Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can Dual US/CAN citizen drive FL Registered car to Canada???

Can Dual US/CAN citizen drive FL Registered car to Canada???

Old Jan 13th 2002, 1:27 pm
Roger L

Hi,

I am a dual citizen of Canada and U.S. I have a Florida registered car and am
thinking of driving it to Canada in the spring and storing it there for about six
months, or till I return down to our WINTER HOME next fall. I have both a Florida and
a Canadian driver's Licence We spend approx half the year here in Florida. Canada is
my major residence.

Is anyone aware of Canadian laws with regards to this matter or to any Canadian law
problems we might run up against? If not, can someone refer me to some URL that can
inform me about Canadian laws regarding this matter.

Thanks.

Nancy

Old Jan 13th 2002, 3:21 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well, the first problem is that you cannot legally hold 2 drivers licenses.

Second as a Canadian resident (not citizen) you cannot normally drive a US registered
vehicle in Canada. This is a customs issue.

Stuart

Old Jan 13th 2002, 4:14 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a dual citizen of Canada and U.S. I have a Florida registered car and am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thinking of driving it to Canada in the spring and storing it there for about six[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > months, or till I return down to our WINTER HOME next fall. I have both a Florida[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and a Canadian driver's Licence We spend approx half the year here in Florida.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada is my major residence.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Is anyone aware of Canadian laws with regards to this matter or to any Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > law problems we might run up against? If not, can someone refer me to some URL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that can inform me about Canadian laws regarding this matter.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Nancy[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
licenses.

That depends. Florida will issue a license to part year residents, which is marked
"valid in Florida only". They allow you to keep your original license if you are
issued that type of license.

Stephen

Old Jan 13th 2002, 6:49 pm
Not Your Average Joe

Although I'm not an expert in such things,one would think that if you're "home of
record" is in Canada,you'd be required to register your vehicle in Canada.

But then,I suppose it would depend on how your "home of record" is determined.One
possibility is how you register yourself on your Canadian and US tax returns,as well
as the exact number of days you spend in each country in a given fiscal...or
calendar...year.

Roger L wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 14th 2002, 5:00 pm
Stephen Gallagher

Not Your Average Joe <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Florida will allow people who have a part year residence in Florida to register a car
there. A Canadian resident (whether he had dual citizenship or not) who kept a car
for use in Florida would be able to register it there. Note that the car would have
to either be originally purchased in the USA, or if brought in from Canada, it would
have to be legally imported through US customs.

There are many people, both American and non-American who have seasonal residences in
Florida and who keep cars there, registered in Florida.

If the original poster makes his permanent home in Canada, then the only restriction
would be that Canada Customs will not allow him to drive his US registered car into
Canada without paying the required import duties, taxes and fees.

If the original poster makes his permanent home in the US, then he can bring his US
registered car into Canada, for a temporary visit.

It all depends on whether or not, in the eyes of Canada Customss, he is a "resident"
of Canada.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:16 am
T-Rex Jockey

I know that you're not supposed to have two licenses from different states, but does
that apply to Canada also? After all, Canada is a different country, isn't it?

How about going a step further. Can a person have a driver's license from any state,
and have a license from another country, like a European country?

>
[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a dual citizen of Canada and U.S. I have a Florida registered car and am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thinking of driving it to Canada in the spring and storing it there for about six[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > months, or till I return down to our WINTER HOME next fall. I have both a Florida[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and a Canadian driver's Licence We spend approx half the year here in Florida.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada is my major residence.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Is anyone aware of Canadian laws with regards to this matter or to any Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > law problems we might run up against? If not, can someone refer me to some URL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that can inform me about Canadian laws regarding this matter.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Nancy[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
licenses.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:28 pm
Stuart

Canadian provinces are signatories to the North American Driver Licenscing Compact,
which has decreed of its members that members are not permitted to have licenses in
more than one "state"

Many provinces and states take that one step further to simply make multiple
licensing illegal.

Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > I am a dual citizen of Canada and U.S. I have a Florida registered car and am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > thinking of driving it to Canada in the spring and storing it there for about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > six months, or till I return down to our WINTER HOME next fall. I have both a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Florida and a Canadian driver's Licence We spend approx half the year here in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Florida. Canada is my major residence.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Is anyone aware of Canadian laws with regards to this matter or to any Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > law problems we might run up against? If not, can someone refer me to some URL[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > that can inform me about Canadian laws regarding this matter.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Nancy[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Well, the first problem is that you cannot legally hold 2 drivers licenses.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Second as a Canadian resident (not citizen) you cannot normally drive a US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> registered vehicle in Canada. This is a customs issue.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Stuart[/usenetquote2]
    >