Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

As I am keen (at some point in the future) to apply for Hungarian citizenship I read this article but found it to be extremely vague so I did a little more digging.
I found this which may be of interest to anyone over 60: Examination in basic constitutional studies:
The applicant may enter for the exam at the metropolitan government office in person or via mail by filling in the application form.
The examination fee is the amount corresponding to fifty percent of the statutory minimum monthly wage (minimum wage) in effect.
The following persons shall be exempted from the examination:
• persons with no legal capacity or with limited legal capacity,
• a person who graduated from a Hungarian-language educational or higher educational institution and he/she attaches to the application the copy of the certificate attesting the qualification or the diploma/degree, certified by a notary public or the institution which issued the document,
a person over 60 years of age at the time of submission of the application,
• a person who provides proof that due to a permanent and irreversible deterioration of health he/she is not capable of passing the examination and he/she attaches to the application the statement thereof issued by the health institution competent according to the nature of the disease.Here is the official site where all the information is to be found: Naturalization

I also found which is a snippet from the blog of a person who helps people to prepare to the exam:
One area however which you probably won’t find a huge amount of information on, is the level of Hungarian knowledge you will need in order to be successful at the interview. In the past year I have helped a number of clients prepare for their interview and their feedback was as follows:

Helpfulness.
All my clients have said the people conducting the interviews were very helpful. We all know that the Hungarian language is a difficult one to master and I am delighted to see that they are not expecting fluent, native speakers; but they are certainly expecting you to be able to communicate in Hungarian.
Small talk.
Most of my clients had a little chat at the beginning of the interview about how they felt, the weather, etc.
Application form.
This probably comes as no surprise, but they will go through your filled-in application form, ask you questions (in Hungarian, of course), etc.
Biography.
Some people were asked questions with regards to their biography.
Next steps.
During the course of the interview the next steps of the process were discussed and applicants always had a chance to ask questions.
Connection.
Most of my clients commented after the interview that they had a chance to prove they had a place for Hungary and the Hungarian language in their hearts.

And this from a person who commented on the same blog who'd looked into the finer details:
Hi, I intend to apply for the Hungarian citizenship and I have been informed that in order to apply I first need to pass an exam based on Hungarian history, culture, geography and Constitutional Knowledge. The procedure consists in a written and oral examination. One will have to answer in Hungarian, in written, 2 questions: one from Hungarian history or geography or culture and another one from Constitutional Knowledge. If one passes the written exam, there is an oral exam, again with 2 questions. I have received a flyer with 20 questions to prepare for the exam and a book to help the candidates prepare for it (the book costs 3500 HUF and you’ll have buy it from their office, when you skedule the date of the exam). For example, it is expected of the candidate to be familiar with the Hungarian flag and coat of arms, to be able to say the first verse of the National Anthem, to know how is the mandate of the president generated and terminated, What are the main responsibilities of the president, to know: the date of the extinction of the House of Árpád, the legislative activities of Parliament, government, the local government legislation, party, trade unions and other representative bodies. All this in Hungarian, verbal and oral.
It doesn’t sound like they are going to ask you about the weather. It doesn’t sound easy at all.

...Just found this loophole as well:
(7) By recommendation of the Minister of Internal Affairs, the President of the
Republic may grant exemption from the criteria of evidencing Hungarian
domicile and means of support and the criteria of passing the examination in
basic constitutional studies, if having the petitioner naturalized is in the
overriding interest of the Republic of Hungary.

Which I read to mean that they can pretty much make anyone they want a citizen without jumping through all the hoops if there is a good enough reason

Last edited by PaulinEger; Jun 29th 2016 at 8:12 am.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
I found this which may be of interest to anyone over 60: Examination in basic constitutional studies:
The following persons shall be exempted from the examination:

a person over 60 years of age at the time of submission of the application,
Well that's me well in then, even though I still think it will not be needed because in the end there will be no Brexit.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Well that's me well in then, even though I still think it will not be needed because in the end there will be no Brexit.
I'm starting to wonder if the momentum is starting to go that way....... Going to be chaos regardless.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Real impact time. The honey buyers have stopped buying honey.

We can't sell our produce. We are now seriously in trouble.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

You mean buyers in Britain or generally? Here in the markets (Kesthely, Hévíz) a lot od honey is sold.

PS and a bit OT:

We also regularly bring honey to friends and family in Germany, though not on a commercial basis. The price and the quality are really good, our "customers" tell us!
Old Jun 30th 2016, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfi
You mean buyers in Britain or generally? Here in the markets (Kesthely, Hévíz) a lot od honey is sold.

