Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on Spouse sponsor move prior to app completion

Advice on Spouse sponsor move prior to app completion

Old May 29th 2008, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

deef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Spouse sponsor move prior to app completion

Hi.
I've hunted what feel like the whole internet and can't find any info/advice on the following:

I am a Canadian currently living in the UK (and have done for 9 1/2 years). My Scottish wife (whom I've been living with for 8 years) and I are moving to BC. As a result of long delays with her medical (which we started back in November and are all done now), the sending off of our application has been delayed by some 7 months. This is a real problem as we are intending to move in the beginning of July. This would have given us easily 8 months to get everything completed but is sadly no longer the case. My Dad is living in Canada with cancer and we really need to get over ASAP. My question is this:

Can my wife go to Canada whilst the application is underway? For example, if we get the application off in the next couple of weeks, is it ok for her to go and stay there providing she does not work, until the application is complete?

I have read on the CIC website that visitors from the UK can stay (at the discretion of Airport immigration officers) for up to 6 months, so this should be enough time for the application to be completed from what I have read of others experiences on the BE site.

Any help/advice on this point would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
David
Old May 29th 2008, 6:33 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on Spouse sponsor move prior to app completion

I can only speak for my experience, but when me and my wife crossed the border at Sarnia, Ontario we explained that I was going to apply for PR via spousal sponsorship. The immigration official was friendly enough, but needed to see both our passports and our wedding certificate. If you've already applied, bring copies of your forms to show the officer(s). I'm presuming you're travelling with her, which would certainly help her case. She'll almost certainly get the full six months, and may even get 12 months (like I did), if your immigration officer is feeling generous.

As others have said elsewhere, be open and honest with immigration officials. They will appreciate your honesty, even if it does give you a little hassle in the short term. Hassle is bad, but spinning CIC a line is many times worse.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by edsask
I can only speak for my experience, but when me and my wife crossed the border at Sarnia, Ontario we explained that I was going to apply for PR via spousal sponsorship. The immigration official was friendly enough, but needed to see both our passports and our wedding certificate. If you've already applied, bring copies of your forms to show the officer(s). I'm presuming you're travelling with her, which would certainly help her case. She'll almost certainly get the full six months, and may even get 12 months (like I did), if your immigration officer is feeling generous.

As others have said elsewhere, be open and honest with immigration officials. They will appreciate your honesty, even if it does give you a little hassle in the short term. Hassle is bad, but spinning CIC a line is many times worse.
edsask.
Thank you very much for the very quick response. You situation sounds very applicable to mine and my wife's. Am I correct in understanding that you were residing outside Canada prior to your move to Ontario?
Of course I'll do as you have suggested on the various point you made and yes she will be travelling with me.
I agree that honesty is the best policy.

Thanks again.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

she can land for 6 months as a visitor anyway. but just say when you land that she also has a PR application going through.

a good friend of mine did this when he went to Hamilton with his wife. his application is still being processed and he's been living there a month now.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sheadboy
she can land for 6 months as a visitor anyway. but just say when you land that she also has a PR application going through.

a good friend of mine did this when he went to Hamilton with his wife. his application is still being processed and he's been living there a month now.
Thanks sheadboy.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:49 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

my pleasure dude, all the best with the apps. and sorry to read about your dad. I hope he responds well to treatment!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for that.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:34 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by deef
Am I correct in understanding that you were residing outside Canada prior to your move to Ontario?
I was living in California before my move to Ontario. I moved here when my wife got a job here.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for clearing that up for me edsask.