Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How many hours = 1 year full time employment?

How many hours = 1 year full time employment?

Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

BumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enoughBumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enough
Default How many hours = 1 year full time employment?

Hello everyone!

Do you know how the London office / Canadian Immigration calculate what a full time job is. As in how many hours worked over a year. What is the minimum? Different industries have different levels... is there an accepted figure?

The reason i am asking (if you want to know!)

the london office have responded, and have requested that my employers write another letter detailing (the exact wording):

“please provide written confirmation from your employers indicating how many hours/week you spent at each company you worked for as well as a breakdown of the amount of time spent per job/ occupation you performed at each company. (e.g. how much time you spent in each position as you hold multiple positions.)”

The reason being: i hold 3 positions at the same time in one company. This will make sense to those that are self employed: Company Director, Company Secretary and Financial Controller (which is on THE LIST). So my day to day tasks are as Financial controller. But legally in the UK I am on the Companies House register as one of the Directors / Company Secretary. So this is why they are asking for more information.

However - i also qualify for processing as 'Vocational College Lecturer' also on THE LIST. I ticked that i had 1 years experience in this. This was a visiting lecturer position i held over 4 years so roughly worked out the hours would equal 1 year full time.

Now they are asking for more detail i am starting to panic that the actual hours dont add up to the 1 year minimum required experience to qualify. And therefore get rejected.

? me too! happy to explain more if this is not making sense.

thanks for your time in advance
BBUK
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many hours = 1 year full time employment?

Hi

Originally Posted by BumbleBeeUK
Hello everyone!

Do you know how the London office / Canadian Immigration calculate what a full time job is. As in how many hours worked over a year. What is the minimum? Different industries have different levels... is there an accepted figure?

the london office have responded, and have requested that my employers write another letter detailing (the exact wording):

“please provide written confirmation from your employers indicating how many hours/week you spent at each company you worked for as well as a breakdown of the amount of time spent per job/ occupation you performed at each company. (e.g. how much time you spent in each position as you hold multiple positions.)”

The reason being: i hold 3 positions at the same time in one company. This will make sense to those that are self employed: Company Director, Company Secretary and Financial Controller (which is on THE LIST). So my day to day tasks are as Financial controller. But legally in the UK I am on the Companies House register as one of the Directors / Company Secretary. So this is why they are asking for more information.

However - i also qualify for processing as 'Vocational College Lecturer' also on THE LIST. I ticked that i had 1 years experience in this. This was a visiting lecturer position i held over 4 years so roughly worked out the hours would equal 1 year full time.

Now they are asking for more detail i am starting to panic that the actual hours dont add up to the 1 year minimum required experience to qualify. And therefore get rejected.

BBUK
1950 hours = 1 year's employment.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Would 1950 be also correct for lecturers? I dont know, just wondering as academic year is shorter?

Ray
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by raymasa
Would 1950 be also correct for lecturers? I dont know, just wondering as academic year is shorter?

Ray
No, you would have to determine how many courses/course hours a full time lecturer does in 2 semesters.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:35 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="Teal"][B] Company Director, Company Secretary and Financial Controller (which is on THE LIST). So my day to day tasks are as Financial controller. But legally in the UK I am on the Companies House register as one of the Directors / Company Secretary. So this is why they are asking for more information.
Surely your duties as a Director and Secretary are ancillary to your work as a financial controller?

In a similar situation I attended board meetings once a month (12 hours a year) and spent 2-3 hours per year on company secretarial work.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

BumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enoughBumbleBeeUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Surely your duties as a Director and Secretary are ancillary to your work as a financial controller?

In a similar situation I attended board meetings once a month (12 hours a year) and spent 2-3 hours per year on company secretarial work.
Yes quite right – just thought I had to detail everything. And didn’t want it to sound dodgy!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, you would have to determine how many courses/course hours a full time lecturer does in 2 semesters.

