International Experience Canada

Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by BritishExpatriate
The cost of the service doesn't change just because those who use the service are the ones paying for it and not the Canadian tax payer. That just means that those who use the service are paying for it and not the Canadian taxpayer!
I don't think the Canadian taxpayer should have to pay for it! Doesn't mean I don't consider the charge to be a bit excessive. (Which I do!) Thankyou
Have you looked at the costs of visas for the UK?

PGWP £ 483
ICT £ 400
IEC £ 194
TWP £ 270
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

flo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to allflo-bee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cumbrian7
Hello, this is my first post here but seen as you are in a similar position to me and I know how frustrating it can be to not have an answer i thought i'd create an account quickly. As you spent over 6 months in the US according to the guidelines you do need to get an FBI record check (this may change this year but I doubt it). Here is the link on how to obtain the FBI check: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/bac...est-to-the-fbi . I applied for mine in September/October 2012 and it took 6 weeks to come. Although as they are only valid for 3 months from issue i've actually found myself applying for one again tomorrow. The most difficult part is finding someone to do the fingerprints, I used a private service in Scotland but your local police station/force should be able to do it for you/point you in the right direction, it costs around £70 from what i've seen. Make sure to send it recorded delivery so you know it arrives. Also yes you will need a UK police check from the ACPO you can rush these through in a couple of days though: http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx . Hope this helps if you have any questions you can message me (i think,).
Another question about the police reports (sorry I would have sent a private message but I haven't made enough posts).
Should I use the FBI fingerprint form and take it to a police station in the UK? Or will they use their own? Looking at the FBI form it looks very confusing and I'm worried the UK police officer might not fill it in correctly. Anyone else lived in the USA previously and had difficulty receiving the police report?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

PGWP £ 483
ICT £ 400
IEC £ 194
TWP £ 270
So basically Canadians are getting hosed if wanting to go to the UK then
And they have the cheek to criticize our fees.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

PGWP £ 483
ICT £ 400
IEC £ 194
TWP £ 270
These types of visas are distinguishable in that somebody applying for one is not in the destination country yet and therefore full criminal and medical, etc. checks need to take place.
On the other hand, someone who's merely extending their stay has obviously already been cleared otherwise they'd not be in Canada!

Though just because the UK is overcharging doesn't make it right for other governments to do it either.

I agree with you though- those UK visa charges you've quoted look excessive as well!!!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

These types of visas are distinguishable in that somebody applying for one is not in the destination country yet and therefore full criminal and medical, etc. checks need to take place.
On the other hand, someone who's merely extending their stay has obviously already been cleared otherwise they'd not be in Canada!

Though just because the UK is overcharging doesn't make it right for other governments to do it either.

I agree with you though- those UK visa charges you've quoted look excessive as well!!!
Just because a person has been previously cleared and provided a Police Certificate or not doesnt mean they are not inadmissible. They could be facing charges for a DUI in the States or went home to the UK and did the same after they submitted or were initially cleared. They may have very little money and therefore become financially inadmissible.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Cumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant futureCumbrian7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by flo-bee
Another question about the police reports (sorry I would have sent a private message but I haven't made enough posts).
Should I use the FBI fingerprint form and take it to a police station in the UK? Or will they use their own? Looking at the FBI form it looks very confusing and I'm worried the UK police officer might not fill it in correctly. Anyone else lived in the USA previously and had difficulty receiving the police report?
I would take the FBI form in, its not that complicated really and the FBI will be more comfortable dealing with it, here is the guide on what goes in each box: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/103665.pdf . The guy i used was able to guess pretty easily what was required in each one, i guess police forces all use a similar form. The most complicated part for me was figuring out how much i weighed in old money (lb's). The whole process literally took 5 minutes.
I definitely wouldn't just walk into a police station and ask them to do it, call their enquiries number/email them and ask for the contact details of their fingerprinting technicians (if you can't find these by just googling it), with Cumbria Police I emailed the generic enquiries@.... email and the response i got was from a fingerprinting tech.
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond reputeBritishExpatriate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think paying $10 for a block of cheese is excessive but thats neither here or there.
Difference being that the example above, like the vast majority of things we pay for in life, is subject to the free market economy allowing for the price to be driven down through competition. Whereas you may pay more for your cheese you'll pay less for other things such as electronic goods because of proximity to the USA...
Whereas when it comes to setting prices for visas, from a business perspective the government had an effective 100% monopoly and therefore customers are at their mercy in replying on them to charge a true reflection of the cost to their agency.

