Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I don't agree. In UK I would cheerfully have the kettle, toaster, microwave and fridge-freezer all on at once but in Hungary (in a property wired to modern standards) I would be aware that the whole lot were going through a 16 amp mcb rather than a 32 amp ring main mcb.
The mcb is to protect the wiring and has nothing to do with the appliance(s) loaded on to the circuit. In the UK there is a 32A mcb because the theory is that each way around the ring can carry 16A so a total load could be 32A. The problem with a ring main is that if there developed a fault (broken wire) then each side of the fault could carry 16A and you would never know - until you loaded up one side (of the fault) with all you mention above with the wiring capable of 16A but protected by a 32A fuse, a recipe for a fire or melted wiring.

With the Hungarian radial system the wiring is rated at 16A and there is a 16A mcb, so if you load as above and exceed 16A then the mcb trips and the wiring is safe.

The answer to your above load in Hungary is to have 2 radial circuits in the kitchen and all is safe. The answer in the UK is to run the lot on a ring main and hope that you never get a fault near one end of the ring main and so get a fire.

PS the fuse in a UK plug is to protect the wire from the plug to the appliance, which could get 32A in a fault condition and melt. A plug fuse is not needed in Hungary as it is reckoned that the 16A mcb would trip before an appliance flex would cause a fire.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jul 22nd 2016 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbite101 is an unknown quantity at this point

The hassle I had yesterday in Nagykanzsia trying to buy some 4x2
Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I found I couldn't buy tongue and groove floorboards or skirting board, I had to use planed planks for both jobs. The suspended floor is not so firm without the T&G but better than the old rotten floor it replaced.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I found I couldn't buy tongue and groove floorboards or skirting board, I had to use planed planks for both jobs. The suspended floor is not so firm without the T&G but better than the old rotten floor it replaced.
Tongue and groove is available. We had loads for our floors. Not sure exactly where it was bought though it would be in the Pest Megye/Budapest area.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

No problem getting T&G around here, (Tapolca) its called Hajópadló, it is 20x 116 - 146 x 4m (width varies according to manufacturer) and price is 3000 - 4400/m2

For skirting board you can get PAR boards but if you wanted something a bit fancy you would have to put some moulding on top.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed like the timber yards in Nagykanizsa catered mainly for farmers rather than builders so there were plenty of fence posts etc but not much else. I was with the husband of Rural Hungary when I fetched the stuff so I was guided by him about where to go. I did get some thinner T & G for panelling round the walls.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=fidobsa;12011544I did get some thinner T & G for panelling round the walls.[/QUOTE]
Which, for those that don't know, is called Lambéria
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Tuzep also stock T&G. All the ceilings in my house are tongued and grooved.