Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for heading back to Canada - already have working visa

Advice for heading back to Canada - already have working visa

Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:50 am
Just Joined

ConfusedBrit100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Advice for heading back to Canada - already have working visa

Hello,

I already have a working visa that is valid until next year. I returned home thinking that I wanted to settle back in the UK but now I find myself really missing the life I had in Canada. I know they state that re-entry isn't guaranteed when you leave the Canada but should it be straightforward for me to return given that I have already jumped through lots of hoops when I was originally there? I have been out of Canada for 3 months.

Also, can I start the process to apply for permanent residency while still based in the U.K.? Half the reason for feeling unsettled in the first place was the uncertainty of not knowing how long the immigration process would take before I could feel properly settled in the country. I was there for 18 months and now realise I should probably have stayed.

I still have work contacts in the country. It is the piecemeal nature of the process to stay long term that worries me. I now realise that there's no gain without the pain!

Any advice welcome. Feeling very stupid and foolish right now! :-(
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for heading back to Canada - already have working visa

Yes, you can apply for PR now from the UK (if you are eligible of course). With regard to you being able to return, what do you mean by 'working visa', do you mean an IEC, or a normal work permit? The answer will depend on that.

HTH.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Work Permits (IEC and otherwise) and Study Permits all say: "This does not authorize reentry" at the bottom.

This means that the Officer at the border will determine whether you are inadmissible or admissible and thus whether you can enter Canada. What the Work Permit does (IEC or otherwise) is authorize you to work once you have been admitted.

If you don't have an eTA linked to your passport (and you have a British passport), you will need one to get on the plane to come to Canada.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 19th 2017 at 3:25 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If your work permit was linked to a specific employer and position and you quit that position, the work permit would no longer be valid. If you were on IEC, that would be different.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking work permits remain valid until expiry but if it is employer specific the person could only work for the named employer. They only become "invalid" when they expire or a removal order against someone is enforced. Sorry I thought the OP had an IEC WP (which for Brits means it's always an open work permit) but now realize we don't know that.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 19th 2017 at 11:42 pm.