Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship application sent to Buffalo instead of London HELP!

Spousal Sponsorship application sent to Buffalo instead of London HELP!

Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spousal Sponsorship application sent to Buffalo instead of London by CIC HELP!

so I just got off the phone with the CIC who gave me the good news that my spousal sponsorship common-law application was approved last week after nearly 85 days.. then she said it has been forwarded to BUFFALO!!!!! what the hell? I said how could this of happened when I clearly wrote on the form LONDON (i just double checked the saved form and it does say london) and she said she had no idea and I should send a letter and she knew nothing else.

How could this of happened and what do I have to do to get it corrected, my IEC expires on July 29th and I was pretty sure everything would be done by then and I would have my COPR. Now I guess this is going to add some hefty time to it.. who do i send a letter to, how do I know its going to get transferred etc etc? NIGHTMARE

Last edited by exenglishman; Apr 10th 2012 at 4:42 pm. Reason: adding something
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship application sent to Buffalo instead of London HELP!

no help or ideas???
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship application sent to Buffalo instead of London HELP!

If you are in Canada already I would guess that they thought Buffalo would be appropriate. You can email them and request the file be sent to London. The address is on the Buffalo website.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you currently in Canada?

Like you I requested London however the application went to Buffalo, was worried at first but after some investigations found it was normal in my case as I had been living in Canada for over 3 years on a temp work visa. As it turned out I received my passport request email within 39 days of the decision made letter, somewhat quicker than others who made their application through London at the approximate same time as me.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you are in Canada already I would guess that they thought Buffalo would be appropriate. You can email them and request the file be sent to London. The address is on the Buffalo website.
I just got off the phone with CIC and was lucky enough to speak to someone who was helpful. I live in Alberta; she said I could send it to Buffalo or even Seattle. She PRESUMED that I would want to send it to the closest office in case they called for interview (which otherwise would mean flying to London). However I told her i was only interested in what was QUICKEST. She came back and told me to send it to London. I'm just surprised they don't know that already or offer it as a suggestion. My point is if you don't know the information through prior investigation, then they do not automatically volunteer the best answer for you. What if you don't speak or read good English...?

Anyway I've been told it goes to Mississauga for first stage approval and then London for processing following that.

Originally Posted by MadeInDorset
Are you currently in Canada?

Like you I requested London however the application went to Buffalo, was worried at first but after some investigations found it was normal in my case as I had been living in Canada for over 3 years on a temp work visa. As it turned out I received my passport request email within 39 days of the decision made letter, somewhat quicker than others who made their application through London at the approximate same time as me.
I too have been here for a while...3.5 years...i wonder if i will have the same experience as yourself.

Cheers

Last edited by stuabroad; Apr 12th 2012 at 10:07 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

MadeInDorset is an unknown quantity at this point

68 days from application being received at Mississauga to getting passport request email.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadeInDorset
68 days from application being received at Mississauga to getting passport request email.
I guess that was back in 2010...I wonder if living here means you get a quicker turnaround...or if you were just lucky when you submitted due to case processing volumes at that time.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stuabroad
I guess that was back in 2010...I wonder if living here means you get a quicker turnaround...or if you were just lucky when you submitted due to case processing volumes at that time.
hmmm interesting. I think the turnaround times have drastically increased since 2010, so it seems from looking at various timelines anyway. Thanks for your and the other persons response though, its re-assuring to know it has happened before and sorted quickly - hope this happens for me. Living here doesn't decrease the waiting time, its the same time for if you were in Canada or the UK. Lots of people on here have done this app and are currently living in Canada, all were sent of sucessfully to London - just seems like my bad luck.

The issue I have with it is that my current visa (work permit) expires at the end of July and all being well (based on current timelines) I should of received PR by then, with this fork in the road its probably not going to happen. Another issue is my medical results would of been sent to London as you have to request a VO for those too at the time of doing it, so they would have a hard time matching it up.. more wasted time.

I dont like that they picked what they figured was 'best for me' - whats the point in having the VO question on the app form if the visa officier is going to do what he figures is best anyway, makes no sense at all has made the past few days very stressful indeed.

I have fired off emails to all the necessary VO involved (Mississauga, buffalo & London) and my sponsor called the CIC who confirmed they will tell Buffalo to forward the app to London as soon as it arrives there.. have no idea how long this will take though, i'm guessing weeks as opposed to days? They said to phone back in a month - not very re-assuring for something thats time sensitive. Was thinking of going extreme and contacting my local MP, will probably wait for a few weeks and see if anything develops before going this route. The waiting itself is terrible, add in this and its just a cocktail of a nightmare!!

Last edited by exenglishman; Apr 13th 2012 at 3:16 am.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
hmmm interesting. I think the turnaround times have drastically increased since 2010, so it seems from looking at various timelines anyway. Thanks for your and the other persons response though, its re-assuring to know it has happened before and sorted quickly - hope this happens for me. Living here doesn't decrease the waiting time, its the same time for if you were in Canada or the UK. Lots of people on here have done this app and are currently living in Canada, all were sent of sucessfully to London - just seems like my bad luck.

The issue I have with it is that my current visa (work permit) expires at the end of July and all being well (based on current timelines) I should of received PR by then, with this fork in the road its probably not going to happen. Another issue is my medical results would of been sent to London as you have to request a VO for those too at the time of doing it, so they would have a hard time matching it up.. more wasted time.

I dont like that they picked what they figured was 'best for me' - whats the point in having the VO question on the app form if the visa officier is going to do what he figures is best anyway, makes no sense at all has made the past few days very stressful indeed.

I have fired off emails to all the necessary VO involved (Mississauga, buffalo & London) and my sponsor called the CIC who confirmed they will tell Buffalo to forward the app to London as soon as it arrives there.. have no idea how long this will take though, i'm guessing weeks as opposed to days? They said to phone back in a month - not very re-assuring for something thats time sensitive. Was thinking of going extreme and contacting my local MP, will probably wait for a few weeks and see if anything develops before going this route. The waiting itself is terrible, add in this and its just a cocktail of a nightmare!!
Do it, get your MP involved, that's what you pay them for. If you look at the threads i've started on here, there's a very long and painful thread which describes how my employer driven AINP sponsorship for PR got messed up (by employer) leaving me still with no PR to present day. We got our local MLA involved who was also Immigration Minister at the time (Thomas Lukazak). When my employer and I met with him, he said that they get 20000+ applications to Alberta every year and that if you deviate one iota, you're screwed.

In that case my employer didn't return the paperwork...it is VERY stressful only being able to work on a work permit still...but in your case you may have more ammunition.

Paperwork is just paperwork, it can be sped along i do not doubt. At least you'll feel better by doing something. Others on here will no doubt disagree, but the system should be questioned otherwise it takes control instead of the other way round.

Best of luck.