Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Műszaki vizsga - Hungarian MOT

Műszaki vizsga - Hungarian MOT

Old May 10th 2016, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Műszaki vizsga - Hungarian MOT

Hi everyone,

This might sound like a strange question

Is there an easy way of knowing when your next MOT is due? I can't seem to find the paperwork...I think it is every 2 years but I cannot for the life of me remember if we had our last MOT last year...or the year before...such is life in Hungary lol.

Any guidance greatly appreciated as always
Old May 10th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Műszaki vizsga - Hungarian MOT

Just saw an older post by Duztee which stated:

"For any body that doesn't know. your MoT status is shown by the top of the two coloured stickers on your rear number plate, so an easy spot for any police following you!"

I can work out the date but not the year lol
Old May 10th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Okay. So found my answer and here is a link for you all:

The number in the inner circle is the year (O9 as per the link below), the number shown by the arrow (8) is the month. There's no set day.

Műszaki vizsga érvényessége! Műszaki vizsga és zöldkártya matrica (plakett) jelölései! Műszaki plakett! zöldkártya plakett! - Műszaki vizsga és Zöldkártya Portál
Old May 10th 2016, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The details of you MOT are entered on to your registration document, which you are supposed to carry with you (along with your insurance receipt) when you drive the car. (ditto ID and driving licence).

MOTs are every 3 years or 2 years or 1 year depending upon the age of the car. Whilst the day is not shown on the number plate stickers it is on the registration document.

The number plate stickers are no longer being issued as all the police cars are on line and all relevant info is available by entering the number plate number.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The details of you MOT are entered on to your registration document, which you are supposed to carry with you (along with your insurance receipt) when you drive the car. (ditto ID and driving licence).
Thank you. We carry all relevant documents...I just was not sure where I was looking. It would appear our next MOT is in 2017.

Last edited by BEVS; May 11th 2016 at 7:01 am. Reason: fix quotes
Old May 11th 2016, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

One final point.
It is important to have your MoT renewed before it expires, and don't wait until the last minute.

The MoT for my pick-up was due last year so I took it to the local garage only 2 days before expiry, only to be told that a pick-up is considered as a commercial vehicle and has to be tested at the main test centre.
Unfortunately the test centre is a busy place and the first appointment I could get was 3 days later.
So as with most things Hungarian, allow extra time because their red tape will always get you!
Old May 11th 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duztee
One final point.
It is important to have your MoT renewed before it expires, and don't wait until the last minute.

The MoT for my pick-up was due last year so I took it to the local garage only 2 days before expiry, only to be told that a pick-up is considered as a commercial vehicle and has to be tested at the main test centre.
Unfortunately the test centre is a busy place and the first appointment I could get was 3 days later.
So as with most things Hungarian, allow extra time because their red tape will always get you!
Good point. Thank you Duztee.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

BudapestBound is an unknown quantity at this point

Picking up on this thread - what happens if the MOT has expired, like it has on my car?

I have just got back here after being away for the summer, and I booked the car in to be tested at the local garage here in Budapest.

The missus spoke to them, and said they needed the previous document, plus and insurance certificate???? Is this the small one I have in my wallet, or something else?
Old Sep 6th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get an MoT certificate like in UK, they just need to stamp your registration document. I've never been asked for my insurance certificate, perhaps that is so they can take the car for a road test?
Old Sep 6th 2016, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

They need the insurance certificate so that they can take (drive) the car to the test station.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I just take the bill from the Insurance company together with the receipts to show I'm paid up until the end of the year.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

BudapestBound is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

But what about the advice not to let the MOT expire before renewing?

Just been online and got the insurance certificate from Aegon. Had to wait for the Hungarian missus to get home so she could navigate the site. Too difficult for my Hungarian.

A
Old Sep 7th 2016, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BudapestBound
Thanks.

But what about the advice not to let the MOT expire before renewing?

A

That was just because you might not get a test appointment immediately and if you have to wait a few days you won't have use of the car if it has expired.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Just adding another point to this thread, you will find that they will also remove the little coloured stickers from the middle of your rear number plate.
These used to be changed to show that a new Mot had been carried out, but since all vehicle details are now on line they are no longer necessary.

As are the vehicle insurance details, so in theory you do not need to carry evidence that you have paid your latest premium.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
As are the vehicle insurance details, so in theory you do not need to carry evidence that you have paid your latest premium.
Except that you still do along with your logbook, your driving licence and your ID - and I also heard THEY are asking for a letter of authority if you are driving someone elses' car, I also heard that there is a simple download format somewhere for this document.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.