Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Hungary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:02 pm   #1
enter 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 95
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Woodworm

Anyone know of an effective treatment liquid/spray to halt the infestation that you can buy over here (Hungary)
enter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 4:16 pm   #2
*********
Super Moderator
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 77,114
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodworm

I have moved your post into a new thread so it will not get overlooked in an existing thread.
__________________
You can take the girl out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the girl.
Saw it. Wanted it. Had a fit. Got it.
The higher the heels...the closer to God.


Please contact me here if you have any site related problems.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 6:01 pm   #3
Szeged Male
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Location: Szeged
Posts: 177
Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Woodworm

You need to search for Farontó Bogarak (which I have done for you ) - Termékek

Remember to sand down, etc the bad surface area(s) first, especially if the area was previously treated and/or lacquered, otherwise these sprays and paints wont work.
Szeged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:27 pm   #4
enter 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 95
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Woodworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeged View Post
You need to search for Farontó Bogarak (which I have done for you ) - Termékek

Remember to sand down, etc the bad surface area(s) first, especially if the area was previously treated and/or lacquered, otherwise these sprays and paints wont work.
Great thanks!
enter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:17 am   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 889
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodworm

Is the woodworm active? (Fine dust can be seen having come from the flight holes) If it is not active then it is generally considered not necessary to apply treatment, just maintain a watching brief.

Woodworm and other timber attacking insects need moist wood in order to survive. A moisture content of less that 11% will not normally get infected as there will not be sufficient moisture for the bugs to survive. Normally infestation will take place within the early years of a buildings life and once a building has been around for more than 15 - 20 years timbers will have dried out to the point that infestation is unlikely to occur. (the same applies to fungal attacks)

So IMO unless the evidence shows that the woodworm is active then there is no need to treat the timber, just keep an eye on the situation.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:22 pm   #6
enter 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 95
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Woodworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
Is the woodworm active? (Fine dust can be seen having come from the flight holes) If it is not active then it is generally considered not necessary to apply treatment, just maintain a watching brief.

Woodworm and other timber attacking insects need moist wood in order to survive. A moisture content of less that 11% will not normally get infected as there will not be sufficient moisture for the bugs to survive. Normally infestation will take place within the early years of a buildings life and once a building has been around for more than 15 - 20 years timbers will have dried out to the point that infestation is unlikely to occur. (the same applies to fungal attacks)

So IMO unless the evidence shows that the woodworm is active then there is no need to treat the timber, just keep an eye on the situation.
Timbers (pigsty)have been around for at least 50 years and I cannot see any dust just the small holes in the roofing beams,ventilated and dry, so I assume there is no need for treatment except keeping my eye on it ?
enter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 4:39 pm   #7
Pica Female
BE Forum Addict
 
Pica's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,165
Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodworm

Place some clean white paper under the holes, if you find sawdust the worms are still active. We tried in vain to treat woodworm in a huge oak table made many years ago and failed miserably. We shortened the length of the table and put the cut off bits wrapped in bags in the freezer for 12 months. Left the bags out of the freezer for a few months and on opening the bags we found sawdust!! The table now lives outside on the terrace.
__________________
Living in the vague hope that life may not just be an elaborate waste of time.
Pica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:21 am   #8
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 889
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter View Post
Timbers (pigsty)have been around for at least 50 years and I cannot see any dust just the small holes in the roofing beams,ventilated and dry, so I assume there is no need for treatment except keeping my eye on it ?
What Pica said about the white paper - and to make sure that the timbers are still structurally doing the job asked of them.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th 2017, 4:29 pm   #9
enter 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 95
enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Woodworm

Thank you all for the input which will help others i'm sure
enter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Hungary


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 3:38 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com