Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Are we in trouble then?

Are we in trouble then?

Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are we in trouble then?

Super majority coming for Mr Orbán...... Who's next in his crosshairs then?

I wonder what he will do next? I'm sure becoming PM for life must have crossed his mind..... Or maybe a selection of celebratory football stadiums in villages of his mates..........?

My wife is getting depressed.

Just shows aiming for the lowest aspects of humanity works.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we in trouble then?

Well, well well.

I think we are in for an interesting few years then. Another super majority for Orbán. He can do whatever he wants now with no opposition. His ego and arrogance will know no bounds now! I think this may be the end for a pluralistic political landscape as Fidesz have captured the state already and now they can gerrymander and legislate against any opposition to their hearts' content. This is what May and the Tories would dream of!

I think we just give up now, after this campaign has shown to be so successful I give myself over to cynicism over the future of humanity.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Well, well well.

I think we are in for an interesting few years then. Another super majority for Orbán. He can do whatever he wants now with no opposition. His ego and arrogance will know no bounds now! I think this may be the end for a pluralistic political landscape as Fidesz have captured the state already and now they can gerrymander and legislate against any opposition to their hearts' content. This is what May and the Tories would dream of!

I think we just give up now, after this campaign has shown to be so successful I give myself over to cynicism over the future of humanity.
I assume you are not Hungarian citizen. In that case remember: if you don't like what the government does, there is no barbed wire round Hungary. Move to greener pastures if you find any.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Same process and campaign style that brought us Brexit. Nowhere else would be any better or different.

Just surprised at the difference between people and the public. I think people are surprised at this result but on the turnout it is pretty emphatic.

Not moving again, my wife is Hungarian and two kids. Will be interesting to see if Orbán gets vindictive with the opposition or actually starts sorting out some of the real issues in the country. Or his ego gets in the way like most politicians.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Life will go on ...
And not only for us expats there is the option of leaving. My wife's sister is a retired teacher in a small town in the East - her colleagues are all complaining that they are alone in old age now - their children (well educated ...) all moved abroad to Britain, Germany, France, Switzerland ...
They come home maybe once a year - if at all, for holidays there are many other options.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
Life will go on ...
And not only for us expats there is the option of leaving. My wife's sister is a retired teacher in a small town in the East - her colleagues are all complaining that they are alone in old age now - their children (well educated ...) all moved abroad to Britain, Germany, France, Switzerland ...
They come home maybe once a year - if at all, for holidays there are many other options.
On balance Hungary is still a fine place to live, It's just depressing that a campaign like this can be so successful. Relentlessly negative and paranoid playing to the lowest instincts with no vision for a positive future.

Demographics are going to bite Fidesz on the arse though as they run out of people to actually work!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

jetsam, I've often written (on other sites ...) that this might be a return to the Kádár times - when holidays at the Balaton were cheap and people were willing to "do anything" for you for small money ...
Though for Hungarians of course this looks different - I won't tell you what my wife said!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1
On balance Hungary is still a fine place to live, It's just depressing that a campaign like this can be so successful. Relentlessly negative and paranoid playing to the lowest instincts with no vision for a positive future.

Demographics are going to bite Fidesz on the arse though as they run out of people to actually work!!!!
"with no vision for a positive future."

He isn't the only one with no vision. Merkel has none either. What they have in common that they hang on and get simpletons voting for them.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:03 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Jetsam... it's not as if any left-leaning parties or movements have ever indulged in nepotism, gerrymandering, legislating in their interests, negative campaigning or paranoia - right?

The man has won, by any fair measure, a landslide victory. A clear majority obviously believe he represents their best interests. You and others may not agree, but - unless you're privy to some bombshell inside information - there's no reason to suspect the end of society as you know it. Why the stream of - ahem - negativity?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

GBA77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know very little about politics and less about Hungarian politics however with a voter turnout of over 68% and Oban and his lot getting over 48% of the votes, surely the people have spoken!.

Is this not how democracy works?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny that no one we meet ever admits to voting Fidesz and yet...
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:03 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps that's the 'Budapest bubble'...?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
To some degree, yes.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Jetsam... it's not as if any left-leaning parties or movements have ever indulged in nepotism, gerrymandering, legislating in their interests, negative campaigning or paranoia - right?

The man has won, by any fair measure, a landslide victory. A clear majority obviously believe he represents their best interests. You and others may not agree, but - unless you're privy to some bombshell inside information - there's no reason to suspect the end of society as you know it. Why the stream of - ahem - negativity?
+1
Whilst you lot may complain about Orban - look at the alternatives

When this lot took over 8 years ago the national debt was enormous and largely unknown at election time. Now people are (feeling) better off, unemployment is down, families have been given centre stage and several measures are in place to make going to western Europe less attractive. i.e. help Hungarians to stay in Hungary. In fact Orban felt so confident about the economy that he felt it was not necessary to campaign about it! instead he was concentrating on the threat (yes threat) of the uncontrolled migration into Europe and Germany's idea to spread their unwanted migrants around Europe
Old Apr 9th 2018, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
+1
Whilst you lot may complain about Orban - look at the alternatives

When this lot took over 8 years ago the national debt was enormous and largely unknown at election time. Now people are (feeling) better off, unemployment is down, families have been given centre stage and several measures are in place to make going to western Europe less attractive. i.e. help Hungarians to stay in Hungary. In fact Orban felt so confident about the economy that he felt it was not necessary to campaign about it! instead he was concentrating on the threat (yes threat) of the uncontrolled migration into Europe and Germany's idea to spread their unwanted migrants around Europe

I can think of least 5 (probably more) in my block (of 10) who would almost cerainly have voted Fidesz (though populist views are rarely discussed in "polite" company), 2 who I know would have voted Momentum, the others - don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.