British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   How long to wait for PNP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/how-long-wait-pnp-753643/)

lez_s Apr 2nd 2012 11:51 pm

How long to wait for PNP

Hi,

I have my years working visa and have been offered a perm job as a System Tester.

I'm just wondering how long do I have to work before I can apply for PNP as my job is on the PNP list (2283 Systems Testing Technicians) as I'm doing the paperwork my self, but the company said they will sign the paperwork for me etc but I have to pay for it.

lez_s Apr 3rd 2012 12:29 am

Re: How long to wait for PNP

Just so people dont think I'm being lazy I'm looking at http://www.welcomebc.ca but can't find any info.

Novocastrian Apr 3rd 2012 2:20 am

Originally Posted by lez_s (Post 9986054)
Just so people dont think I'm being lazy I'm looking at http://www.welcomebc.ca but can't find any info.

You're not being lazy, just incoherent. Try reading the wiki, you've been a member for 5 years, surely someone's mentioned it?

lez_s Apr 3rd 2012 2:28 am

Might have signed up 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean I've used the site or read every thread over 5 years.

GC44 Apr 3rd 2012 11:51 am

If you check out the immigration area of British Expats you will find threads about PNP Timelines from both inside Canada and from outside Canada.

christmasoompa Apr 3rd 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by lez_s (Post 9986143)
Might have signed up 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean I've used the site or read every thread over 5 years.

In which case, it would be very helpful if you could read the thread for newbies - link in my signature.

That will give you info about how to use the site, which bit of the forum is for what (any visa related queries belong in the immigration section - I'll move this thread for you), and also direct you to the Wiki.

But you don't need to wait a certain amount of time before your company applies for PNP under the Skilled Worker stream (it can even be applied for from outside Canada before starting the job). It's only the semi-skilled stream that has a requirement to have worked in the job for at least 9 months first.

HTH.

lez_s Apr 3rd 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks for the info.

Now the ball is rolling for me I'll read up on the info on the site. I'll read the Newcomers To The Forum now.

GC44 Apr 3rd 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9987370)
In which case, it would be very helpful if you could read the thread for newbies - link in my signature.

That will give you info about how to use the site, which bit of the forum is for what (any visa related queries belong in the immigration section - I'll move this thread for you), and also direct you to the Wiki.

But you don't need to wait a certain amount of time before your company applies for PNP under the Skilled Worker stream (it can even be applied for from outside Canada before starting the job). It's only the semi-skilled stream that has a requirement to have worked in the job for at least 9 months first.

HTH.

6 months in Manitoba. ;)

lez_s Apr 4th 2012 12:46 am

Sounds good. It is a skilled job, an IT job so I'll get the ball rolling on my first day.

christmasoompa Apr 4th 2012 7:35 am

Originally Posted by GC44 (Post 9987938)
6 months in Manitoba. ;)

Yes, but the OP is in BC, hence my BC specific response to him. ;):lol:

tee1 Apr 5th 2012 2:22 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9987370)

HTH.

Can you apply for the pnp without a LMO? Sorry if I'm wrong but is the op not on an open work permit off the back of a study permit? I'd be interested to know if you can apply for pnp without first obtaining a LMO for a job your already working in on an open work permit :)

christmasoompa Apr 5th 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by tee1 (Post 9989886)
Can you apply for the pnp without a LMO? Sorry if I'm wrong but is the op not on an open work permit off the back of a study permit? I'd be interested to know if you can apply for pnp without first obtaining a LMO for a job your already working in on an open work permit :)

Yes, no LMO is required for PNP.

So it depends on the job and the province, but if you are on an open work permit (not IEC, but something like a Spousal Open Work Permit), then you can apply for PR via the PNP - also worth noting that you could apply under FSW cat 2 if eligible, no LMO is required for that either if you are on an open work permit.

HTH.

:)