TWP restrictions

Old May 2nd 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Shaun_and_Em is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP restrictions

Hi folks!

Shaun and I arrived just over two weeks ago on a two year work permit, with our PR in the pipeline since last July. We came over with Shauns job and I have an OWP, however there are restrictions that state that I am unable to work woth children and that I cannot work in a medical environment either which I believe is general practice across the board, just wondering that as there is no small print am I able to get around this with medicals and a police check? There is no point in applying for these positions if I am not able to work in these fields.

Cheers guys!
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP restrictions

Read this link regarding jobs requiring medicals

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...exams-temp.asp

As you are already here chances are you wont be asked for Police checks unless the job requires it.
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: TWP restrictions

So am I right in thinking that providing I have a medical (as per the link) I would not be in breach of my work permit, I don't want to jeopardise our future here. Thank you for the link!
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaun_and_Em
So am I right in thinking that providing I have a medical (as per the link) I would not be in breach of my work permit, I don't want to jeopardise our future here. Thank you for the link!
Basically thats correct. You would need the medical done in Canada by a DMP located in Canada which you can find using that link. The medical needs to be done before starting work in any of the jobs requiring a medical.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Basically thats correct. You would need the medical done in Canada by a DMP located in Canada which you can find using that link. The medical needs to be done before starting work in any of the jobs requiring a medical.
Are you sure that's correct? I thought you had to apply to change the TWP, and basically get a whole new TWP after submitting the medical results to CIC. Not sure that the OP can just have a medical and work in one of the restricted occupations on her current SOWP can she?
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:12 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure that's correct? I thought you had to apply to change the TWP, and basically get a whole new TWP after submitting the medical results to CIC. Not sure that the OP can just have a medical and work in one of the restricted occupations on her current SOWP can she?
Yes you do have to a brand new SOWP. I had my SOWP amended to remove the restrictions once our medicals were completed and into CIC. It took about 10 days to apply online and complete the process.

Not sure what happens with the Police Check here in Canada as I have not really started looking seriously at jobs just yet. Not sure if you apply to RCMP before you apply for job or once offered. Someone will no doubt be along to confirm soon.

What line of work are you seeking?
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats why I said basically. Most workers coming in knowing that they will be working in those fields have already had their medicals done so no requirement for them to have a medical done in Canada. Yes they would have to change over the TWP if after arriving and want to work in those jobs.
We also have the scenarios where they have been issued LMOs or TWPs and are arriving from a designated country but will be here for more than 6 months and also require medicals. We only issue the TWP for the 6 months and once the medical has been done then the TWP can be issued for the remaining amount of time.

9.6. In-Canada extension requests
All temporary residents from designated countries, including foreign workers employed in occupations other than those described in Section 9.1 should be issued normal extensions for the time requested by the client, if approved, with medical instructions. Remarks on the visitor record must indicate ―Additional condition: Must undergo immigration medical examination for further extensions to be considered.‖
No follow-up takes place unless and until the client applies again for a new document. In cases where it is felt appropriate, officers may impose conditions requiring the client to have a medical examination and prove compliance.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I said basically.
Ah, I see. It sounded like you were saying the OP just needed to have a medical done and then could work in any job, missing out the online form filling bit in the middle.

The bit about 'extension requests' you've included isn't relevant though is it? It's a change of conditions on a TWP she needs to apply for, not an extension.
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah, I see. It sounded like you were saying the OP just needed to have a medical done and then could work in any job, missing out the online form filling bit in the middle.

The bit about 'extension requests' you've included isn't relevant though is it? It's a change of conditions on a TWP she needs to apply for, not an extension.
Actually that bit was taken from the Foreign Workers Manual and thats why sometimes the CIC manuals confuse lots of people as opposed to the actual CIC website guidelines.
Usually when I give too much details some readers dont like it They prefer the Coles Notes which sometimes leads to pertinent bits being missed
Old May 2nd 2012, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Actually that bit was taken from the Foreign Workers Manual and thats why sometimes the CIC manuals confuse lots of people as opposed to the actual CIC website guidelines.
Usually when I give too much details some readers dont like it They prefer the Coles Notes which sometimes leads to pertinent bits being missed
Yes, I know that it was taken from the Manual. My point was the section 9.6 is for extensions, which isn't what the OP is going to be applying for (although I realise it's the same form), so I was trying to clarify why you quoted it.

Old May 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thats why I said basically. Most workers coming in knowing that they will be working in those fields have already had their medicals done so no requirement for them to have a medical done in Canada.
Thanks all thats great info, this was unintentional actually, I have experience within hospitals bt decided that I would just take a stacking shelves job in Safeway or something similar to each a few bucks and pass time but now I'm here I miss that line of work so although I haven't previously done it before I'll be working for a daycare/preschool.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I guess it's back to the paperwork for me!!