Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Going back to Canada - where to start

Going back to Canada - where to start

Old May 24th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

cyasoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back to Canada - where to start

Hi I live in the UK. I am Canadian born, Canadian parents. I want to go home!
I want to bring partner (not married yet) and my young son (who has canadian citizenship card 2011)

Is there a thread that explains what i must do, in detail, like a step by step explanation of how to initiate family sponsorship?

It's very daunting. I look at the forms, then I read here, and I am afraid of making a step.

I would be grateful if someone could advise what it is, that I need in my possession, and my partners possession in terms of documents, that says we can book that flight and go! We are applying from the UK. At what point can you actually leave to go to Canada, what document do you have to have?

What do I need to have in place before I even make the application

If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the direction or advise of what I must do first to last - that would be great.

My partner(northern irish) has an Irish passport but he might go and get an english one if that would make things easier. We have been together for 4 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to start.
I know I need money, I need to sell my house, but first I have to know what to do in terms of sponsoring my partner.

I suppose what i am looking for is info on how we all can get to canada with my family, as quickly as possible.

thank you all so much and have a great day

Last edited by cyasoon; May 24th 2013 at 12:09 pm. Reason: add info
Old May 24th 2013, 12:42 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Canada - where to start

Doesn't really make much difference having an Irish passport or a British one.

Basically the best place to start is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

It lists all the application documents and the guide. It's a laborious process really. Some people do it themselves, others (like me) use an immigration lawyer to hold your hand through the process (and check everything)
Old May 24th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that - am looking at it now.

ta
Old May 24th 2013, 12:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyasoon
Many thanks for that - am looking at it now.

ta
I have my "completed" package, as do many others, so I'm sure we can give useful advice when you read a question and say "What the hell does that mean?". If you're like me you'll be saying it regularly!

I'm married so the proofs and evidence of a relationship is slightly different but it'll basically boil down to your partner getting a UK (ACPO) police certificate and a medical and then completing the myriad forms in Part 2. You, as sponsor, do Part 1. You'll know them intimately by the end believe me! Checks and medical should be done closer to the end of filling out all the forms though as they are only valid for shorter periods of time and the forms can take weeks/months to complete depending on your motivation.

Besides all that you'll probably need to get things like proofs of joint bank accounts or investments, joint rental/mortgage evidence, photos etc. Anything that really proves your relationship is genuine.

As you have a child together (I'm assuming your partner is the parent!) I'd imagine there will be very little difficulty.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi. Great information. Thank you.

My child is from my previous marriage (we are divorced).

We have a joint bank acct just set up - never thought about it before, but in light of immigration, decided to do this.

We have been together for 4 years and its so funny, but when it comes to 'proving' it - I wonder, how do we 'prove' ? We have photos of our holidays, we just returned from Canada together (our passports stamped the same day/photos with my family, etc).

Having to prove what you know to be true is interesting.
Anyway, as you say, laborious - must just get cracking.
thanks again
Old May 24th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

As you have gone through the process, what have you done so far? if you don't mind me asking

As I am just beginning, I havent even downloaded the forms proper yet.

What document do you need in the end to be able to say, way hey, we are outta here ? How long will it take for you to get it?

ta
Old May 24th 2013, 1:11 pm
The ride never ends

Things like joint bank accounts show "combining your affairs". Stuff like holidays together can be an easy way to show you were together in the past if you print off the itinerary or show the stamps in each of your passports. Photos, old/current rental leases, letters from friends or family attesting to your relationship being genuine. On mine I included an electricity bill (in my wifes name) and then my drivers license as they both showed the same actual address. I'm sure other people have come up with other ways to show evidence.

As I was married I supplied my marriage certificate but you will notice:
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] in Part 1. That's basically you promising, in the presence of a notary/commissioner of oaths type bod, that you are in a relationship with your partner.

If your partner isn't the parent I doubt it'll be an issue but not sure if there are any extra steps or considerations involved regarding the other birth parent.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:15 pm
The ride never ends

As you have gone through the process, what have you done so far? if you don't mind me asking

As I am just beginning, I havent even downloaded the forms proper yet.