Just because a person has been previously cleared and provided a Police Certificate or not doesnt mean they are not inadmissible. They could be facing charges for a DUI in the States or went home to the UK and did the same after they submitted or were initially cleared. They may have very little money and therefore become financially inadmissible.
Canada is due to implement the new "Electronic Travel Authorisation" by 2015 on all visa exempt tourists entering the country and similarly to America's ESTA, those tourists will pay fee to cover the running of the system.

However, at the moment this service is free. (Entering Canada as a tourist from a visa exempt country) Therefore, is it not discriminatory to charge prospective Canadian tourists already in the country for a service that other tourists entering the country get for free?

I honestly do think they should pay a small fee, I think that is fair. I think it's questionable whether the Canadian state is making a profit from it though.
One thing's for sure though and that's that all fees, whether fair or not, should always be subject to criticism in order to ensure accountability. Like PMM mentioned, some visa prices recently came down, and without criticism from people like me you have to question whether that would have happened!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Difference being that the example above, like the vast majority of things we pay for in life, is subject to the free market economy allowing for the price to be driven down through competition. Whereas you may pay more for your cheese you'll pay less for other things such as electronic goods because of proximity to the USA...
Whereas when it comes to setting prices for visas, from a business perspective the government had an effective 100% monopoly and therefore customers are at their mercy in replying on them to charge a true reflection of the cost to their agency.

Canada is due to implement the new "Electronic Travel Authorisation" by 2015 on all visa exempt tourists entering the country and similarly to America's ESTA, those tourists will pay fee to cover the running of the system.

However, at the moment this service is free. (Entering Canada as a tourist from a visa exempt country) Therefore, is it not discriminatory to charge prospective Canadian tourists already in the country for a service that other tourists entering the country get for free?

I honestly do think they should pay a small fee, I think that is fair. I think it's questionable whether the Canadian state is making a profit from it though.
One thing's for sure though and that's that all fees, whether fair or not, should always be subject to criticism in order to ensure accountability. Like PMM mentioned, some visa prices recently came down, and without criticism from people like me you have to question whether that would have happened!
Actually I mentioned fees had come down
Im not in total disagreement with you. What is the average shop hourly rate for fixing your vehicle ($75 +) but does it actually cost that?
Try calling a plumber at 2am in the morning and see what you get charged.
Its a fee at the end of the day and you either pay it or you dont regardless if you believe the fee to be appropriate. Hell lets not even discuss a top lawyers fees to get you off a murder charge
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScarySquirrel
It really varies, as you'd expect.

We're paying about £450 for our place, which is a bit of an odd one to explain. It's a private room in a house, but it's actually got it's own private entrance, en-suite bathroom and a little kitchenette area (fridge, microwave, utensils, etc. Just no oven). So it would work out at £450 each if we stayed there for a month, which is quite expensive really. We pay £775 in total for a part-furnished 1 bed flat in the UK now, in a fairly affluent area.

We did see lots of places for less though, and arguably alot nicer as they were full apartments. However it was really difficult finding someone that would let us have it for 2-4 weeks, as a lot of the people listing there live at the apartment normally, but put it up for the odd week or two here and there as and when they go away.

I have no idea if I'm making sense or not! Sorry
Nono thanks ScarySquirrel, you're making plenty of sense! £450 I think sounds about what I would expect in Canada for a 1 bed. I'm not sure though... Apparently in Montreal you pay 1/3 less than in London or Toronto. But then I'm not sure what London prices are like relative to renting in Toronto if anyone knows???

But what seems clear is that rent prices in Canada appear considerably cheaper than in the UK. (Perhaps I'm a bit biased coming from London?)

I guess then it just depends on the relative salary levels- That's what worries me a little: On the one hand Canada's economy is supposed to be prosperous and more so than that of the UK at the moment. But then I heard that apparently a lot of the skilled jobs that they do have available in Canada at the moment are not paid that well, relative to the skills they require and relative to other 1st world countries.

