Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Woodburning stoves and flues

Woodburning stoves and flues

Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:39 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woodburning stoves and flues

Just a quick note of advise.

There is a British builder (cough cough) who believes it safe and legal to fit woodburning stoves by knocking a hole in the wall and using internal flue pipe to build an external flue system. This is not only illegal but also unsafe and could cause serious problems, including carbon monoxide poisoning.

Having spoken with our local planning department to clarify the issue, they advise that external flues are only allowed for gas appliances and they require fitting by a master fitter and a building permit. No doubt different areas have different legislation as apparently the aesthetic issue of these flues is decided on at a local level.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodburning stoves and flues

You can use a hole in the wall and flue (UK), BUT... the external flue needs a bigger diameter than the internal piping. Using narrow flue up the side of your house to above roof level will encourage the build up of soot/wood tar and potentially be a fire hazzard.

I only found this out when I had an Aga fitted a few years ago.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 6:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bob_bob, this is in the Hungary section LOL. Though I think regs might have changed in the Uk as it must be double skin insulated flue in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi bob_bob, this is in the Hungary section LOL. Though I think regs might have changed in the Uk as it must be double skin insulated flue in the UK.

Your quite right, I was really keeping things simple to be honest; the priciple of an outside flue is OK, how its done safely is another. I have a wood burner and stove at home and do use a small wood burner in my tent on winter camps, great stuff, very Ray Mears lol

Not been back to Hungary since 2008 and its nice to read through this forum
Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

To be honest Bob, I always thought it was a bit overboard, the minimum height must be above the ridge and the double skin etc. Then, coincidental, whilst looking at a property today, we noticed the neighbour had a "not to standard" flue fitted. As it was well below the required height and wasn't insulated - thus the smoke was cooling before leaving the flue - the smoke was gathering and been blown down into the garden and windows of the property we were viewing. Guess if you have a Yurt or log cabin in the back of beyond it wouldn't be a problem

Did you previously live in Hungary?