International Experience Canada

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: International Experience Canada

I bought heath insurance from canada, instead of travel insurance from the UK. It was $68 for the entire year because I had provincial cover.

Originally Posted by sunshine87
Hey everyone congrats to those just getting the LOIs, my best friend finally got hers last night too after 6 months of stress with our applications.

So I am moving to Vancouver on 11th July...

I haven't been in the UK since Oct last year and not going back before entering Canada so they will have to accept my online print out of bank statement as proof of funds, ridiculous if they don't!

But my next hurdle is travel insurance, bad luck mine just expired yesterday and I haven't had internet for the past week as I am currently in Belize...so now my option of renewing that before expiry (with Insure and Go) is out...ACE insurance is a no-go as need to be leaving from the UK...World Nomads is too expensive...so not sure what to do? Any other options?

It seems like I might have to just buy a cheap one, eg. Ace or the others recommended as that will get me in by the borders BUT I guess if I ever needed to claim they would then maybe find out I didnt leave from the UK so would say insurance not valid? What do you guys think? Fingers crossed nothing would happen to me anyway, then also after 3 months working you get national healthcare anyway don't you? Just thinking worst case scenario...
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
Hello, so I fly to TO tomorrow. How do I apply for my SIN, do I just turn up at the office? I don't have anywhere to live yet!

Is it easy to get one?

Robert
Its easy, you just need to go to a service canada place with your permit, and passport and you will be issued one
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
I don't know much about the insurance side of things but as for the free healthcare after 3 months that is only valid if you have a valid work contract for 6 months or more!!!
And are in a province that offers it, that at least is the condition for Ontario,
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by age26
what address do most people give when getting their SIN? And does anyone know how long it takes to come through? I'm staying at a hostel for the first two weeks so I don't know what address I would give
I used a friends address when applying, I think it is so they can mail out your card - but honestly, I cannot remember as it was over 2 years ago.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

torbo88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i need helpp i am currently iving in canada (toronto) with my girlfriend on an iec from 2011 i know i have missed this years load but i just read on the website you now need to be living in the uk for 3 years directly before the application does this mean i can no longer apply for a second iec visa?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jennika is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think so... from what I remember there are a few people on here who have done it twice in a row. I don't know for sure tho sorry!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by torbo88
ok i need helpp i am currently iving in canada (toronto) with my girlfriend on an iec from 2011 i know i have missed this years load but i just read on the website you now need to be living in the uk for 3 years directly before the application does this mean i can no longer apply for a second iec visa?

You have to lived in the UK for 18 months in the previous 3 years from the date of your application to be eligible.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by torbo88

18months out of 3 years, or have valid proof of address / residence in the uk - i have been in canada for over 2 years, but my permanent address is in the uk, i have a bank account, car, car insurance etc all mailed there. I applied / filled in my forms at xmas to make sure i met the exact date of 18 months.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

sunshine87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottyxx
I bought heath insurance from canada, instead of travel insurance from the UK. It was $68 for the entire year because I had provincial cover.
But I can't do that can I? Can I buy insurance from Canadian company for my 12 months and show that at the border?

I am currently in Belize, flying from Mexico to Vancouver next week and really freaking out now I realised the small print of ACE and most insurers that it was meant to start and finish in the UK, I havent been home for 9 months...

I don;'t know what to do...if I just buy ACE for the sake of it type thing, knowing its invalid if I claim and they work out I didnt fly from the UK, will the border guys accept it, also knowing I havent come from the UK? There must be a way round this and not Nomads £500 insurance!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, if you don't have insurance, you can't claim anyway, having ACE doesnt mean you will have to claim.

My advice would be to find the cheapest UK travel insurance policy you can find and take it out - I think a few pages back I found one for around $100-$200, and just take the hit knowing it will get you into the country - but know you cannot claim on it.

I dont think you can do what i did, as it is only for people with a valid provincial/OHIP card.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, if you don't have insurance, you can't claim anyway, having ACE doesnt mean you will have to claim.

My advice would be to find the cheapest UK travel insurance policy you can find and take it out - I think a few pages back I found one for around $100-$200, and just take the hit knowing it will get you into the country - but know you cannot claim on it.

I dont think you can do what i did, as it is only for people with a valid provincial/OHIP card.
The cheapest I found was https://www.flexicover.co.uk/Gap_Year_Travel_Insurance

Enter code EC112 to get 20% off, bringing 1 year of backpacker insurance down to £160.82

Check it out and see if there is anything that might help you,

There is also http://www.safevisit.ca/ for Canadian Visitor insurance, it cares about your nationality not where you start your trip from. It around $470.12 with a decent , $1000, deductable.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello so I finally made it to Toronto. Immigration was a COMPLETE nightmare and I was very disappointed.

I waited in the queue as everybody else did but then I got passed over to the immigration department in another queue I had to wait in. When it got to my turn I had to take a seat in the back of the other part of the immigration office. There were no tickets which related to a queuing system so it was a free for all and I had to wait an hour and a half to be seen, so people who came in after me went before me. I thought it was really bad.

I got into one of the booths after hearing people getting denied entry and getting deported back to the UK the next day (as in tomorrow) and so I was really nervous.

I gave the man my LOI and what came next really annoyed me. The date "validity," was middle of May 2013 which therefore meant that I had to enter before middle of May 2013. He then told me that my visa would be valid until the middle of May 2013. I got a bit defensive and said that it should be valid until 1st July 2013 because it is a one years work permit and this therefore means that I have missed 7 weeks already. He wasn't budging at all and I was getting really annoyed. He printed my visa and said it's valid until the middle of May 2013 and so I had to deal with that. I tried one last time and he went over and asked somebody else who came back, cancelled that visa and then issued another one with the correct date 01 July 2013. You need to be really CAREFUL otherwise you could miss out. I was so surprised that this happened but he was really apologetic.

I didn't get asked for proof of funds or insurance which really did surprise me.

After all of that, I missed my luggage because I spent so long in the immigration department. I went to the air transat counter to ask where my bag was and they said it was over there. I went to collect it and guess what??? It was damaged and I had to drag it around most of Toronto up and down the subway stairs because it had been damaged. I put in a complaint and they have told me to go to some place to get it repaired and if not, get it refunded. I'm so annoyed because this "place" is about 16 km from Toronto.

Even after all of this, I think Toronto is great. You're all in for a treat
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah Roberto you really need to know what you are going for because the people at the airport know nothing compared to the people at the drive through borders. The reason he probably never asked for funds or insurance was because he didn't have a clue wtf he was giving you.

Welcome to Canada, public transport sucks, I find it so hard to believe there is no direct way from the airport to DT Toronto.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Roberto you really need to know what you are going for because the people at the airport know nothing compared to the people at the drive through borders. The reason he probably never asked for funds or insurance was because he didn't have a clue wtf he was giving you.

Welcome to Canada, public transport sucks, I find it so hard to believe there is no direct way from the airport to DT Toronto.
Errr some of us have worked at both land border and airports and pretend we know what we are doing
No need to ask for proof of funds or insurance as its a mandatory requirement of the IEC. There have been a few turned away because they didnt have it.
All Im saying if asked you better have it or you might be facing another plane ride back to where you have just come from.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

cptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nicecptkid89 is just really nice

I can't be worse than the UK's surely? Public transport in the UK is the worst I have ever encountered, and its super expensive.

I remember being a kid and paying 45p to travel over 6 miles on the bus, now that same ticket (as an adult), although I rarely use PT, is £5.45. £5 increase in about 8 years.

Madness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.