Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsored Spouses & Funds? ... Before PR

Sponsored Spouses & Funds? ... Before PR

Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:55 pm
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice
Default Sponsored Spouses & Funds? ... Before PR

I've been reading recently about sponsored spouses being denied entry because the Immigration Officer did not think they had enough funds to support themselves while waiting for their PR.

I am due to fly with my Canadian Wife (of 5 years) and my Canadian stepkids, on the 18th, I am currently in week 19 of my "Outside Canada Spousal Application" with CHC-London (A process which is supposed to take only 24 weeks.

We have copies of all our correspondence with CHC-L & CIC-M, as well as a photocopy of our entire app & supporting docs. I am flying with a one way ticket & I will only have $2000 Canadian on me + a couple of credit cards.

Any experts care to let me know if they think I am going to have a problem with funds or the ticket situation.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsored Spouses & Funds? ... Before PR

Originally Posted by TFI
I am flying with a one way ticket & I will only have $2000 Canadian on me + a couple of credit cards.

Any experts care to let me know if they think I am going to have a problem with funds or the ticket situation.

Are you sure the airline is not going to have a problem with you flying on a one-way? Some airlines are ok with this, others are not.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:27 pm
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you sure the airline is not going to have a problem with you flying on a one-way? Some airlines are ok with this, others are not.
Yes Zoom Airlines just confirmed over the phone that this is standard practice and they have no problems boarding a British/Irish citizen with a one way ticket.

Any thoughts on how immigration will view the situation and if they will want to see funds?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFI
Yes Zoom Airlines just confirmed over the phone that this is standard practice and they have no problems boarding a British/Irish citizen with a one way ticket.

Any thoughts on how immigration will view the situation and if they will want to see funds?
It really all depends on the officer at the border, some dont give a crap, others have natzi syndrome and will drill you. its luck of the draw im afraid.

I hope your PPR gets to you soon
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:21 am
TFI
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
It really all depends on the officer at the border, some dont give a crap, others have natzi syndrome and will drill you. its luck of the draw im afraid.

I hope your PPR gets to you soon
Thanks, BV21 I was kinda thinking, I could just show up with my one-way, explain my situation & if they really don't want to let me enter without one, I could just offer to go to one of the flight desks and buy one right then and there.

Some people have told me there is no requirement for me to show funds as I am a sponsored spouse, but is that still the fact since I have not yet got my PR?
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFI
Thanks, BV21 I was kinda thinking, I could just show up with my one-way, explain my situation & if they really don't want to let me enter without one, I could just offer to go to one of the flight desks and buy one right then and there.

Some people have told me there is no requirement for me to show funds as I am a sponsored spouse, but is that still the fact since I have not yet got my PR?

I personally would buy a return ticket, thats going to ease there mind a little bit at least, the more things they have to question you about the less likely you are to get in.
when i was here before i got PR i always bought a return (even though i never used it) as i say it very much depends on the IO you get at the border. I had a lady when i was landing who was like a little hitler who judged me for not being married!!! if someone peed in there coffee that morning youv had it.
All you can do is smile nicely be polite and hope for the best. (shame your not a girl, i always picked the guy and showed a bit of cleavage)

As for the money when i came once i didnt have a dime and i just said that we had it in bank accounts and didnt think wed have to show it to them, act dumb. LOL
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFI
I am due to fly with my Canadian Wife (of 5 years) and my Canadian stepkids, on the 18th,
Is your Canadian wife also a British citizen? If not, and assuming she'slived in Britain for 3+ years, has she thought about whether she would like to obtain this for herself + the children (she needs to act quickly if so).

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 9th 2006 at 1:35 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:12 pm
TFI
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is your Canadian wife also a British citizen? If not, and assuming she'slived in Britain for 3+ years, has she thought about whether she would like to obtain this for herself + the children (she needs to act quickly if so).

She has not been here long enough for British citizenship, she did however get her Irish while she was here.

and BV21, Perhaps I can show off my butt cleavage and they will let me pass just to get me out of eye range.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Avery will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TFI

Hey TFI i rang the actual airport authority and spoke to the head of the immigration officers there and asked about a one way ticket he said that if you couldnt satisfy an officer it is possible for you to purchase a return ticket to satisfy them there at the airport. He also said that this happens every day many times a day and isnt a problem. I noticed your flying in Toronto whereas i am flying into Calgary; i did a quick search i believe this might be some help to you http://www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?Sid=N...ode2.7.1&Tpl=1

With contact numbers, the Calgary site is a lil different setup. You could also do a search on the Border Services site too.

I got lucky and got put thru to the right department, and just bear in mind its up to the discretion of the officer you see, you can only be armed to the teeth with as much info and supporting documents as poss to put them off all the awkward questions =)

Last edited by Avery; Sep 9th 2006 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:10 am
TFI
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help, I got a return ticket for Jan, I'm packing up the PC tonight, flying out on Monday, so if you don't hear from me during next week, it means I got through ok. :scared:
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Avery will become famous soon enough

good luck m8 i wish you well, and try to have a good flight, 2 weeks till i fly out. take care!