Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 weeks left on IEC visa, what options do I have?

2 weeks left on IEC visa, what options do I have?

Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:33 am
Just Joined

finnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 weeks left on IEC visa, what options do I have?

I've lurked here for a while without signing up, but now I finally need advice, and yes, I should've done it way sooner.

I've been in Toronto for almost 3 years, my IEC visa runs out in 2 weeks, and I'm looking for any way I can stay and work until I get PR. Currently my points total is nowhere near enough to get invited. My plan was OINP because I'm a shoo-in once my employer is able to do the pre-screen, but alas pre-screen has been closed since this time last year (lol).

The only other way I can see is through spousal sponsorship. I've been living with my girlfriend for 3 months, and we're willing to go to city hall and get a marriage certificate, but at this point with the timescales the way they are, is it too late? I'd have to get my application for the OWP in before my IEC visa runs out, which I'm assuming is impossible at this stage.

I stupidly thought the OINP thing would come through, and worst case, I'd apply for the bridging visa to buy myself a few months while that was processed (I know that's not kosher, but I know a couple of people who've done it to great effect). Anyway, seems pretty hopeless, but I figured I'd see if anyone out there had any advice. Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks left on IEC visa, what options do I have?

I don't know much about visas. But why would it be hopeless if you're ready to get married? Then she can sponsor you... or am I missing something?
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you getting married and being sponsored is going to be the only way
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finnn
I stupidly thought the OINP thing would come through, and worst case, I'd apply for the bridging visa to buy myself a few months while that was processed (I know that's not kosher, but I know a couple of people who've done it to great effect).
It's perfectly 'kosher'. Once you'd got to the first stage of an economic PR app, you could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit and would have had that until PR came through. Nothing dodgy about it at all, you'd have been perfectly eligible for that route.

If your employer is prepared to do the OINP app, then how about a LMIA and TWP? That would give you another couple of years and you could maybe apply via OINP or spousal sponsorship before the end of it, but at least it would mean you wouldn't have to rush in to getting married.

Or spousal sponsorship is an option, but you're then looking at at least 6 months before you could work again, whereas a LMIA/TWP should be quicker. Plus the LMIA would be cheaper and easier for your employer than a OINP app, so might be more appealing to them.

Neither option is going to mean you can keep working unfortunately, you've left it too late for that. So you will have to stop work once your IEC expires, switch to visitor status (can just do it online, or go to the nearest POE) and then stay as a visitor whilst you await PR, but at least you wouldn't have to leave. You don't have to submit your OWP application before your IEC expires, you can do it whilst on visitor status, that's no problem.

One last question, what is your CRS score?

And just to say, the OINP is open again, has been for a while. Sorry, I know that's not helpful now, but it does give you another option if you want to apply for PR now and not get married.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finnn
I've been in Toronto for almost 3 years, my IEC visa runs out in 2 weeks, and I'm looking for any way I can stay and work until I get PR. Currently my points total is nowhere near enough to get invited. My plan was OINP because I'm a shoo-in once my employer is able to do the pre-screen, but alas pre-screen has been closed since this time last year (lol).
At this point, I don't think there's any way you can stay and work until you get PR. Whatever route you wind up applying for will have processing times, so you will have to stop working while you wait for something to happen. You may well be able to work at a time between now and getting PR, but you have set yourself up for a multi-week, more likely multi-month vacation.

The only other way I can see is through spousal sponsorship. I've been living with my girlfriend for 3 months, and we're willing to go to city hall and get a marriage certificate, but at this point with the timescales the way they are, is it too late? I'd have to get my application for the OWP in before my IEC visa runs out, which I'm assuming is impossible at this stage.
No you wouldn't, that's a perfectly fine route. Get married if you're both ready. File an inland app with an OWP app and you can work once the OWP arrives. Or file an outland app, and there's a reasonable chance the entire PR status will come through in the same time as the OWP would. With a risk that it might take a year.

I stupidly thought the OINP thing would come through, and worst case, I'd apply for the bridging visa to buy myself a few months while that was processed (I know that's not kosher, but I know a couple of people who've done it to great effect). Anyway, seems pretty hopeless, but I figured I'd see if anyone out there had any advice. Thanks
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's perfectly 'kosher'. Once you'd got to the first stage of an economic PR app, you could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit and would have had that until PR came through. Nothing dodgy about it at all, you'd have been perfectly eligible for that route.
I get the feeling OP's 'not kosher' remark refers to working illegally on implied visitor status after an IEC permit has expired, and before a new work permit exists.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I get the feeling OP's 'not kosher' remark refers to working illegally on implied visitor status after an IEC permit has expired, and before a new work permit exists.
Ah, possibly. By 'bridging visa' I'd assumed he was talking about a Bridging Open Work Permit which would have been the best way to go and perfectly valid.

Implied status, not so much! If the OP wants to stay in Canada long term or possibly even forever, then working illegally definitely isn't the way to go.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What I actually mean is applying for a bridging visa on the back of being in the "pool", but knowing I'm not going to be invited to apply any time soon. I know a couple of people who've done it, and it's bought them enough time to get their PR invite through. I also spoke to a friend of mine who's an immigration lawyer in Toronto, and he said that whilst he can't advise it, plenty of people do it. It might buy me a few months and I'd have implied status during that time. I know there's a lot of misinformation about implied status on IEC, but when I went to the border to renew mine 2 years ago, the officer at the border explicitly told me that I had implied status (even though I was actually arguing with her, telling her I'd read differently), and even printed a page that said as much, put a highlighter through the relevant section and handed it to me. She might be wrong, but that's the information I was given.

If your employer is prepared to do the OINP app, then how about a LMIA and TWP? That would give you another couple of years and you could maybe apply via OINP or spousal sponsorship before the end of it, but at least it would mean you wouldn't have to rush in to getting married.
I was under the impression that LMIA would take a lot longer due to my employer having to advertise my job, and show that they couldn't find a suitable Canadian. Do you know the timeline on an LMIA?

Or spousal sponsorship is an option, but you're then looking at at least 6 months before you could work again
So that's the timeframe for an OWP application? Are there rules against applying under 2 streams at the same time? Let's say I went ahead and applied for a bridging visa, with the assumption that I'd be invited to apply any day now (I won't, but in theory), could I still apply for a OWP via spousal during that time?

You don't have to submit your OWP application before your IEC expires, you can do it whilst on visitor status, that's no problem.
Good to know!

One last question, what is your CRS score?
~330. If only I'd gone to university

And just to say, the OINP is open again, has been for a while. Sorry, I know that's not helpful now, but it does give you another option if you want to apply for PR now and not get married.
Certain streams are open, but I've literally been checking the website daily since about last September and haven't seen anything to suggest the employer pre-screen/skilled worker stream is open yet. Last time I emailed them they gave me a standard reply about hoping to have all streams open soon.

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Get married if you're both ready. File an inland app with an OWP app and you can work once the OWP arrives. Or file an outland app, and there's a reasonable chance the entire PR status will come through in the same time as the OWP would. With a risk that it might take a year.
Is there anywhere online that shows what current OWP processing times are? Couldn't find anything specific on the cic site.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

For a OWP submitted with an inland spouse app, about 4 months (give or take).

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 23rd 2017 at 10:35 pm.