Advice for Permits/Visas/LMIAs/PR

Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

KSeel89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Permits/Visas/LMIAs/PR

Hi All,

After some advice on moving forward in Canada - I am a PR Applicant under Common In Law Inland. My Application was received in Mississauga on the 7th Feb 2017, I am awaiting the email/response back with my UCI etc so I can track the progress of the application online.

In the meantime I have had some worrying news at work that could potentially lead to my job future not being secure where I'm at. I came over to Canada under an LMO in 2013 but that ran out officially a while ago, however my company got bought out/taken over and the new company decided to retain me at that point which meant I could obtain a new permit at that time, so my current permit runs out in September of this year 2017. Being that I'm worried about my current job situation and not wanting to leave Canada if I can help it (I have set up a nice life here, girlfriend, 2 dogs etc so leaving them would be heartbreaking even for a short time).

So I'm wondering if it would be advisable to apply for an Open Work Permit now even though my current doesn't run out till September (I'm told you should apply 3 or 4 months previous only) and the hopes of that being successful at this point? Or my other option if it would be viable for me is to apply internally to the same job I am doing right now just in a different location.. such as I am Regina SK now as a heavy duty technician, there is jobs in Calgary for the same company I work for doing the same job available, if I applied and was successful would I be able to change my work permit conditions without the need of a new LMIA (My company won't even attempt to try for an LMIA right now).

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Permits/Visas/LMIAs/PR

As an Inland Applicant, you can submit an appliication for an Open Work Permit at the same time as your Spousal Sponsorship - it takes around 4 months for it to be processed; the 3-4 month suggested 'wait time' before applying is for Bridging Open Work Permits (or extending a TWP), not the same thing.

In light of the potential for your job ending, it would make sense to apply for it now.

Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 17th 2017 at 4:06 pm.