What document do you need in the end to be able to say, way hey, we are outta here ? How long will it take for you to get it?

ta
Well at the moment my application is in London and I'm waiting for it to be reviewed/approved.

Once you complete the application and gather the proofs/medical/police checks you pay the fee and send the whole thing in one package to Mississauga in Canada. That's known as Stage 1. This is the part where you, as sponsor, get checked and approved to sponsor your child and partner to come to Canada with you. That step is usually pretty quick.

After that the file will get transferred to London for Stage 2 where your partners part of the application is reviewed. The stated processing time here is 10 months but in reality it's usually faster than that. Some people have got through in 3 months. The average seems to be about 6-7 months but it varies.

Processing times are listed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp
Old May 24th 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by orly
Things like joint bank accounts show "combining your affairs". Stuff like holidays together can be an easy way to show you were together in the past if you print off the itinerary or show the stamps in each of your passports. Photos, old/current rental leases, letters from friends or family attesting to your relationship being genuine. On mine I included an electricity bill (in my wifes name) and then my drivers license as they both showed the same actual address. I'm sure other people have come up with other ways to show evidence.

As I was married I supplied my marriage certificate but you will notice:
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] in Part 1. That's basically you promising, in the presence of a notary/commissioner of oaths type bod, that you are in a relationship with your partner.

If your partner isn't the parent I doubt it'll be an issue but not sure if there are any extra steps or considerations involved regarding the other birth parent.
Now I fear I messed up.
I didn't complete the IMM 5409 as it said 'if using a co-signer'. We weren't using a co-signer so didn't complete it. I remember looking on here to double check and some include it, some don't. From what I read and how I interpreted the question, it wasn't needed in my case.

Eeek.
Old May 24th 2013, 2:29 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by leg89
Now I fear I messed up.
I didn't complete the IMM 5409 as it said 'if using a co-signer'. We weren't using a co-signer so didn't complete it. I remember looking on here to double check and some include it, some don't. From what I read and how I interpreted the question, it wasn't needed in my case.

Eeek.
The wording is a bit cryptic in the guide too. Can't help on that one I'm afraid as I didn't have to use that form on account of being married.
Old May 24th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future

Meh, I guess some people include it 'just incase'. If they want it, they will ask for it..
Old May 24th 2013, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Orly.

quick question - so you are waiting for London to get back to you.

Let's say (hopefully) they come back to you really quick. What is it they come back to about? To say your spouse will be admitted?

If so, what does that look like - what is it that they provide to you once they 'approve' your spouse?

Is it a PR card?

And if so, then what - are you free to pack up and go after that?

that's the part I don't understand. If you could illuminate - that would be great.

ta
Old May 24th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Cyasoon, after you have download all of the forms for completion, read them, again and again and again. They start to make more sense the more you read them.

When all of your papers and back up documents are complete, and the fees are paid, and you partner has had the medical, all of the papers are sent to Mississauga.

You, then wait, for approval to sponsor your partner, this does not normally take long to be decided. If all goes well there, your partners papers will be processed. This takes longer, but there are lots of timelines on the thread on here 'Timeline for spousal sponsorship via London'. Have a look at it.

It does seem confusing at first and the paperwork can look daunting, but it is reasonably straightforward, if you tackle it in bits.

Very best of luck and best wishes.

Last edited by MillieF; May 24th 2013 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Typo
Old May 24th 2013, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

thank you Millie F and to everyone else who helped me out here. !!
Old May 24th 2013, 6:19 pm
The ride never ends

Hi Orly.

quick question - so you are waiting for London to get back to you.

Let's say (hopefully) they come back to you really quick. What is it they come back to about? To say your spouse will be admitted?

If so, what does that look like - what is it that they provide to you once they 'approve' your spouse?

Is it a PR card?

And if so, then what - are you free to pack up and go after that?

that's the part I don't understand. If you could illuminate - that would be great.

ta
I am the person being sponsored as my wife is Canadian.

My understanding is once approved I get a "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" document that I present with my British passport when I "land" (arrive) in Canada. As I'm already in Canada it should be a case of driving to the US border and doing what is termed "flagpoling". Essentially skip into the US for a bit and then back into Canada.

Again my understanding is, at this point, I'll be asked for an address in Canada where my PR card should be sent to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.