Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

YES...WHY NO BULGARIA FORUM!!

YES...WHY NO BULGARIA FORUM!!

Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Scott2105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: YES...WHY NO BULGARIA FORUM!!

Originally Posted by carefreebrit
Sorry if you think I am being rude but I have not laughed so much for a long time as when I read the original post then the stuff which followed.
I hope by now davey 462 has realised that EU funds are being witheld due to the unchecked corruption in Bulgaria.As for where Bulgaria will be in 5 years time, perhaps the same state as now. In 10 years time probably going backwards unless the corruption is stamped out. There are other forums on Bulgaria, one of which focuses only on that country and is full of people with various opinions,few of which agree totally with the OP.
The EU earmarked millions of euros for this country because it is so backward as to be an embarassment in 2008. Most Bulgarians did not think their country was ready to join and laughed their socks off as they applied to leave the country and go elsewhere. It is one of the few countries in the EU whose population is decreasing--why do you think that is ?
The roads are repaired regularly because of bad workmanship each time- the main Sofia to Varna motorway sometimes has potholes which would wreck your steering if you went into them, and you cannot enjoy the beautiful scenery alongside many roads as you have to swerve around both potholes and unlit cars and donkey carts if driving at night.
As for property, it is possible to buy a village house in need of repair for £2,000 to £ 5,000, so davey must indeed have a wonderful place for £25,000. A decare[1,000 sq metres] of land is usually the minimum with a village house as the Bulgarians need that to keep their animals and grow crops. Have a look in some village shops to see what they sell, or better still what they don't sell.
As for driving around as much as you davey, I think in the past 2 years I have lived in Bulgaria, I have driven enough kilometres, visited enough villages, and spoken to enough Turks [Did you know that in many villages Bulgarians are a minority, and many children starting school can't speak Bulgarian ?], to get an idea of the area where I am based. There are other views than mine of course, but my opinions are based on living here not on jolly holidays. One reason most locals are friendly as you said, is because often they have just sold their old house to a foreigner for many times what a local would pay them.
Oh, and did you know that holiday companies have reduced the number of flights from UK to Bulgaria-in your words davey "These operators know what they are doing".
In case you think my 2 years of driving around here, and 2 years before that of not driving around , have not given me enough information to base my opinions on, I could always ask my wife to post her thoughts if she could be bothered. Why would that matter ? Well she has lived here for over 30 years and all her friends and family [Apart from me and our daughter !] were born here, and could fill pages with opinions similar to mine.
Good luck [Sincerely] with your house davey, but please be careful and read other sites to see what has gone wrong for many Brits, to help avoid the same fate.
Hope you've stopped laughing.

You obviously know what you're talking about. My wife and I would like to know what its really like to live in a village near Bourgas. We understand that it wouldn't be jolly holidays. We have travelled around a bit and have seen poverty up close. We would be moving out there with two daughters, ages 15 & 8. You mention the corruption, which we have seen at first hand, but does it really affect your day to day life or is it just money evaporating at political levels? The propertys that are for sale, would we be better off buying throug an agent whilst we are in the UK or should we head out there, rent somewhere and have a good look around with a local agent. We've heard stories of the vendor doubling the price as soon as they hear that a "European" is making an offer.

Be honest now, we can take it.

Also, what are the other forums that you're talking about. Out of interest, what part of the land are you in?

