Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Activating IEC next year. Advice needed

Activating IEC next year. Advice needed

Old Oct 31st 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

1ns0uc1ant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activating IEC next year. Advice needed

Hi guys, quick question

I attained my IEC visa this year and had booked flights to Regina, SK via Toronto.

Is it possible to tell the border guards in Toronto that you're looking for work but will only activate the visa once you have a confirmed employment offer?

I wouldn't want to arrive and be forced to activate and worst-case scenario, spend months looking for jobs;using up valuable time.

I was in Calgary in June and got a visitors visa for 6 months without too much hassle, but I know how grueling the questions can be at Immigration.

Thanks and happy halloween!
Old Oct 31st 2014, 7:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating IEC next year. Advice needed

From what I've read on here, most people have been able to do that. They've said that they are coming on the IEC program, but don't want to activate the visa until they've landed a job. I'd say 9 out of 10 are successful, just based on what people have said on here. It comes down to the CBSA officer's discretion.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! fingers crossed the planets align on the day of my trip
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Those who do this make sure they have more than the $2500 amount of funds required by the IEC. The longer you stay as a visitor prior to activating the work permit the more money you need to satisfy an officer that you have sufficient funds to look after yourself. Don't expect to get 6 months as a visitor before activating the work permit unless you have lots of money above the $2500.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Those who do this make sure they have more than the $2500 amount of funds required by the IEC. The longer you stay as a visitor prior to activating the work permit the more money you need to satisfy an officer that you have sufficient funds to look after yourself. Don't expect to get 6 months as a visitor before activating the work permit unless you have lots of money above the $2500.
Thank you! That does put me at ease.

I've already saved above $2500, by the time I fly in January I'd have accrued enough to be comfortable for a few months whilst I jobhunt.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 3:44 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really smart idea... wish I'd thought of it all those years ago!
Old Nov 1st 2014, 4:13 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are but I found finding work pretty easy.

You will restricted with certain things like transferring your driving licence. You should still be able to open bank account though
Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Depends where you are but I found finding work pretty easy.

You will restricted with certain things like transferring your driving licence. You should still be able to open bank account though
I'm heading west, due to my education/work experience I'll be better off in Sask/Alberta/BC.
First thing I'll do is apply for my SIN, cell, then open a bank account.

I would like to drive though, what are my options regarding getting a licence/insurance?
Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Photoplex
This is a really smart idea... wish I'd thought of it all those years ago!
I only considered it since I've found it so difficult finding work in my industry.

So it's a precautionary measure. Also the IEC isn't extendable and I'd prefer to activate it once I have a full job offer and maximise my year.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 5:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1ns0uc1ant
I'm heading west, due to my education/work experience I'll be better off in Sask/Alberta/BC.
First thing I'll do is apply for my SIN, cell, then open a bank account.

I would like to drive though, what are my options regarding getting a licence/insurance?
In BC you can drive on UK licence for 90days. I transferred my licence straight away but driving is the one thing I miss but it's too expensive out here so I just use rentals, zipcar and cars2go.

I don't know about the other provinces. If you are happy yo just have a cafe/serving job for a month or two before you find work, there is plenty going here. I did that for a month before starting my new job