Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

**** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

**** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:37 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: **** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

Originally Posted by immigrants
Should I ask you, which section included passing mark?
That mean can CIC required pre-February 27 2008 applicants need to
fulfil the new passing mark?
Pass mark is not part of any section of IRPA or Regulations. Law gave Minister the power to change pass mark as needed, without asking for any approvals.

If pass mark changes then it will apply retroactively to all still pending applications as per section R77 of current Regulations - just as it was applied retroactively already in 2003 when pass mark was changed from 75 to 67 points, producing flood of applications and the backlog we have now.

This is why I clearly stated in my comments to discussed amendments - if R77 is not changed, amended or repelled then pre-Feb 27 applicants have a lot to worry about.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Pass mark is not part of any section of IRPA or Regulations. Law gave Minister the power to change pass mark as needed, without asking for any approvals.

If pass mark changes then it will apply retroactively to all still pending applications as per section R77 of current Regulations - just as it was applied retroactively already in 2003 when pass mark was changed from 75 to 67 points, producing flood of applications and the backlog we have now.

This is why I clearly stated in my comments to discussed amendments - if R77 is not changed, amended or repelled then pre-Feb 27 applicants have a lot to worry about.
Yes, you have mention it several times and thanks for remind

But my most concern is, do CIC or Diane Finley has been raised out
they may be rising the passing mark and retroactively to all existing applicants?
Or any approach they want to clear the backlog and affect existing applicants?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unfortunately, the "PR immediately" option is becoming increasingly unavailable for Canada bound migrants.

Unless you meet Quebec's criteria, or one of the PNPs that does not require job offer (maybe Nova Scotia?) - and you're willing to live in that province - it is now effectively impossible to plan to migrate to Canada on a skill basis with PR immediately.

In this respect, Canada has now become like the United States. The difference is that there are still fewer formalities involved in going to Canada (for example, British citizens do need a work permit but don't need a visa stamp in passport) and the pathway to permanent residence for those working in Canada is not as difficult as the way to a Green Card in the U.S.

If the risks and costs of being temporary are still not for you then you need to look elsewhere. Australia and New Zealand are options, or maybe somewhere else in Europe if you are willing to learn a new language.

I can go and live anywhere I like in Europe anytime, that's the bonus of being a British Citizen, and I will certainly not give up after 26 months of waiting, I am rather hoping to get a 90 day letter soon as applicants from Dec 05 are receiving theirs ( I'm Jan06 ), and will worry about a points change or the like if and when it happens.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Nowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura aboutNowhere has a spectacular aura about

Will this affect those working under the Live in Caregiver programme who apply for PR after 2 years??
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:02 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

If one has a pre-Feb 27th Simplified application in the queue and then got AE, would they be subject to following the old process (i.e. a full application of the old style) or have to follow whatever the new process may be?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

kalim71 is an unknown quantity at this point

- if R77 is not changed, amended or repelled then pre-Feb 27 applicants have a lot to worry about.
How will it affect the temporary students/workers already in canada and have applied to Buffalo??
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by immigrants
But my most concern is, do CIC or Diane Finley has been raised out
they may be rising the passing mark and retroactively to all existing applicants?
Or any approach they want to clear the backlog and affect existing applicants?
If pass mark changes it cannot be applied selectively to just one group - it has to be applied to all applicants, regardless when they submitted their cases.

I can't see any other approach for clearing the backlog - if annual visa quotas would be raised immediately by 20% (instead over next 5 years) it won't make any substantial difference in the backlog exceeding the size of 8 years of visa quotas already.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Nowhere
Will this affect those working under the Live in Caregiver programme who apply for PR after 2 years??
I can't see why it would.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by G77
If one has a pre-Feb 27th Simplified application in the queue and then got AE, would they be subject to following the old process (i.e. a full application of the old style) or have to follow whatever the new process may be?
Likely old.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by kalim71
How will it affect the temporary students/workers already in canada and have applied to Buffalo??
Without further details that will come later in Instructions and likely amended Regulations it is impossible to predict full impact. But I can't see why the group you are asking about would be treated any differently from let's say work permit holders in Canada who applied through London, Berlin or Sao Paulo.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:00 am
Just Joined

sorry about that, i mean those already as temorary residents in canada no matter where they have applied to. I thought most of them they usually apply at buffalo. Just wondering if they would be better processed than those not in canada
Without further details that will come later in Instructions and likely amended Regulations it is impossible to predict full impact. But I can't see why the group you are asking about would be treated any differently from let's say work permit holders in Canada who applied through London, Berlin or Sao Paulo.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:42 am

Nobody knows yet what will really happen. But some visa posts under current rules process applications with arranged employment from applicants not yet in Canada little faster than from those who are already safely living and working in Canada and there is no urgency anymore to bring them here.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mr. Miller for that, appreciated
Fingers crossed and hope for the best for students like us already in canada
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

jennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nicejennybroon is just really nice
Unhappy Re: **** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

Hello everyone,

Can someone please enlighten me? I'm wondering what this will mean for our spousal application case (which they should have received on the 6th of March)? I've read the article on the CIC website and it talks a lot about how Canada needs skilled workers who are well educated.

I'm stressing out now... does this mean that our application won't be processed as soon as it would have if we had applied a few weeks earlier?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by jennybroon
Hello everyone,

Can someone please enlighten me? I'm wondering what this will mean for our spousal application case (which they should have received on the 6th of March)? I've read the article on the CIC website and it talks a lot about how Canada needs skilled workers who are well educated.

I'm stressing out now... does this mean that our application won't be processed as soon as it would have if we had applied a few weeks earlier?
Absolutely nothing. Relax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.