Thanks, Scott
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

carefreebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope I didn't sound too arrogant, but I would only claim to know about the things around me and which have happened to me or my extended Bulgarian family and friends.I live in the Varna area so know almost nothing about Burgas although perhaps many villages are similar.
I hope nobody objects to me saying that a site called my bulgaria is purely for Bulgaria and has billions of members who argue quite forcibly at times so you will get many opinions if you post there.
Rather than write an essay about things which you either know already or are of no interest, can you give me an idea what it is you want to know about village life ? The size and location of the village can make a difference also.
One way in which corruption can affect you is when you are involved in a minor accident, the registration number of the other car is taken by two witnesses, then the police come and tell you that you have made a mistake as no such number can be traced. Someone of course has paid someone to make that happen. There are positives also as you can make almost anything illegal happen or avoid punishment by paying the right people. Someone I know who opened a restaurant had to pay all sorts of taxes and get lots of documents whilst a Bulgarian competitor pays half a sheep regularly to make official visitors go away !
Almost everyone except agents will tell you to NOT buy from UK as you could easily get "caught" and either pay too much or buy trouble. If you have a village or two in mind it pays to visit regularly, chat with the local shopkeeper and mayor, also have a coffee and chat in a cafe or shop. Watch what happens around you and let it be known you want to buy but are not in a hurry. I have been offered places that way, sometimes at a high price first, but when you get to know the true "local value" you can afford to sit and wait as there are few buyers but many sellers.Word will travel quickly that someone wants to buy !
I would not want to buy through an agent as the price will be higher- use them at first perhaps to see what is on offer then travel to villages yourself. Until your Bulgarian improves [Mine is awful but I get my wife on the phone if needed] you could take a phrasebook and point, then if you really need fluent Bulgarian have a student or someone cheap on standby to take as a translator to discuss prices etc. For any legal stuff of course pay for an expert especially there, as scams are common.
Your daughters' schooling could be difficult if they don't speak fluent Bulgarian. I knew an English boy who had to return to a UK school because his Bulgarian was not good enough for him to get high enough marks in most subjects.
I think I have rambled on enough for now-any questions just ask and I will try to help.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carefreebrit
If you have a village or two in mind it pays to visit regularly, chat with the local shopkeeper and mayor, also have a coffee and chat in a cafe or shop. Watch what happens around you and let it be known you want to buy but are not in a hurry. I have been offered places that way, sometimes at a high price first, but when you get to know the true "local value" you can afford to sit and wait as there are few buyers but many sellers.Word will travel quickly that someone wants to buy !
This is such good advice!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Could anyone please advise me on the employment front. I am a HGV Driver in the UK and would wish to continue in this line of work in BG. I'm fully prepared to work for 1 peanut an hour as I guess most drivers do out there. I'm not afraid of hard work and quite happy to tramp all over europe. Ideally would be looking for something on the eastern side of BG.
Any ideas or pointers would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

hayley20 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i dont know if have read my thread i have left? me and my husband and 4 year old daughter are moving to bulgaria and dont know whayt route to take to get there from england do u know what places to avoid?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Rural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really nice

Hayley - when I drove here 2 years ago we did the Romanian route - France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania and across the Danube to Rousse. However Romania is awful to drive through, very bad roads, no motorway, crazy driving....others say that it is better to come through Serbia. Much depends on whatyou can get covered for insurance wise.

I agree with much of what carefreebrit says and I also live here but completely different area. The country is very beautiful and I have mostly found the locals to be very friendly, and genuinely so, not just to see what they can get from you, but it can also be a very frustrating place. Getting anything done takes forever, beauocracy is plain stupid, customer service basically non-existant......

As for buying property, whilst many will advice to avoid agents this is not always a wise idea. I am an agent here (sort of) and would say that an agents role is not just to show you property and deal with sale, but also act as a type of guide for the area, can help arrange viewing trips, much after sales stuff such as registration with tax agencies and so on. Doing all this on your own with little or no Bulgarian would be a nightmare.

But I would not buy from the UK. You need to come here, see the country, see different areas and properties and then make a decision as to whether Bulgaria is for you and where you want to be.

I imagine life in a village near Burgas is very similar to village life everywhere in Bulgaria, although maybe more expats and more expensive being closer to the coast.

I have posted my experiences from the last few years on my website and also run a forum on Bulgaria (accessed from website).

Rachel
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hayley20
hi i dont know if have read my thread i have left? me and my husband and 4 year old daughter are moving to bulgaria and dont know whayt route to take to get there from england do u know what places to avoid?
Have asked a few truckers, they all seem to think that Romania is best avoided. However, they are carrying cargo which is of value and the biggest problem they have is finding somewhere safe to park up for the night.

Where are you heading for?