certainly my lack of education is going to be a disadvantage, but I am hopeful we can still get a decent score.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks very much - Looking at the NOC description it says the following -

A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, business administration, commerce or engineering is usually required.

Several years of experience in systems analysis, data administration, software engineering, network design or computer programming, including supervisory experience, are required.

I certainly have the experience, but It does not say a bachelor degree IS required, so given I am in role I should be ok. Certainly my lack of education is going to be a disadvantage, but I am hopeful we can still get a decent score.
You can check your score using crs calculator that will give you an idea.

Provided you have the experience I wouldn't worry about the lack of formal education unless you are short on points.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

So, Checked my score online and I am hit hard because i have only been in the post for one year and lack of education - Currently around the 390 point mark. Can I apply for the BC provisional Nomination Certificate as I believe that will boost my points?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked what your wife would score if she was the main applicant?
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

She has education but no job offer. I am hoping that we will be eligible for bc nomination.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but she might qualify for EE under FSW with you contributing points for language and Canadian Work Exp (if you have a year+). She doesn't need a job offer.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

She has education but no job offer. I am hoping that we will be eligible for bc nomination.
Bear in mind that's also points based, so do check your scores via the BC PNP website too to make sure you're definitely likely to be selected and given a nomination.

HTH.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Thank you - Looking the job SIRS Calc - I would get around 136 points for PNP - WHich should be more than enough. One question can I apply for a nomination certificate now and then apply for PR next year?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Looking for a further bit of advise - So after doing some digging (should have scoped this out before we came out) my work lawyers submitted my Inter work transfer visa based on 2171 NOC code System Analyst Consultant- This is despite the fact my job role in Canada is Senior Project Manager.

So my question now is, do I submit my NOC/PR application based on the NOC code on my work visa or what's my job title is? There are certainly overlaps between the two roles and my experience (prior to moving out) was as a systems analyst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.