Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I emigrate to Canada with a criminal record ?

Can I emigrate to Canada with a criminal record ?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:09 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I emigrate to Canada with a criminal record ?

Originally Posted by sarb44
It has been about 16yrs so does this mean i am ok.
You would benefit from reading the Guide to Rehabilitation For Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity. It is available in HTML format and in PDF format.

Your age at the time that you committed the crime is relevant. If you were under 18 at the time, the Canadian government treats your case more leniently.

In addition to that, if your crime would have earned a sentence under 10 years in Canada, you're in a better position than you would be if your crime would have earned a sentence of 10 years or more in Canada. I think, but am not sure, that your crime would have earned a sentence of under 10 years in Canada.

You also need to read through the material with your wife's case in mind.

I believe your situation is sufficiently complex that you would benefit from the services of an immigration consultant.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

sarb44 is an unknown quantity at this point

That file was brilliant thanks. I am a little confused though as I am not sure what to do next. It states

A. Convictions/Offences outside Canada
If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may overcome this
criminal inadmissibility
• by applying for rehabilitation, or
you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you
completed the sentence imposed upon you

Do i conclude that because 10yrs have passed I am deemed rehabilitated and I do not need to do anything, or do I get evidence of the conviction within a police check certificate and apply for rehabilitation and parole. The answer to this question will conclude what my next steps are.

Last edited by sarb44; Mar 21st 2007 at 8:59 am.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You have to apply for it.

CIC Form IMM1444?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 21st 2007 at 12:57 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

That file was brilliant thanks. I am a little confused though as I am not sure what to do next. It states

A. Convictions/Offences outside Canada
If you were convicted of or committed a criminal offence outside Canada, you may overcome this
criminal inadmissibility
• by applying for rehabilitation, or
you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you
completed the sentence imposed upon you

Do i conclude that because 10yrs have passed I am deemed rehabilitated and I do not need to do anything, or do I get evidence of the conviction within a police check certificate and apply for rehabilitation and parole. The answer to this question will conclude what my next steps are.
Hi. Just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine did have a very shady past when i was helping him fill in the application i did comment on the police check. He wanted to just put the application in as more than 10 years had passed since his last 'mistake'!! He received PR and was never questioned about his past.

I know from being on here every case is different so not sure if your offence is classed as more serious than his??? PM me and i'll give you more info if you want it.

Good Luck
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

sarb44 is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds very promising, i hope thats the case that after 10yrs it doesnt need a rehabilitation application. I know that one of the immigration forms asks about convictions, so i guess if my application is borderline they will look into it, and maybe your friends case was stronger.

I think i will get a police check done anyway its only £10, just to see if it appears on there. I downloaded the police check form from the west mids police website.

I just wanted to ensure that if i needed to obtain a rehabilitation approval which takes 12mths that i do it now and dont hang around until i am told i have to, as a skilled worker app is already a 45mths process and i dont want it to take any longer.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds very promising, i hope thats the case that after 10yrs it doesnt need a rehabilitation application. I know that one of the immigration forms asks about convictions, so i guess if my application is borderline they will look into it, and maybe your friends case was stronger.

I think i will get a police check done anyway its only £10, just to see if it appears on there. I downloaded the police check form from the west mids police website.

I just wanted to ensure that if i needed to obtain a rehabilitation approval which takes 12mths that i do it now and dont hang around until i am told i have to, as a skilled worker app is already a 45mths process and i dont want it to take any longer.
Am PMing you !