Thanks to both PMM and raymsa

I have asked my HR contact at my current full time place – part of a big corporation – and she wasn’t familiar with their being an industry recognised formula for calculating hours.

Therefore I have asked the principal of the college to establish what the full time lecturers work (in this case 44 weeks in a year with classes running 10am – 5pm with prep outside of that) to give some sort of frame work.

I guess more information is better than less!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
i have been doing some research and have finally found something concrete! In the OP6 manual i found this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf
Page 26

• be full-time work, which, according to R80(7), is equivalent to at least 37.5 hours of paid work
per week. Full-time work experience requirement may be met by the equivalent in part-time
paid work experience, e.g. two part-time jobs held simultaneously. Experience can be
calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time work, i.e. 37.5 hours per week in one
job or a total of at least 37.5 hours per week in more than one job, in one or more of the NOC
categories. Periods of work of less than 12 months during the 10 years immediately preceding
the date of the application may be added together and divided by 12 to calculate the number
of years.

This would add up to 1950 - as previously mentioned - if you simply times it by 52...
my referee at the college ended up not including a paragraph about the full time year at the school, and as it stands i did between 912 and 1216 hours. There is no hard proof - merely what we know about how the courses are run. My brain is now too tired to worry about this. i guess it is what it is!

Last edited by BumbleBeeUK; Feb 20th 2010 at 3:52 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

So they discount periods of annual or enforced leave then?

We are looking at one year in April as vocational college instructor - ie started work mid April 2009. Does that then mean we have to wait a further 13 weeks, as that is what they have to take as holiday!!

Every time I think we are nearly there, the goalposts move even further.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:59 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

[F] Hello everyone!

BBUK
[/FONT]
Wow - sounds like you've made it complicated for yourself. If your main job was Financial controller and thats on the list why complicate things for the immigration officer? What is your work history and do you have enough work experience for max points without trying to claim an extra year as Vocational College Lecturer?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kaye5
So they discount periods of annual or enforced leave then?

We are looking at one year in April as vocational college instructor - ie started work mid April 2009. Does that then mean we have to wait a further 13 weeks, as that is what they have to take as holiday!!

Every time I think we are nearly there, the goalposts move even further.
I dunno Kaye! as long as you have a contract and have been working 'full time' i would not be too worried. And of course your employers letter will be saying you work full time for them. The information i found in OP 6 (see earlier post) doesnt talk about holiday. I guess i your contract says Kaye works full time, 5 days a week 14 hours a week they may have something to say as Op 6 states 37.5 hrs a week being full time.

Mine was a bit odd as i was a 'visiting vocational lecturer' and i worked across 4 years. I would make sure the hours add up if you were in this situation or part time. The Immigration officer is making sure ( i believe) that i worked as a financial controller all the time for the other company.

Hi Rob - you are so right - keep it simple! I was just making sure i had covered everything and was worried about just saying my title was company director when there is nothing about 'company directors' on the list. I know its not title specific and more about the duties / responsibilities had... so i put everything i had been known by. Hopefully my reference letter from business partner will clear up the confusion. Its hard to make things sound really clear when you know what your trying to say!

Thanks for posting...

Last edited by BumbleBeeUK; Mar 16th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of people are employed 35 hours a week contractually, but do far more in reality!

Permanent teachers/lecturers are employed year round. Hopefully that will be ok then.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

SergeyAU is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: How many hours = 1 year full time employment?

Hi,

Does anybody know if there any chance to squeeze for example 2 years part-time employment (under 20h/week) to 1 year full-time equivalent? Or I must have only full-time records in employment history?

Thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SergeyAU
Hi,

Does anybody know if there any chance to squeeze for example 2 years part-time employment (under 20h/week) to 1 year full-time equivalent? Or I must have only full-time records in employment history?

Thanks.
Hi sergeyau

i am under the impression that as long as your experience adds up to 1 year full time - even if part time it will count.

See earlier post below for more info - and search the cic site it has a lot of information re this.

Good luck