PS and a bit OT:

We also regularly bring honey to friends and family in Germany, though not on a commercial basis. The price and the quality are really good, our "customers" tell us!
We decided to aim at wholesale this year as we quickly found the year was poor and I frankly am still struggling even nearly a year (major bowel surgery last July, just 34 but oh, that just about finished me). We had a basic agreement with a buyer and then after the referendum total veto. And that goes for them all. The money for buying lots of bottles and the renting the pitches at markets is too much for us right now as that wasn't budgeted for for at least a year maybe two. We're just not set up for that and this year was supposed to help get a bit more advanced in the set up.

Maybe I shouldn't have woken up. Might have been better!
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

In Croatia they tend to have co-operatives that will take the produce from small producers, this is the one local to me for honey:

Kontakt | Pčelarska zadruga apimed

Is there not some similar organisation in Hungary?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
In Croatia they tend to have co-operatives that will take the produce from small producers, this is the one local to me for honey:

Kontakt | Pčelarska zadruga apimed

Is there not some similar organisation in Hungary?
There may be but I am still too furious to be able to think straight. All I can think is I am so happy I kept the UK house........
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

What a mess ..... Nigel Farage has quit, Boris Johnson has been stabbed in the back by Michael Gove! Whose left to get the best deal for UK????
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to get political but I think Teresa May would be a good choice, globally, strong determined females do seem to get more done than all the male leaders.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jetsam.
Sorry when I started reading your comments I assumed the bees were only a sort of hobby with a bit of profit.
Obviously it is somewhat more than this, could you give some indication of the amount of honey your happy little workers are producing, you never know who might know someone who knows someone who might be interested, never hurts to get the info out there.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jetsam.
Sorry when I started reading your comments I assumed the bees were only a sort of hobby with a bit of profit.
Obviously it is somewhat more than this, could you give some indication of the amount of honey your happy little workers are producing, you never know who might know someone who knows someone who might be interested, never hurts to get the info out there.
Hi, we have someone coming this afternoon to take samples so we will have to wait and see.

Yep, we are trying to build a business up as self employment as Ostermelo seemed a better prospect long term than local jobs. And anyway even with a good Msc my industry has basically stopped hiring and getting into Hungarian Geology (spent 6 months on it!) does appear a bit of a closed shop.

For the honey it's been a poor year really. We have 3 x 180 Kg barrels Acacia honey and so far 3 x 180 Kg barrels mixed honey. This is what we are aiming to go to wholesale. We are keeping a few barrels back for local sales etc.

We're not huge but at the moment it is a enough that we are in trouble if we can;t sell!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok so I might have to retract my earlier view that Brexit would not actually happen.
Seems Teresa May who will be PM later today has agreed that brexit means brexit.

But I think the fact that the UK parliament have got their act together and are working quickly to find solutions to the referendum result should give confidence to the world markets and result in a stable pound, and hopefully for us ex pats a good deal with the remainder of the EU for the future.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok so I might have to retract my earlier view that Brexit would not actually happen.
Seems Teresa May who will be PM later today has agreed that brexit means brexit.

But I think the fact that the UK parliament have got their act together and are working quickly to find solutions to the referendum result should give confidence to the world markets and result in a stable pound, and hopefully for us ex pats a good deal with the remainder of the EU for the future.
At least it's not Leadsom.... She has far too much baggage. It has been entertaining to see Gove so unceremoniously dumped!

May, well, she is on the record as wanting to remove the Human Rights Act and leave the ECHR so if you are living in the UK enjoy being treated as a human while you still can!

I still have little faith the current set are even capable of negotiating with good faith or effectiveness as frankly all the cards are in the EUs favour. May will not get access to the single market unless she accepts free movement. Not having tariff free access to Europe for the financial sector (the main earner for the UK) will create havoc. What else does the UK actually do/make? So potentially we could end up with membership of the EEA a la Norway. Allright for us but a major problem for the UK. I'm still unsure as to whether leaving completely every European institution will happen I think May has been pushed forward by the Tory high command to start a damage limitation exercise and maybe soften up opposition to either push Article 50 into the long grass, vote it down or accept membership of the EEA.

I don't see parliament actually getting to grips with it at all. I just see a bunch of headless chickens obsessed with their infighting and forgetting what they are elected for. I think it's telling that all the major faces of the Leave campaign are nowhere to be seen and have run away from the consequences of their actions. And there are serious consequences. Like the almost certainty Scotland will leave the UK if Article 50 is triggered and let's not start on Northern Ireland.........
Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

TheCrosbies is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are right Duztee, hopefully she will get everything in order and everything should start to stabilise. The FTSE climbed to an 11 month high and the GBP seems to be starting to stabilise.
Keeping a keen eye on it as we are looking to buy really soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.