Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

David198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Hi,I am currently in talks with an employer in Canada. Talks have progressed well and they are now asking what my plans are for immigration.

We are in the UK and I have a family of two young children, our ideal goal is to set ourselves two years in Canada and if we like our new life we would make it permanent. Having a job offer prior to gaining visas, would this speed up our process or determine which process would be best I.e. a temp visa or to go through the full immigration process?

We have a Skype call with brazalot immigration consultants next week but keen to find out what others have done in similar situations.

Many Thanks,

Dave
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa advice for moving a family with employment opportunity offered

Originally Posted by David198
Hi,I am currently in talks with an employer in Canada. Talks have progressed well and they are now asking what my plans are for immigration.

We are in the UK and I have a family of two young children, our ideal goal is to set ourselves two years in Canada and if we like our new life we would make it permanent. Having a job offer prior to gaining visas, would this speed up our process or determine which process would be best I.e. a temp visa or to go through the full immigration process?

We have a Skype call with brazalot immigration consultants next week but keen to find out what others have done in similar situations.

Many Thanks,

Dave
Is it likely that the company will be prepared to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment? (Takes months, and they have to pay $1000, advertise, and prove that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job). If they will not, or cannot, then they cannot sponsor you for a temporary work permit, and immigrating, without the support of a job offer, will be your only game in town.

If that is the case,, have you looked how you are for points on the Federal Skilled Worker calculators?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Is it likely that the company will be prepared to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment? (Takes months, and they have to pay $1000, advertise, and prove that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job). If they will not, or cannot, then they cannot sponsor you for a temporary work permit, and immigrating, without the support of a job offer, will be your only game in town.

If that is the case,, have you looked how you are for points on the Federal Skilled Worker calculators?
Thanks for the advice, we have had a points assessment which we came out above the qualification requirement for. This was through the immigration consultants Brazalot. Its good to get some feedback before we speak with the consultants who will be pushing us for their services
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Selection factors: federal skilled workers

If you want to apply through Federal Skilled Worker, you will need at least 67 points in the above.

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

To be drawn, you will then need to be above the draw level, which varies, but is normally around 420-450.

FSW leads to Permanent Residency, not a work permit. If you do go down that route, you will need education assessments, language tests, etc. If you have a job offer (meaning one supported by an LMIA, not just a 'if you can get here with the ability to work we'll hire you'), you may have the choice of temporary or permanent.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done a search on this forum for 'brazalot'?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Have you done a search on this forum for 'brazalot'?
+1. I'd strongly suggest you do OP! No need for you to use a consultant unless you have complicated circumstances, but if you do then I'd look at other (recommended) ones instead.

Then have a look at your points score on the CRS as mentioned above. Has the company mentioned sponsoring your visa at all?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. I'd strongly suggest you do OP! No need for you to use a consultant unless you have complicated circumstances, but if you do then I'd look at other (recommended) ones instead.

Then have a look at your points score on the CRS as mentioned above. Has the company mentioned sponsoring your visa at all?
Thank you, I will read up on Brazalot.

The company seem quite keen on me and are interested to know what timescales are required for immigration. If they could help then I would be interested to propose this option to them
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I will read up on Brazalot.

The company seem quite keen on me and are interested to know what timescales are required for immigration. If they could help then I would be interested to propose this option to them
If they want you out there relatively quickly, then they're going to have to help and 'sponsor' your visa.

If you go over on a Temp Work Permit first, then you're looking at around 3-4 months - this is assuming they've been advertising the job for a while already, as they have to prove they've advertised it for 4 weeks or more before being able to apply for a LMIA. If they've not been advertising it for a while and need to start from scratch, add another month on to that timescale.

Another option is PNP, which will have a similar timescale for them to get you out there on a Temp Work Permit.

If you apply for PR yourself (assuming you're scoring enough as above), then figure about 8-10 months from start to finish, depending on which agency you use to apply for your ECA and how quickly you can get an IELTS exam slot.

HTH.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Selection factors: federal skilled workers

If you want to apply through Federal Skilled Worker, you will need at least 67 points in the above.

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

To be drawn, you will then need to be above the draw level, which varies, but is normally around 420-450.

FSW leads to Permanent Residency, not a work permit. If you do go down that route, you will need education assessments, language tests, etc. If you have a job offer (meaning one supported by an LMIA, not just a 'if you can get here with the ability to work we'll hire you'), you may have the choice of temporary or permanent.
This is really helpful. Reading through the options it seems the skilled worker program looks a viable option.

I think I will put my options as a summary like you have above and see what feedback I get from the employer, that should gauge how serious they are and if they are willing to help.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

This is really helpful. Reading through the options it seems the skilled worker program looks a viable option.
It's a great option if the employer won't help with the visa, and if they are happy to wait the 8-10 months for you to get PR via that route. What was your CRS score using the above link? Or this one, which tots it all up for you so might be slightly easier (you can assume max points for English for now to give you a rough idea) - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/crs-tool.asp

The simple answer is that you tell them that's how long it will take for you to do this on your own, and that if they want you there quicker, they have to help. That should do it.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's a great option if the employer won't help with the visa, and if they are happy to wait the 8-10 months for you to get PR via that route. What was your CRS score using the above link? Or this one, which tots it all up for you so might be slightly easier (you can assume max points for English for now to give you a rough idea) - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

The simple answer is that you tell them that's how long it will take for you to do this on your own, and that if they want you there quicker, they have to help. That should do it.
We scored 435 but that was assuming we would get minimum CLB9 on the language test and that my job offer falls into the 200 point criteria. I probably should do it again once I fully understand all the criteria.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

We scored 435 but that was assuming we would get minimum CLB9 on the language test and that my job offer falls into the 200 point criteria. I probably should do it again once I fully understand all the criteria.

You get 235 CRS points without an approved job offer?

How many FSW points do you have? (the first test above, will likely be around 50-70).
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

You get 235 CRS points without an approved job offer?

How many FSW points do you have? (the first test above, will likely be around 50-70).
235 was without the job offer, does that sound unrealistic? I think I understood all the questions, although I guessed what I would get with the language tests.

I will have to sit down and go through the criteria for both properly but doing the FSW I have scored 77 without a job offer and 88 with a job offer.

However i have skimmed through both and wouldn't be surprised if I have missed something.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

235 was without the job offer, does that sound unrealistic? I think I understood all the questions, although I guessed what I would get with the language tests.

I will have to sit down and go through the criteria for both properly but doing the FSW I have scored 77 without a job offer and 88 with a job offer.

However i have skimmed through both and wouldn't be surprised if I have missed something.
I'm not saying it's a certainty, I'm not in any position right now to run the algebra, but I'm not convinced those score ranges are even theoretically possible. If you're getting 77 FSW points, you should be much, much higher than 235 CRS points. If you're getting 235 CRS points, I don't see how you're getting 77 FSW points.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

235 is incredibly low, so I think you've miscalculated somewhere along the line. It also doesn't match up with 77 on the FSW score so one of those must be wrong.

The 200 points won't be applicable to you (from what you've said about the job on your other thread) as it's only for those in 00 occupations, but you also only get points for an approved job offer i.e. those with a LMIA or LMIA exempt. So you'd need to get the employer to go down the LMIA/TWP route to get any points for a job offer (which would be 50 points), if you're doing it alone and applying for PR under FSW/EE, then you won't get those extra points.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 31st 2017 at 9:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.