Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Are we in trouble then?

Are we in trouble then?

Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we in trouble then?

I think my main point is that no real opposition is unhealthy. Just seen a report that some of the opposition parties may struggle to continue.

I don't know.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Once the ruling party has a working majority then there is no real opposition anyway. In Hungary that means 50% +1 for most things and 66.666% (2/3) for constitutional changes. That is why the 132 seat figure is important here as that is the 2/3rds point. Orban has 133 seats, better than last time when he only had over 50%.

Of course if you don't get a working majority then you are at the mercy of any small party who wants to play ransom (e.g. Mrs. May and Mrs. Merkel) and I recall Belgium was without a government for a couple of years whilst they sorted out who could work with who. But then there are other systems, N Korea (Kingdom ?? now on the 3rd generation) China, - anyone as long as its the communist party and so on. At least we get the chance to change the government if they foul it up too much (e.g. the MSZP whose mess brought Orban to power.)
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Once the ruling party has a working majority then there is no real opposition anyway. In Hungary that means 50% +1 for most things and 66.666% (2/3) for constitutional changes. That is why the 132 seat figure is important here as that is the 2/3rds point. Orban has 133 seats, better than last time when he only had over 50%.

Of course if you don't get a working majority then you are at the mercy of any small party who wants to play ransom (e.g. Mrs. May and Mrs. Merkel) and I recall Belgium was without a government for a couple of years whilst they sorted out who could work with who. But then there are other systems, N Korea (Kingdom ?? now on the 3rd generation) China, - anyone as long as its the communist party and so on. At least we get the chance to change the government if they foul it up too much (e.g. the MSZP whose mess brought Orban to power.)
Maybe. Unless Fidesz changes the rules which they have before. I suppose now he must feel untouchable. After the last few years I do feel quite like just giving up on politics completely!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:04 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Giving up just because things haven't gone your way, is not a recipe for things to go your way in the future.

Stay engaged - talk, debate, persuade. And sometimes listen, too. It's the only way to both progress and personal growth.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Giving up just because things haven't gone your way, is not a recipe for things to go your way in the future.

Stay engaged - talk, debate, persuade. And sometimes listen, too. It's the only way to both progress and personal growth.
I'm grumpy as I have knackered my elbow and can't do anything at the moment. I plan on starting a Uni level Hungarian language course in the Autumn so that should help a lot as I should be able to talk with people properly by the end of it!

I was a Lib Dem prior to Clegg and the Coalition and I think that betrayal has coloured my views somewhat.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:27 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

So the Lib Dems betrayed you - now you hate conservatism in general?

Not sure I follow the logic...
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

So the Lib Dems betrayed you - now you hate conservatism in general?

Not sure I follow the logic...
Politicians will do whatever they need or want to get power. Therefore it is only right to be suspicious of them and not believe a word they say. There's a reason lots of people are very cynical when it comes to politics and politicians.

And conservatism has nothing for me and people like me and actively wants people like me to sod off.

Last edited by jetsam1; Apr 9th 2018 at 5:50 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Its funny that no one we meet ever admits to voting Fidesz and yet...
Just like the 'shy Tories' in Scotland!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:50 pm
On a grand tour

Politicians will do whatever they need or want to get power. Therefore it is only right to be suspicious of them and not believe a word they say. There's a reason lots of people are very cynical when it comes to politics and politicians.
Sure, but that duplicity and ambition is not limited to adherents of any particular political view.

And conservatism has nothing for me and people like me and actively wants people like me to sod off.
On the contrary... I get the impression you've lived in Hungary, reasonably content, for some time. Yet it's a country that, by European standards, is and always was quite conservative, long before Orban came along. A little contradiction, perhaps?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but that duplicity and ambition is not limited to adherents of any particular political view.

Quote:

On the contrary... I get the impression you've lived in Hungary, reasonably content, for some time. Yet it's a country that, by European standards, is and always was quite conservative, long before Orban came along. A little contradiction, perhaps?
I'm confused - conservative or Conservative
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBA77
I know very little about politics and less about Hungarian politics however with a voter turnout of over 68% and Oban and his lot getting over 48% of the votes, surely the people have spoken!.

Is this not how democracy works?
Totally agree!
I know nothing of politics in any country but surely the voters had their say. Simple as that, like it or not.
The state of the country has definitely improved in the time I have been here, my teacher friends income has almost trebled, the smaller streets in the town which were all dirt have now been tarmaced (possibly with Euro assist) there is a massive increase in car ownership, surely a sign of the extra wealth felt by the populous.
And if Oban wants to declare himself Emperor my view will be irrelevant anyway.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I need to train myself to stop caring and take my progressive politics and shove them in the bin. Going to disengage and they can all do as they wish. I will accept I am in a minority and go away. My ballot paper for the Local Elections for the UK will probably be spoiled.

- Just been on the news that there are accusations of voting fraud due to the "failure" of the electronic voting system.

I'm probably on a list somewhere now......
Old Apr 10th 2018, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They are watching us and we encourage them by appearing on fora like this !
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:24 pm
On a grand tour

It's definitely a glass-half-empty world where Jetsam is, at the moment!

C'mon, exactly nothing is going to change in your everyday life - stop being so negative!

:-)
Old Apr 11th 2018, 10:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I fear Jetsam is going to worry himself into a very bad place.