Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Victoriabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Thank you for your quick reply

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Do you have sponsor approval yet? If not they may have just transferred it to Ottawa for Stage 1 processing - this happened with my application back in 2012. (They didn't inform me it had been transferred, but when I got the email with sponsor approval it came from CPP-Ottawa.)
Yes, my sponsor was approved on 10th June?

IMM5409 isn't required if it's just a Canadian sponsoring their partner, it's only required if two people are co-sponsoring a third person. Is it just the two of you on the application?
It is just the two of us on the application….

You will need a police check for Australia if you lived there for over 6 months. Doesn't matter if it was 10 years ago. If you were there for over 6 months then you need a police check.
Yes this was an oversight, I have now applied.

Proof of moving back to Canada - I think all you can do there is write another letter explaining your plans, and provide some other proof of your plans for when you move. DO you have family you will be staying with? Have you researched places to live? Where might you work? Are you going to rent or buy? All you can really do is just a best effort for proof of your intention to return to Canada.
We provided evidence of my sponsors job searches, awareness of how to apply for he professional registrations and a letter from my sponsors Canadian family member stating that we could live with them upon arrival.

It all seems a bit odd?

Last edited by Victoriabound; Jul 23rd 2014 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute

EVerything together... there's a question in the applicant's forms that asks which office you want to process your application. Make sure you have all the forms...
Thanks, yes I remember now stupidity on my part.

Another silly question my marital status is common law as that's what I am applying for on the generic application form to come to Canada do I have to add my Canadian citizen partner as an dependant as we are now in a common law relationship, seems pretty weird.

Thanks as always.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

rd1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

The advertised time is currently 55 days, and that's 55 working days, not calendar days (even though the spreadsheet uses calendar days - it's easier to do statistical calculations that way). CIC's website currently says they are working on applications received 16 May, which is before yours. The three people before you who don't have sponsor approval in yet all had incomplete applications (look at the Notes column), and no one after you has received SA yet... so I'd say you're pretty much right on schedule.

If you want a "schedule" for when to worry or when to get in touch with them, keep an eye on CIC's published timeline website - Processing Times: Family Sponsorship . Once "working on applications received x" changes to AFTER your application date, send them an email. (If it's *on* your date then sit tight until it becomes *after* your date.)
Thank you for the explanation and putting my mind at rest. Have you ever thought of becoming a statistician? Lol!
I'm not sure if the spreadsheet is good or bad for my nerves. I just saw one applicant received Stage 1 on the 23rd and their app was received the same time as ours! My OH has been checking his email constantly. Anxious to say the least, we fly out Monday and was kinda hoping stage 1 would be done. Oh well! I have the print out of the fee receipt and the UPS tracking receipt plus our app and all my supporting documents that are either original or copies to show so we should be fine.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rd1981
Thank you for the explanation and putting my mind at rest. Have you ever thought of becoming a statistician? Lol!
I'm not sure if the spreadsheet is good or bad for my nerves. I just saw one applicant received Stage 1 on the 23rd and their app was received the same time as ours! My OH has been checking his email constantly. Anxious to say the least, we fly out Monday and was kinda hoping stage 1 would be done. Oh well! I have the print out of the fee receipt and the UPS tracking receipt plus our app and all my supporting documents that are either original or copies to show so we should be fine.
Happy to help. I like trusting the math behind it - at least for "standard" applications. Of course everyone's application is different, every processing agent is different, etc... but generally speaking the pattern holds.

The other person who applied on the same day as you only got SA *yesterday*... the three people before you who haven't heard yet all had incomplete applications, and no one after you has received SA yet, so I'd guess you are going to hear any day now.

It sounds like you have everything you need otherwise, though - you can also say that you applied two months ago and according to the CIC website you should be hearing any day now... but your actual evidence (receipt, UPS, etc) should be enough.

Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

itiswhatitis is an unknown quantity at this point

Received an email this morning from London that they have received our new passport photos. They only requested that we send an additional 2. Looking at the spreadsheet, it seems we were not the only ones who had this request. I wonder why? In any case... hoping that we see a "Decision Made" soon! Have a great weekend everyone!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Ashpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond repute

Sent in my husband's application to switch to visitor status today.
Fingers crossed everything's good, and we get Sponsor Approval while we wait!
So nerve-wracking...
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:36 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashpo
Sent in my husband's application to switch to visitor status today.
Fingers crossed everything's good, and we get Sponsor Approval while we wait!
So nerve-wracking...
Take a deep breath and relax. Approval is 99 44/100s per cent assured. He will get the visitor extension and PR.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

My OH received an email yesterday asking for his Canadian correspondence address and telephone number as his intent to return date on form IMM5406 stated he would be in Canada by now. His work wouldn't release him until now to start his new job so this has delayed us. He will reply stating that he (we) are returning this week and will attach the booked flight tickets as proof with confirmation of his Canadian address and telephone number. The moral of the story is don't underestimate the intent to return date! The good news is that a) Our app has been looked at and b) we now have an app number and UCI.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ashpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond reputeAshpo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Take a deep breath and relax. Approval is 99 44/100s per cent assured. He will get the visitor extension and PR.
Thanks, Jim! That's very comforting
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rd1981
My OH received an email yesterday asking for his Canadian correspondence address and telephone number as his intent to return date on form IMM5406 stated he would be in Canada by now. His work wouldn't release him until now to start his new job so this has delayed us. He will reply stating that he (we) are returning this week and will attach the booked flight tickets as proof with confirmation of his Canadian address and telephone number. The moral of the story is don't underestimate the intent to return date! The good news is that a) Our app has been looked at and b) we now have an app number and UCI.
IMM 5540 not 5406 sorry. Is there such a form? Lol!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Victoriabound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Can anyone offer me any advice as to what I should do?
I received an email advising that 'Your file has been transferred to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa for further review' My Sponsor has already received her sponsor approval and so I believed that my application would have been passed to London?

We have been asked for - Stat Dec of Common-Law IMM5409, I understand this is only required if the common law partner is co-signing a sponsorship application? (And I thought in order to approve my sponsor all documentation had been confirmed as present?)

Where should I be contacting to check these points? I had assumed at this stage my application was in London but as it seems to be in Ottowa should I be sending a case specific enquiry to there? Or should I write to the email address in the correspondence from CIC to which I was instructed to send the documents?

I'm finding the whole waiting process very stressful and this confusion is making me even more worried…..
thanks in advance for any help
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

in the bay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just to update I received my COPR on Friday exactly one week after my status on ecas changed to decision made. It came via recorded post that I signed for.

I'm really pleased it came so quick as this now means I don't have to ask for my visitor status to be extended. I must admit I expected something more exciting looking than a printed piece of paper (for some reason I'd imagined a fancy looking certificate with some kind of counter foil!!!!).

We live in Vancouver so we are planning on crossing the border tomorrow to do a bit of shopping then come back and I can officially 'land'. Has anyone got any tips for this process? I'm not looking forward to the grilling which is inevitable from US border officers and the fact they may decline us entry to do the shopping we have planned and turn us right around at the border. I am planning to be completely upfront with our intentions when they ask the reason for entering the country.

I believe I have to take my COPR, passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. I will also take my bc health care card showing my current canadian address. I don't have a bank account at the moment as it's just in my husbands name so will take a screenshot of his bank statement showing what funds we have. Can anyone else think of anything else that I should be taking along? Thanks so much!!!
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:16 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There's a wiki article on landing, make sure you read that! that's what we used. (On my phone else I'd link it myself but go find it!)
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in the bay
Hi just to update I received my COPR on Friday exactly one week after my status on ecas changed to decision made. It came via recorded post that I signed for.

I'm really pleased it came so quick as this now means I don't have to ask for my visitor status to be extended. I must admit I expected something more exciting looking than a printed piece of paper (for some reason I'd imagined a fancy looking certificate with some kind of counter foil!!!!).

We live in Vancouver so we are planning on crossing the border tomorrow to do a bit of shopping then come back and I can officially 'land'. Has anyone got any tips for this process? I'm not looking forward to the grilling which is inevitable from US border officers and the fact they may decline us entry to do the shopping we have planned and turn us right around at the border. I am planning to be completely upfront with our intentions when they ask the reason for entering the country.

I believe I have to take my COPR, passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate. I will also take my bc health care card showing my current canadian address. I don't have a bank account at the moment as it's just in my husbands name so will take a screenshot of his bank statement showing what funds we have. Can anyone else think of anything else that I should be taking along? Thanks so much!!!
Per Schnookololly's advice = Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Don't forget your goods accompanying / goods to follow lists!

Make sure your husband has ID on him as well.

Congrats!

Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

in the bay is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes the goods accompanying/goods to follow-forgot that one on the list!

What do I do about the things like my clothes that came with me as a visitor? Am I expected to take them to the border with me to declare them as goods accompanying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.