I know that I haven't decided on the exact area I want to work in yet and that that will help to clarify likely prospective salaries I'd be looking at in Canada, and that one can only be so precise when talking about skilled labour generally, but it does concern me a little bit!
Anyone else got any view on the current state of the Canadian skilled jobs market?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Try these links
http://www.clbc.ca/files/reports/imm...n_handbook.pdf
http://www.hrcouncil.ca/documents/cu...ate_report.pdf
http://www.cme-mec.ca/english/advoca...le-skills.html
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually I mentioned fees had come down
Im not in total disagreement with you. What is the average shop hourly rate for fixing your vehicle ($75 +) but does it actually cost that?
Try calling a plumber at 2am in the morning and see what you get charged.
Its a fee at the end of the day and you either pay it or you dont regardless if you believe the fee to be appropriate. Hell lets not even discuss a top lawyers fees to get you off a murder charge
I do agree with you generally. And I think we can rely on the Canadian government to never charge us fees that are completely extortionate! Though I think at the same time it's just something to be aware of that even with lawyer fees and garage fees and all that, you really do always have a choice and can go to another dealer who's not going to overcharge you! Except sometimes market factors such as geographical location can make particular services and goods expensive to purchase irrespective of who you buy them from. In which case it's a case of whether the government should step in and subsidise of pay the full cost outright using taxpayer money. Which is of course exactly what the government does do in extreme circumstances such as when a person's been arrested and can't afford a lawyer. Or in the UK for example, the government recently stopped chartering helicopters to one of the islands of Scotland because it was considered too much of a burden on the taxpayer. Now the islanders there are left with no air transport period as there's no way under the free market a private helicopter company could make a profit out of providing such a service. I think in the case of cheese in Canada the government won't subsidise as it probably figures that ham or some other related product is cheaper in Canada and therefore you lot can make you cash back on that!
But saying that, yes. Maybe I shouldn't complain quite so much as I am fully aware of the good deal we get regarding Canadian immigration fees when compared with equivalent fees those wishing to move to Canada's southern neighbour are subjected to!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I do agree with you generally. And I think we can rely on the Canadian government to never charge us fees that are completely extortionate! Though I think at the same time it's just something to be aware of that even with lawyer fees and garage fees and all that, you really do always have a choice and can go to another dealer who's not going to overcharge you! Except sometimes market factors such as geographical location can make particular services and goods expensive to purchase irrespective of who you buy them from. In which case it's a case of whether the government should step in and subsidise of pay the full cost outright using taxpayer money. Which is of course exactly what the government does do in extreme circumstances such as when a person's been arrested and can't afford a lawyer. Or in the UK for example, the government recently stopped chartering helicopters to one of the islands of Scotland because it was considered too much of a burden on the taxpayer. Now the islanders there are left with no air transport period as there's no way under the free market a private helicopter company could make a profit out of providing such a service. I think in the case of cheese in Canada the government won't subsidise as it probably figures that ham or some other related product is cheaper in Canada and therefore you lot can make you cash back on that!
But saying that, yes. Maybe I shouldn't complain quite so much as I am fully aware of the good deal we get regarding Canadian immigration fees when compared with equivalent fees those wishing to move to Canada's southern neighbour are subjected to!

1. Federal Service fees in Canada are governed by the Financial Administration Act. They can't be higher than the cost of providing the services. There is actually a Class action suit about Immigration fees, certified in 2008 but hasn't really gone anywhere yet. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...cy/lawsuit.asp
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:55 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

So with the "prospect" of a new visa potentially being release in January is it advisable to still get the ACRO Police Certificate as I don't want to get the certificate to find the criteria has been changed i.e. a new police certificate/type.

Or am I just over thinking this....
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Federal Service fees in Canada are governed by the Financial Administration Act. They can't be higher than the cost of providing the services. There is actually a Class action suit about Immigration fees, certified in 2008 but hasn't really gone anywhere yet. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...cy/lawsuit.asp
Thanks PMM!

So there we go! If Canadian immigration agencies are charging more than they need to charge in order to provide the service, (including paying their staff salaries etc) then they are actually in breach of the law passed by Canadian electorate, in which case the agency is not just doing a dis-service to the immigrants who are overpaying but also to the Canadian citizens who democratically passed a law to prevent such reprehensible conduct!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks I'll give them a read!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.