Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jun 25th 2016, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If you haven't got residency yet - in your place I would apply for it soon based on your wife being Hungarian. I'm not sure of the exact regs. however I believe that non EU people need to prove income whilst EU members do not, either way if you don't have residency IMO you should get it soon

I had to provide proof of income when I applied for residency in January 2012. This was in the form of 2 bank statements showing rent payments from my tenant in Scotland.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

After some consideration and although I have a settler status in Hungary, being an EU citizen (i.e. a citizen of a member state of the EU) gives advantages living here that following Brexit I would loose, therefore I have decided to apply for Hungarian citizenship.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly the wider issue that Hungary may also decide to withdraw from the EU is now more likely.

The Leader here has already given a radio interview making the point that the EU has failed to answer the questions asked by the Hungarian parliament, not in itself a statement of intent, but one of growing dissatisfaction.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if Visas would be made difficult by the government? I'm still not convinced the Visegrad group would actually leave too? Too many people in power playing political games.

I do have my residence and all the cards too (ADO, TAJ etc). Just struggling with the language as two small children limit your time.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

If Hungary leaves the EU, they'll even have more need of any money that tourists and expats might bring - so they won't make it too difficult to visit/live here.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
After some consideration and although I have a settler status in Hungary, being an EU citizen (i.e. a citizen of a member state of the EU) gives advantages living here that following Brexit I would loose, therefore I have decided to apply for Hungarian citizenship.
Out of interest, I am assuming you need to be fluent in Hungarian to apply for citizenship if you live here?
Old Jun 25th 2016, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Hungarian Citizenship Now Much Easier To Obtain - Xpatloop.com - Expat Life In Budapest, Hungary - Current affairs
Old Jun 25th 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks. So no Hungarian roots or no Hungarian marriage basically bars you from applying.
Old Jun 25th 2016, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

So basic conversational Hungarian then? Say hello, how are you and basic statements about you and your life? Ok, that's achievable......
Old Jun 25th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jetsam1
So basic conversational Hungarian then? Say hello, how are you and basic statements about you and your life? Ok, that's achievable......
You do have to understand the questions though! This is the thing with learning a language, they can teach you questions and answers but they can't teach you every possible answer to a particular question or every possible wording of a question like "How are you?".
Old Jun 25th 2016, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
You do have to understand the questions though! This is the thing with learning a language, they can teach you questions and answers but they can't teach you every possible answer to a particular question or every possible wording of a question like "How are you?".
Exactly. Always a way to catch you out In my last Hungarian exam everything was in Hungarian, i.e. all the instructions even though it was at B1 level. The invigilator spoke only in Hungarian so I had to watch other people to see when I had to turn over the paper. lol
Old Jun 25th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does anyone know anyone who has done it? I could in theory go for it next year apparently as I have a Hungarian wife and Hungarian children and it's reduced to 3 years apparently.......!

So potentially can be safe then. I assume that the test would be much like the UK citizenship test which I understand was pretty challenging even for a local! So history, culture, language etc. What sort of level of speaking/written language? I will be relying on books and my Wife though....
Old Jun 26th 2016, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Did you look at my link? I assumed that the simplification referred to meant that now they only test you on language, not history or whatever.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Did you look at my link? I assumed that the simplification referred to meant that now they only test you on language, not history or whatever.
I also checked the webpage of the President's Office and a few other places and they all mention a constitutinal test. Whether that has changed again very recently and no-one has updated any of the official documents yet I don't know. I would expect they would want evidence of knowing howthe country worked and some background too I would have thought?

I'm still frazzled from Saturday morning.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder where this places me being deaf? I would need assistance via a sign language interpreter. I have a deaf friend in Hungary who was born in Egypt and he is now a Hungarian citizen so should I decide to go down this route I'd ask him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.