Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK-EU Driving Licence in Hungary

UK-EU Driving Licence in Hungary

Old Dec 13th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK-EU Driving Licence in Hungary

My wife is Hungarian and we're planning to move to where her family live in about 10 years time. I have now visited Hungary 6 times since 2003.

I have read that a UK-EU driving licence can only be used for 1 year in Hungary after which it must be changed for a Hungarian driving licence. I understand that I would be subjected to a medical exam, theory/technical exam and I think something else which I forget.
Is the above correct? Is there a way round it?
I believe all drivers have to have a medical exam every 5 years and if you are disabled it is 3 years. Correct?
I'm rather hoping that before we move in 10 years time Hungary will fall in line with the standard EU driving requirements. As I am deaf I'm going to be subjected to the 3 yearly medical exam. I'm learning Hungarian slowly and hoping I'll have enough to get by every day life in 10 years time. I'm confident I will learn Hungarian Sign Language quite fast although it won't be too much of a communication problem with Hungarian deaf friends of my wife because some of them have knowledge of International Sign Language.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-EU Driving Licence in Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger
My wife is Hungarian and we're planning to move to where her family live in about 10 years time. I have now visited Hungary 6 times since 2003.

I have read that a UK-EU driving licence can only be used for 1 year in Hungary after which it must be changed for a Hungarian driving licence. I understand that I would be subjected to a medical exam, theory/technical exam and I think something else which I forget.
I believe all drivers have to have a medical exam every 5 years and if you are disabled it is 3 years. Correct?
I'm rather hoping that before we move in 10 years time Hungary will fall in line with the standard EU driving requirements. As I am deaf I'm going to be subjected to the 3 yearly medical exam. I'm learning Hungarian slowly and hoping I'll have enough to get by every day life in 10 years time. I'm confident I will learn Hungarian Sign Language quite fast although it won't be too much of a communication problem with Hungarian deaf friends of my wife because some of them have knowledge of International Sign Language.
It seems no one knows the answer to the above!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

To the best of my knowledge under EU reciprocal arrangements an EU photo licence is acceptable and you dont need to change it, although you do need to fall in with local laws

However, a UK photo licence needs renewing every 10 years (see the expiry date on the front of the card) and you will need a UK address to have the new licence issued to
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
To the best of my knowledge under EU reciprocal arrangements an EU photo licence is acceptable and you dont need to change it, although you do need to fall in with local laws

However, a UK photo licence needs renewing every 10 years (see the expiry date on the front of the card) and you will need a UK address to have the new licence issued to
Thanks Mitzyboy - my main concern is that it's likely Hungary will become my main residence so won't have a UK address and it seems the only way round this is to use an address for another member of my family.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mitzyboy - my main concern is that it's likely Hungary will become my main residence so won't have a UK address and it seems the only way round this is to use an address for another member of my family.
Yes for sure. The additional problem would be if you lost your UK licence .... then you wouldnt have anywhere to have the replacement issued to
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:55 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FenTiger, sorry but I just noticed this post.
To the best of my knowledge, you are referring to the terms of the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, which the UK did not ratify and as such you would be correct in assuming that your license needed naturalised and subsequently would require a medical test, first aid test as well as a theory test.
However, since joining the EU I believe the EU driving license is acceptable in Hungary and the new EU driving license due to be implemented in 2013 must be accepted by all member states. Laws implementing this license are to be adopted in January 2011 and come into effect in 2013. This will apparently replace all other licences from all member states, will be valid for 10-15 years and it appears that only cat C and D will require a five yearly medical exam.
If my understanding of this new license is correct, you should not have any problems.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rural Life Hungary - Thanks so much for your posting. I'm glad to learn about the new driving licence being implemented in Hungary around 2013. It'll be great for my Hungarian wife too. Apparently when she first came over here she had to learn to drive all over again. She's lost her Hungarian driving licence and it would probably be invalid as it has never been updated since!

Phew - feeling alot better now because I do want to be able to drive in Hungary and not have to resort to a horse and cart!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:04 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Phew - feeling alot better now because I do want to be able to drive in Hungary and not have to resort to a horse and cart!
LOL in this weather a horse & cart would probably get you further!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rural Life Hungary
LOL in this weather a horse & cart would probably get you further!
I take it you are already in Hungary. My wife's family live in Malyi, near Miskolc. They had -18C over last weekend. Having experienced a winter over there a couple of years ago I found -15C much less colder than over here where it penetrates the bones!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has succeeded in exchanging his UK driving licence for a Hungarian one.
He first got a medical certificate from his GP.
He went to the office at the local town hall, took his UK licence, passport and residence card. He got the forms filled and a yellow slip.
He went to the Post Office with the yellow slip- handed over 4000 forints.
He went back to the town hall with a receipt and was given a temporary licence.
Two weeks later he went back and collected his new Hungarian licence.
Using a UK licence with an out of date UK address is dodgy. You would be liable to a stiff fine in the UK. He needed a new licence as the photo card was about to expire. It even turned out cheaper than in the UK. A word of warning though, my Hungarian friend ( who speaks perfect English) and just happens to work in the town hall was a lot of help! I just wanted everyone to know that it can be done.
Thanks to Mark for the "How To" guide.

Last edited by stromnessdundee; Apr 14th 2010 at 12:41 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for this info. I'm 10 years away from moving over there so am monitoring this carefully. I'm deaf too and the rules for deaf drivers are slightly stricter. I have a Hungarian deaf friend who has to wear his hearing aids as a condition to drive, however, this is only stated on his paper licence and he also has a photocard licence which omits this. I wear a hearing aid so don't see any problems with this.

This part has been a big worry for me because I do want to be able to drive in Hungary and not have to resort to horse and cart!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:36 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stromnessdundee
My husband has succeeded in exchanging his UK driving licence for a Hungarian one.
He first got a medical certificate from his GP.
He went to the office at the local town hall, took his UK licence, passport and residence card. He got the forms filled and a yellow slip.
He went to the Post Office with the yellow slip- handed over 4000 forints.
He went back to the town hall with a receipt and was given a temporary licence.
Two weeks later he went back and collected his new Hungarian licence.
Using a UK licence with an out of date UK address is dodgy. You would be liable to a stiff fine in the UK. He needed a new licence as the photo card was about to expire. It even turned out cheaper than in the UK. A word of warning though, my Hungarian friend ( who speaks perfect English) and just happens to work in the town hall was a lot of help! I just wanted everyone to know that it can be done.
Thanks to Mark for the "How To" guide.
That is very useful on the driving Licence - thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point

So has any one got any advice on how a non european a Temporary Visitor to the EU can apply for a EU driving Licence using there native licence as a exchange.

Therefore they are Licenced , therfore they don't have to do any tests

I am trying to find a EU country that will give me a EU driving licence Exchange

I have tryed the websites and there all scams just taking peoples money and not providing anything.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 9:31 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by warrigal
So has any one got any advice on how a non european a Temporary Visitor to the EU can apply for a EU driving Licence using there native licence as a exchange.

Therefore they are Licenced , therfore they don't have to do any tests

I am trying to find a EU country that will give me a EU driving licence Exchange

I have tryed the websites and there all scams just taking peoples money and not providing anything.
As far as I know you are only able to use a non EU driving licence for a certain period of time, and after that you have to take the test. The International Driving Licence is not what people claim it to be. The licence exchange only applies if your country has an agreement with the country you are moving to.

Depends where you are from, but I seem to remember for instance the period from the States to the EU is either a 12 or 6 month period, sorry I cant be more specific
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough

my hubby also changed his licence over when he was 70.
all the medical consisted of was reading numbers off a chart.
it was so simple and quick.