Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Extension under Visitor

Applying for Extension under Visitor

Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Applying for Extension under Visitor

My wife's current IEC visa expires on September 18th, 2017. We have just submitted her Application to Extend her Visitor status. Will she have to leave the country before the 18th and come back in? Or since the application has already been submitted, is she okay to stay until she hears back from immigration office?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that we had submitted an application for PR in January and are just waiting for that now.

Last edited by Tototoro; Sep 10th 2017 at 6:40 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Extension under Visitor

She won't have to leave but will have to stop working on the day the IEC work permit expires.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond reputeTototoro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
She won't have to leave but will have to stop working on the day the IEC work permit expires.
She's a stay at home mom now to our little boy! So that won't be an issue
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Also, I forgot to ask....will she have to extend her Travellers Insurance? She currently has Alberta Healthcare and when I spoke with them, they said as long as she has visitors status, they can extend her Alberta Healthcare while she is waiting for PR but will CIC require us to get additional travellers insurance on top of it?
Old Sep 12th 2017, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tototoro
Also, I forgot to ask....will she have to extend her Travellers Insurance? She currently has Alberta Healthcare and when I spoke with them, they said as long as she has visitors status, they can extend her Alberta Healthcare while she is waiting for PR but will CIC require us to get additional travellers insurance on top of it?
As she submitted an application to extend her status from IRCC she would be on Implied Status until a decision is made but there is no formal documentation given to her unless its approved so there might be a problem convincing Alberta Health that she has legal status as the IEC permit expires in September.
Id suggest looking for a short term extension to her Travellers Insurance until she either gets PR status or a new document from IRCC.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree: short term insurance is a good idea. I found this which seems to be some of sort of comparison site no idea if helpful but gives a broad idea of costs (never used them but was researching for someone a few months ago):

https://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/#/
Old Sep 16th 2017, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I agree: short term insurance is a good idea. I found this which seems to be some of sort of comparison site no idea if helpful but gives a broad idea of costs (never used them but was researching for someone a few months ago):

https://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/#/
As she submitted an application to extend her status from IRCC she would be on Implied Status until a decision is made but there is no formal documentation given to her unless its approved so there might be a problem convincing Alberta Health that she has legal status as the IEC permit expires in September.
Id suggest looking for a short term extension to her Travellers Insurance until she either gets PR status or a new document from IRCC.
Thanks guys! I called Alberta Health Care. They were extremely helpful and just for future reference...they CAN and WILL extend your Alberta Health Care as long as you get in touch with them BEFORE your currently Health Care Card expires. You just have ot provide them with the Application Number that you submitted for Extension as a Visitor starting with the V. They have extended it for 3 months until we hear back and then we just have to bring in the confirmation of extension to any Registry and it will be extended until the expiry of the visitor extension